PDA

View Full Version : About the iraq video

lorraine_2406
15-Feb-06, 18:03
First of all everyone that posted replies on the last thread about the video you have not a clue what you are talking about yes everyone has there opinion and yes it wasnt a nice thing to see those iraqis getting beaten up but did anyone stop to think what went on before they beat up the iraqis the british soldiers were getting bricked and shot at but was that flimed NO my husband is out there and has seen young children walking about with guns so please be careful what you say as it can upset alot of people if you do not no all the facts.

shrek_donkey
15-Feb-06, 18:21
what you have just said lorraine is what came into my mind it never shows you what went on before the event but everyone is so quick to judge the soldiers which is wrong they need our support.

lorraine_2406
15-Feb-06, 18:29
what you have just said lorraine is what came into my mind it never shows you what went on before the event but everyone is so quick to judge the soldiers which is wrong they need our support.

Thankyou someone that agrees yes the troops out there need our support not people bad mouthing them when they never seen what happened before the iraqis got beaten but that bit wasnt filmed so i will leave it up to other people to think about why the riot wasent filmed but the beating was

thankyou for your support

JAWS
15-Feb-06, 18:36
You can't show the whole story, it spoils the propaganda.
The rules are, one side can behave however they wish but the other bow to every single rule that can be dreamed up by the biased few.

Gleber2
15-Feb-06, 19:30
Thankyou someone that agrees yes the troops out there need our support not people bad mouthing them when they never seen what happened before the iraqis got beaten but that bit wasnt filmed so i will leave it up to other people to think about why the riot wasent filmed but the beating was

Totally with you and totally agree with your sentiments. There is no right and wrong in war, only pain and death.

wickerinca
15-Feb-06, 20:10
I'm here for you Lorraine. I hope that I, nor any of my friends and family, will never have to deal with the things that your husband has to deal with. I applaud our soldiers for carrying out their duties under constant danger and hope that they wil be home soon, safe and sound.

Propaganda is indeed a powerful tool.

landmarker
15-Feb-06, 21:05
Lorraine....by criticising the replies, I take it you do not condemn the original post, which was an attempt at balance.

Nor can I believe ALL the replies were at variance with your views. I can understand your emotion and I wish you and your man well.

JAWS
15-Feb-06, 21:27
landmarker, I rather think Lorraine 2406 is disgusted at the "spin" put on the video by certain posters who only wish people to take one viewpoint.

abalone
16-Feb-06, 04:17

Dear lorraine as an ex-servicemans wife I'm with you all the way..With British troops those youths got a good hiding,I'm not so sure they would have got the same with any other troops,far worse I would say.

lorraine_2406
16-Feb-06, 07:39
Dear lorraine as an ex-servicemans wife I'm with you all the way..With British troops those youths got a good hiding,I'm not so sure they would have got the same with any other troops,far worse I would say.

yeah i totally agree with you also as you no what i am talking about its hard being an army wife sometimes when things like these are said we need to support our boys they are doing a great job and making a real diffrence to iraq it is family and friends and members of the uk that keep the boys going when they know they have the suppot of there country 100%

thankyou lorriane

badger
16-Feb-06, 12:02
I don't believe anyone in this country thinks that a few bad apples, which you get in every occupation of whatever kind, are in any way typical of the majority. Look at the damage done to the Roman Catholic church by paedophile priests - they are a minority but the ripples affect the whole church and the attitude of those at the top does little to help. That is precisely the same as the situation where a very few bad soldiers spoil it for the rest and in Iraq the result is extremely serious because it makes the job of the others so much more difficult and dangerous. Not so long ago our soldiers could walk around in normal uniform making friends, playing football with the children, doing what they were sent to do. Now that has changed and they are in constant danger because, due to the actions of a small number (and that includes those at the top), they are seen as enemy rather than liberators.

The fact that this is an unpopular war makes things even harder both for forces and their families - it must be so much more difficult when they cannot even be sure that what they are being told to do is right. I hope that the families of all our forces in Iraq know that the fact that some do not agree with the war does not lessen, indeed it increases, our admiration for those who have to carry out their government's orders whatever their own feelings.

JAWS
16-Feb-06, 15:15
The problem is precisely because it's an unpopular war and some people will use anything the troops do to further their views on that.
They will use any misdemeanour by the troops in an attempt to turn the public against them.
They wish to see the Governments of Britain and America humiliated over Iraq. If that means making the situation there more dangerous and get more troops killed in order to do that then that is the price they are willing to see the troops pay.
Who cares about a few dead squaddies if you can get the pleasure of sitting smugly and saying, “I told you we shouldn’t have been there!”
The more bodybags come home the better it makes their case. There is nothing more likely to cause more deaths than a belief that sending more bodybags home will get rid of us.

I’ve been puzzled why a video of British Troops from 2004 and of America Prisoners being humiliated from 2003 should suddenly become headline news at the same time and so long after the incidents.
Could it have anything to do with the fact that there is a UN report due out this week about Guantanamo? Or could it be just an unfortunate coincidence?

Has anybody got any ideas about what might connect certain Newspapers here with TV Channels in Australia?
I wonder how long those pictures and the video have been salted away until they can cause the most problems?

The anti-war believers and the media play their little games and the troops are made to pay with their lives.
“Encourage them to send the bodybags back so we can prove we were right to object!”
What a despicable way to behave. Who needs enemies with friends like that!

cuddlepop
16-Feb-06, 15:46
As with any story there is before and after but if after is going to make more spin or whatever then that is what is prodcasted.Lorraine our thoughts are with you.Jaws is right no matter where you are there will be bad apples.:mad:

badger
16-Feb-06, 16:03
Jaws you seem to be getting totally confused over this. What on earth makes you think that Brits and Americans who opposed this war want our troops killed in order to justify their beliefs? Where did you get this twisted idea, if that is what you are saying? Any bad behaviour by the British and American Governments or their troops is ammunition for terrorists and anyone else who hates the west but it does us absolutely no good.

I remember saying to my daughter when the invasion of Iraq was declared that they were opening a Pandora's box they would never be able to close again - maybe Hope is still lurking in there somewhere but she's hard to see just now. The overthrow of Saddam was a good thing but that's about all that was good. The absence of planning for what would happen after was a disaster, quite unbelievable. One of the saddest sights I have seen this week was the funeral on tv of a young soldier who had told his family on his last leave that he did not want to go back. I have seen absolutely no evidence that anyone who opposes the war wants a single soldier to come to harm.

The media involved in these releases have no morals or sense of responsibility, they only care about making money. I don't have much time for whoever supplied them with the videos and photos in the first place, again presumably to make money and/or cause trouble. Unfortunately it is only publicity that forces the governments to take action - without it the torture and ill treatment would continue. There is no right in any of this, just one wrong after another with too many innocent troops and civilians suffering while the President and Prime Minister refuse to accept responsibility.

If I misunderstood what you said then I'm sorry but please don't equate people who are anti-war with those who want to see our soldiers killed.

scotsboy
17-Feb-06, 09:40
On First reading I was enraged at the analogy between the soldiers and pedophile priests but actually on closer examination it is probably a very good one. It is assumed that these soldiers are a rouge element working alone and of their on volition, I would hazard a guess that their superiors were fully aware of what they were doing and therefore complicit in the actions.

JAWS
17-Feb-06, 16:06
Jaws you seem to be getting totally confused over this. What on earth makes you think that Brits and Americans who opposed this war want our troops killed in order to justify their beliefs? Where did you get this twisted idea, if that is what you are saying? Any bad behaviour by the British and American Governments or their troops is ammunition for terrorists and anyone else who hates the west but it does us absolutely no good.

If I misunderstood what you said then I'm sorry but please don't equate people who are anti-war with those who want to see our soldiers killed.
Re-running and dribbling out parts of incidents which are three years old and many of which have already been dealt with can only be for one reason.
Presenting it in a way that indicates it is a new discovery can only lead to many coming to one conclusion.
Check on the way the video and the "New" pictures of the prisoners is being presented by the Media in the Middle East.

You siggest my ideas are twisted, well if they are it is because I have seen them used before. I have seen Anti-war Protests before. I have heard all the terms I have used before. I had some very good teachers and a long memory.
First create a feeling of horror about the actions of the troops you send. Only mention the bad things they do. Make the troops feel like their efforts are being wasted, their lives worthless and that everybody is against them. Keep insisting their moral is low. Insist that the other side have justice and right on their side and that the troops are the enemies of freedom.

And, most of all, prevent the other side from being shown in a bad light and if they are tell everybody that it is the fault of the troops that were sent for being there.

Does any of that sound familiar? Have you never heard any of that being mentioned?
You as an individual may not wish to see our troops killed but there are others far less sensitive about such things who are more than willing to use such tactics for their own political advantage. There are those who wish for the bodybags to come home and greet each additional one with a quiet smug satisfaction whilst weaping Crocodile tears for the Cameras.
By doing that they can say, "We told you so, we were right all along!"

Sorry, in my world there is good and bad on both sides. There is no black and white only very dirty and murky shades of grey.
Much shouting was done at the beginning of the Iraq War insisting what it would turn into.
The same tactics are being used in an attempt to make that true.

If, "Get the troops out." does not work then there will be suggestions of a cease fire. Wait, watch and see.