PDA

View Full Version : Newbee - Looking for a new Pal

nobby159
25-Feb-09, 22:25
After the loss of Jess our loving collie to cushings disease just before Christmas we now feel ready for a new family member as the place seems so empty.
Jess was with us for nearly nine lovely years, a rescue dog from Balmore. So Sunday past we paid the centre another visit looking for another pal. We connected with one dog a collie cross, but unfortunately it was spoken for. So the quest goes on for a new family member.

ShelleyCowie
25-Feb-09, 22:57
I dont suppose that collie was called Shep? There is a 1 year old collie on their website that i saw called Shep, he looked gorgeous!!! Me and my OH was thinking about rehoming him but we are looking for a kitten just now.

nobby159
25-Feb-09, 23:07
Not Shep Shelly, though he is a lovely dog, full of life and those ears and big eyes. Well under weight when he was brought in, but the staff at the centre have worked their magic and he is nearly back to weight.

ShelleyCowie
25-Feb-09, 23:12
Not Shep Shelly, though he is a lovely dog, full of life and those ears and big eyes. Well under weight when he was brought in, but the staff at the centre have worked their magic and he is nearly back to weight.

Ahhh u are supposed to tell me "yes it was Shep" because now i am just going to want to go see him and take him home with me!! lol.

I hope you find a new companion soon...im off to pester the OH to see if he will let me get Shep! :D It will likely be a no for now.

EDIT - My OH is phoning about Shep tomorrow! AHH IM SO EXCITED!

nobby159
26-Feb-09, 00:15
Brilliant, good luck, what do I say, it's a Collie crossed with a Tigger, it's bottoms are made out of springs, it bounces all over the place.
:lol:

jean
26-Feb-09, 00:24
have you tried phoning here they usually have collies in..its on the black isle.
http://www.munlochyanimalaid.co.uk/

ShelleyCowie
26-Feb-09, 00:25
Brilliant, good luck, what do I say, it's a Collie crossed with a Tigger, it's bottoms are made out of springs, it bounces all over the place.
:lol:

Oh i really do hope we get him. Want to spoil him and make it feel as homely as possible!

My OH has had a collie before. And i am quite used to dogs, ie the walking etc etc...but it gives me a reason to pull my bum away from this chair and get out walking again. :D

ShelleyCowie
26-Feb-09, 13:15
Well i phoned about Shep this morning and he actually already has a new home, sad on my part cos i was kinda looking forward to it. Asked about the other dogs and they are not sure about rehoming if i have a cat! :(

Never mind my search will continue and hopefully shep gets on great in his new home! :Razz

nobby159
26-Feb-09, 20:41
Shelly, sorry the Shep was not to be, you were so excited about the possibility. The good thing as you say is that Shep has a home and fingers crossed a good one. :D

nobby159
26-Feb-09, 20:51
Jean many thanks not seen this place before, maybe because I have not looked hard enough, will try over the weekend.
Has anyone had dealings with Munlocky any comments

ShelleyCowie
26-Feb-09, 21:30
Shelly, sorry the Shep was not to be, you were so excited about the possibility. The good thing as you say is that Shep has a home and fingers crossed a good one. :D

It is a shame, and yes i was so excited, i was up til the very early hours thinking about it and right away at 10am i was straight on the phone! But as you said, he has a home and hopefully a good one! :Razz

feegilmour
26-Feb-09, 21:45
munlochy not the best the people there not very helpful i found the last couple times went and they have funny openin times canna mind wot they r now tho

nobby159
26-Feb-09, 22:33
Thanks for the snippet Feegilmour, the times are on the web site, closed Friday and Monday

bothyman
26-Feb-09, 22:49
>> http://www.munlochyanimalaid.co.uk/

Maybe of help

jean
26-Feb-09, 23:40
Iona who runs it has been nominated for an MBE. she really puts her animals first thats why she has opening hours for visitors as shes off walking dogs whatever at other times. its all voluntary so shes not open all day every day.she has a lot of work mucking out etc as she has all sorts not just dogs and cats.
Ive known loads of folk to get dogs from there and she is more than helpful. It might help to phone first and ask some questions before you go all the way there as she may not have in what you are looking for but she would put you on a waiting list maybe.
Opening Hours

Monday - Closed all day
Tuesday - 10.30am - 11am & 6.15pm - 7pm
Wednesday - 10.30am - 11am & 6.15pm - 7pm
Thursday - 10.30am - 11am & 6.15pm - 7pm
Friday - Closed all day
Saturday - 11am - 3pm
Sunday 1pm - 3pm

01463 811722or 07740237728

purplelady
27-Feb-09, 12:28
After the loss of Jess our loving collie to cushings disease just before Christmas we now feel ready for a new family member as the place seems so empty.
Jess was with us for nearly nine lovely years, a rescue dog from Balmore. So Sunday past we paid the centre another visit looking for another pal. We connected with one dog a collie cross, but unfortunately it was spoken for. So the quest goes on for a new family member.have pm you x

nobby159
01-Mar-09, 11:22
Search is over (we hope) :Razz
First off many thanks to all the advice and help from the Orger's
Now enter Cody, a collie x lab, one year old all legs and brawn. Cody is the dog we saw last week at Balmore, but was spoken for.:~( But fortunately for what ever reason the placement did not happen,:D and we were able to bring Cody home yesterday. Now the training starts isn't bribery wonderful.
Big thank you to the SSPCA staff at Balmore
And a big thank you again to the Orger's

ShelleyCowie
01-Mar-09, 11:40
Aw that is awsome news! Glad you could give Cody a home! :Razz

(I got myself 2 new wee friends, called Gizmo and Jox) [lol] Adopted 2 gerbils yesterday so happy families all around!

You got any pictures of Cody?

nobby159
01-Mar-09, 11:52
Shelly
That's brilliant ;)
Will take some later and try and post them
Cheers

cuddlepop
01-Mar-09, 13:39
Thats fantastic news.

I'm sure you'll have great fun and lots of tales to tell us over on pets forum, collie cross labs are "bouncy".:D

Ps Beardies are "screwballs" just ask teenybash.We've had 6 months with ours and i could write volumes.:lol:

teenybash
01-Mar-09, 14:16
I bet Cody is just the happiest wee soul around............and you too nobby. Enjoy your new friend for many years..........a lovely story....Just waiting for the pic now and all the funny tales!:D

unicorn
01-Mar-09, 14:20
Cody was obviously meant to be for you :D I am sure you have a great future together and many long walks ahead :D

nobby159
09-Mar-09, 15:53
It's one week on now and I would have posted sooner but I could not find the USB lead for our camera
No action shots yet, just a contented dog
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j303/nobby159/Cody/2009_0309Cody0019.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j303/nobby159/Cody/2009_0309Cody0017.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j303/nobby159/Cody/2009_0309Cody0021.jpg

Shabbychic
09-Mar-09, 16:01
What a lovely dog. He has such a healthy sheen to his coat and looks so happy. I wish you many years of fun together.:)

ShelleyCowie
09-Mar-09, 16:33
Awww Cody is lovely! How are things going settling in? :Razz Looks very happy!

nobby159
09-Mar-09, 16:34
Looks like the picture links have worked
Firstly, again can we thank all .Orger's for their well wishes

Cody has settled in and is a lovely affectionate well behaved dog. Far better than we could have imagined considering the time he spent in the home and what we were told about him.:lol:
First night he wrecked three kitchen rolls and one toilet roll, ate a complete packet of eight Kit Kats, and left one smelly message.:rolleyes:

Since that first night, nothing smelly or wet to greet us in the morning and nothing chewed (tempting fate), that's not his. He has a large range of chewy toys that are in various states of demolition

Cody gets two main walks a day (all weathers), both no less than two miles this is a young dog with boundless energy. I have never liked choke chains or collars for walking on the lead (choke chains have their place but not on our dog), so Cody has a harness and walks well on the lead.

Cody is a dog that loves water, the walks in our area allow for him to be let off the lead to get a good run, and once off the lead he seeks the drainage ditches and runs hell for leather up and down these.
The local burn was too tempting even in spate and Cody launched himself head first from the bridge, my heart was in my mouth as he disappeared below the water. Up he came seconds later spluttering and swam to the bank, out of the water shook himself of then took off hell for leather down another drainage ditch, as if nothing had happened.:eek:

No walk is boring with this dog

teenybash
09-Mar-09, 20:33
What a great story nobby telling us about the handsome Cody. He looks a real live wire, full of fun and energetic antics stacked up to fill the future.
He is a very lucky young man. Keep telling us about him and more pics too.:)

BalmoreSSPCA
09-Mar-09, 22:48
It is brill to see "Cody" settled in his new home. He looks very happy. He was a lovely boy and deserved to find such a lovely new home. Thank You

Liz
09-Mar-09, 23:45
What a beautiful dog Cody is.:D

Well done for giving him such a great home. Well done also to the SSPCA for taking care of him until he got his forever home.