PDA

View Full Version : The Boys Brigade Hall

trinkie
24-Feb-09, 08:46
The Boys Brigade Hall

Sometime ago we had a great thread about the Barrogill Hall now let’s cross the river and share our stories of the BB Hall.

For me it was the Concerts and Pantos and wonderful plays put on by the Wick Drama Group. But surely for all of us it would have been the Saturday night Dances. In my time the Band was The Blue Rockets, and how they played as we danced and jivved and quick-stepped around the Hall.

Nights before we would look out our best frock and have it all ironed and ready for the dance. Then hair would be washed and curlers put in, and on the big night a faint touch of lipstick – if your father approved ! It never cost much to get in, and once inside the boys were already standing along one side and the girls usually sitting on the other side. In between, the floor would be prepared with the slippery stuff to make dancing easier ! We girls sat nervously waiting, hoping, that some cheil would ask us to dance. Then…… across the room …… was he coming for me…. Panic…..NO ! He invited my friend to dance . And so it went on. But sometimes a young lad did ask me to dance and how I loved it.

Mosser
24-Feb-09, 18:05
Oh aye Trinkie, who can forget the hall floor going up and down to the Palais Glide. Then there were the socials and later in the very early 60s the Fehelly brothers introduced Monday night record hops, the forerunner of discos and no alcohol, just lemonade and crisps, we were high enough on the music and girls!!

DeHaviLand
24-Feb-09, 18:15
The Boys Brigade Hall

In between, the floor would be prepared with the slippery stuff to make dancing easier !

Its called Sliperene. Haven't seen it or heard about it in ages.:)

Whitewater
25-Feb-09, 00:52
Yes 'trinkie', I remember it well, always made sure I was in time to catch the bus down from Thurso. I remember (Johnny Durrand) we called him 'Johnny the Dummy' searching us at the door to see if we had any booze hidden away, if he found it you always had to give him a dram to get it in. The Blue Rockets were a great band, just had started going to the dances when they were on the go. The nights with the Maurice Lynch Irish show band were terrific and they had many other fantastic groups as well.
I remember well rushing over the floor for the lassies, who knows????? we may have been dancing together trinkie, did I ever walk you home???? mmmmm I wonder????

trinkie
25-Feb-09, 08:43
Mosser - Now that brings back memories. What was that tune we danced the Palais Glide to?

DeHaviland, you're right of course , it's called Sliperene. If you were early enough for the dance, someone was just sprinkling it on the floor and we would chase after him, sliding all over the place, till we got shooed away !

Whitewater, I was never searched at the door, they could spot a good living Week lassie I suppose! Alas, no lad ever 'rushed' over the floor to dance with me either. ( I would have fled to the back room) But as for walking me home - was it you I waltzed up the Cliff road with well after midnight, with the moon high and the frost just touching the rooftops ? I kept a diary !

A generation or two have missed out on dancing like this, but I'm glad to see it's being introduced to schools again.
The lads in the BB Hall were all most courteous, asking politely and returning you to your seat with a 'Thank You' What happy times !

trinkie
25-Feb-09, 08:49
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LWI85z3yh8

Look what I've found !! It's not quite the Blue Rockets, but it will do for now...... Everybody on the floor !

Heuch !!

Whitewater
25-Feb-09, 11:32
Hi trinkie, that was a really good link. I think they still do something like that in the Backer on a Thursday night. Mrs Whitewater attends when the mood takes her.
Waltzing up the cliff on a frosty night? could have been!!!, the moon was always pretty high with me in those days, trouble was I always had to leave too quickly as I had to get back down to the riverside to get the bus back to Thurso, I'm sure catching or missing that bus must have decided the fate of many young lads and lassies from both Thurso and Wick. Nothing like that now for the young people, it's a pity really, we had some wonderful nights at the BB hall.

pat
25-Feb-09, 11:48
going to the pantomime at the BB Hall - I used to sit absolutely enthralled by all the colours and lights, wondering what was going to happen next.
Can remember going to dances there but cannot remember much about them - except used to wonder how the folk in Ashley House opposite on the lane used to manage with all the comings and goings on dance nights (but in those days it would be finished long before midnight).
Cannot think where I was - saw slipperene being used a couple of years ago, it brought back memories as have not seen it sprinkled on floors for years.
Did they used to have a little balcony above the entrance door or is my memory playing tricks?

Mosser
25-Feb-09, 19:05
yes Pat there was a balcony over the door area, it dated back to when the hall was a roller skating rink, built 1910, then it was a cinema and when the new Pavilion was built in High Street the Boys' Brigade bought it for their HQ,
Mosser

domino
25-Feb-09, 20:30
What about the bird Show which took place very early in the New Year

golach
25-Feb-09, 20:41
I remember being up north in '59 in January, and going to the Dances in the BB Hall at the weekend, by bus from Thurso, getting to Wick around 9pm, and the males all rushing to the Nethercliffe to get a few rounds in before 9:30 closing, then to the dancing, with a hidden quarter bottle, good music, nice lassies, and fun on the bus back to Thurso :cool:
My memory had faded these days, I cannot remember if the dancing in Wick was a Friday and then the Town Hall Thurso on a Saturday, but we had great weekends in those days.
I had to walk home to my Grannies in Scrabster in 'e snow, each Sunday, after staying with my pal Eddie, Friday & Saturday nights.

pat
25-Feb-09, 20:54
Oh dear yes I remember the bird show - reminds me of time took uncles wee sheltie, entered him in the dog show - embarrassed, up on stage dog would not move at all, trying to get him to walk, he just sat, refused to move for anyone or anything, (must have been about 7 at the time - me not the dog it was only a new wee pup, never entered a dog for a show ever again!)
I always have a wee chuckle when I see a dog show advertised and imagine the folk having a good laugh at my antics in those long forgotten days.

trinkie
26-Feb-09, 08:51
Pat, I don’t think anyone was allowed on the Balcony in my time. But the Pantos I remember well, having taken part in one. How I loved it, I agree it was sheer magic. I loved the scenery and back drops, done I think by a Scout, Ian MacKenzie.

Mosser, was that cinema what my grannie called The Magic Lantern Show? Way before our time of course ! When I went to The Pictures, she would always ask if it was a ‘Talkie’ !

Domino, I had forgotten about the Bird Show, that was on New Year’s Day I think. A big Day for the enthusiasts. I do recall a radio programme around 1961 ‘Down Your Way’ which came from Wick and they spoke about the Gala Parade. The audience was told it was a grand affair, with the Salvation Band leading, followed by the Pigeon Fanciers. I yearned for my home town and had thoughts of Willdag Miller and his big green Pigeon shed at the side of his shop in Huddart Street.

Golach, Yet another Thurso lad coming to Wick for the dancing – or the girls? I wonder which.
I’m sure the dances were always on a Saturday night. Later there was a Wednesday night Dance in the TT Hall, I think it cost a penny or two more to get in. For my first dance there, I made myself a super blue dirndl skirt, out of a remnant from Charlie Begg’s . It did the trick for I met my husband that night !

Another exciting time in the BB Hall was the Jumble Sales. I think it was the most popular venue and always had a good crowd pushing and shoving to get at the bargains. There was always a queue down the Lane and a mad dash once the doors were open. At that time, not long after the war, folk were more than eager to find a bargain, or anything of use. That was long before Charity shops, and most things were still rationed. Of course if you were connected to the organisation which was holding the Jumble Sale, then you had to go round the houses asking for their Jumble ! It was always a good way of raising money.

Bring back Jumble Sales !
Trinkie.

golach
26-Feb-09, 09:56
Golach, Yet another Thurso lad coming to Wick for the dancing – or the girls? I wonder which.
I’m sure the dances were always on a Saturday night.
Trinkie lol, we Thursa lads were no daft, there were lassies from Thursa on the bus too, and the journey back to Thursa was nearly as much fun :roll: as the dances, no doubt the Wick lads and Lassies enjoyed the same journey when they came through to the Town Hall:D

Venture
26-Feb-09, 10:22
I too recall the Bird Shows on New Year's Day, going with my Dad who was a local pigeon fancier. I'm in the wrong age bracket for attending dances at the BB hall but I do remember having a stab at the ballet lessons when I was about 6 or 7 given in the hall by "Bellie Ballet". I also remember concerts and Christmas pantomines there too.:)

dirdyweeker
26-Feb-09, 12:43
Oh aye Trinkie, who can forget the hall floor going up and down to the Palais Glide.

I am sure the BB Hall can be let out in an afternoon. How about you take the lead and we all join in to learn the Palais Glide? A new form of Keep fit instead of our music and feather dusters!;)

jimbews
26-Feb-09, 14:05
Pat, I don’t think anyone was allowed on the Balcony in my time.

I’m sure the dances were always on a Saturday night.

I'm sure the balcony was off limits to everyone.
Was it maybe used for storage?

Dances must have been Saturday as Friday night was BB night.

My father (who was BB chaplain) used to recall how he would get stick from RR Sinclair (Free or U/F Church?) about "that den of iniquity".

JimBews

Mosser
26-Feb-09, 17:10
I'm sure the balcony was off limits to everyone.
Was it maybe used for storage?

Dances must have been Saturday as Friday night was BB night.

My father (who was BB chaplain) used to recall how he would get stick from RR Sinclair (Free or U/F Church?) about "that den of iniquity".

JimBews

Yes Jim it was for storage, tent poles etc., but if the BB boys were ushers at concerts, plays etc it was a great vantage point, great memories of your dad, at camps he hiked us off our feet!!!

Mosser
26-Feb-09, 17:15
Mosser, was that cinema what my grannie called The Magic Lantern Show? Way before our time of course ! When I went to The Pictures, she would always ask if it was a ‘Talkie’ !

No Trinkie it was the early movies introduced by a Mr Aubrey, are you sure you are too young for Magic Lanterns?? especially if you were whoopin' it up in the BB Hall in a dirndl skirt!

Mosser

piratelassie
27-Feb-09, 01:15
Yeah your all showin your ages now lads and lassies, I was just a slip of a girl living close to the BB hall and when I was supposed to be tucked up in bed asleep I was sittin by the window listening to the music and watching the goings on. But I do remember the bird show and ANDY STEWART concerts and panto's. When I was older it was socials where the boys had to envite the girls, but it was so embarassing when we had to dance.How things have changed...:roll:

trinkie
27-Feb-09, 08:51
Venture, Which birds were they showing ? I can think of Budgies and Pigeons and a Parrot owned by a lady in Argyle Square, but it would be interesting to know which others there were.

Dirdyweeker, What a brilliant idea, I’m all for that! There’s one in our midst right here, who can do a mean Palais Glide. Not the genteel version we saw on the clip, but the Week version with some fancy footwork and a kind of galloping and louping across the room. Ideal for Keeping Fit. I’ll go ahead and book the hall. Bring your own leotard and tackedy boots.

Jim Bews, Are you coming to the Keep Fit class ? You could shed a few pounds by the summer I think. As for RR Sinclair, poor soul, he was always so miserable. I bet when he reached the Pearly Gates St Peter would have asked him ‘’ Why did ye not go to the BB Hall when I provided such for your entertainment – ye missed all the fun lad’’ Your father however, was always such a nice smiling character, cycling through the town with a greeting for everyone.

Piratelassie, The little bairnie tucked up in bed while we were having a great time in the BB Hall. Yes, we’re showing our age because we’re proud of it, and we have so many wonderful memories to share. Don’t forget we had just come through the War, but we came through smiling, and continue to share our memories with each other.
I hope you went on to have a good time in Wick too , don’t forget music and dancing are nature’s antidote, so make sure you get enough ! Now I’m preaching !

Mosser, So the boys went up to the Balcony when it was the Ladies Choice ! I wondered where they were all going as I crossed the room…….!

Mosser
27-Feb-09, 10:10
Trinkie,
I can't imagine boys hiding in the balcony when you were around!! does anyone remember the first hypnotist to come from the south to perform in the hall,what a laugh that was, I think he was Edwin Heath no relation to Edward who was a different kind of hypnotist.

dirdyweeker
27-Feb-09, 13:12
Trinkie.....I am off to the loft to rake out those tackedy boots.!;)

trinkie
28-Feb-09, 08:52
Mosser, I remember hearing about the Hypnotist, but I wasn’t there on the night.
That could explain a lot of things, so I wont snap my fingers just yet.

Dirdyweeker, I hope you made it to the loft and back safely? Do the boots still fit?
I’ve had to juggle with a few seams on the old leotard, I don’t suppose the odd gusset will show on the night.

Yet another fond memory of the BB Hall was the end of Festival concert.
After a week of competitions those who took First Prize were invited to perform at this special event.
There was such a variety of talent in the town it made a wonderful show. All ages participated and the packed hall showed their appreciation.
Another special treat was The Grand Youth Concert on the 12th April 1951. Tickets 3/- and 2/-
And what a show the Yoof of that time put on. The Wick Youth Orchestra sat in front with their Leader, Miss Henderson, fondly remembered by many. I can picture her sitting there in full control, with her hat on. She taught and encouraged so many youngsters at that time, and we are reaping the benefits to this day!

After the War there was a huge movement to introduce music to our communities once again and we grabbed the opportunity eagerly.
It was good to see the smiles of pride on the faces of the parents.

Trinkie

davie
28-Feb-09, 09:39
I am amazed that patrons of the BB Hall from the era in question still have the wits to press computer keys and write in good English - they must all be round the clock a couple of times by now.
On a serious note(which I don't do very often) - I have really enjoyed this thread so far - its a pleasure to read.

trinkie
28-Feb-09, 10:12
Davie, We Rocked around that very Clock ! Nowadays though still dancing, it’s more of a gentle Strip the Willow. In between life has been full to bursting with each passing year a veritable kistful of joys. There have been downs too of course but we bounce back.

I’m glad you are enjoying the Thread, and I look forward to reading yours in a few years’ time.

Trinkie

piratelassie
28-Feb-09, 23:25
Yes trinkie I have enjoyed this thread to,as I enjoyed listening to the lovely music all those years ago,when I was supposed to be asleep.hope you are still dancing.

poppett
01-Mar-09, 00:39
Wonderful memories Trinkie. Have sent you a pm.

horseman
01-Mar-09, 09:06
trinkie-just caught up with your bb hall thread.
Great-Blue Rockets indeed!
The place to be on a saturday night. With a 'bit o luck' ask a girl-can I see you home?------heart in mouth--throat choked up-
ok.--
An the fact that they lived in Milton & the coastguards house just seemed to add to the pleasure-
We did seem to walk miles in those days, an in the Wick weather!!
Thanks for a memorable thread:)

airdlass
01-Mar-09, 09:20
Trinkie, once again a very enjoyable thread to read. :cool: Thankyou for sharing your memories and keep them coming.

trinkie
01-Mar-09, 11:26
Thank you – glad you are enjoying the memories.

I’ve been thinking about the Blue Rockets but cant remember the names of the talented group who played in the Band.
My favourite guitarist of course, was the Janitor of the Academy . We were all so proud of him as he sat there playing so effortlessly.
Whatever the dance, traditional , rock n’ roll and modern, he could play them all. It was because of him that I bought myself a guitar as soon as I could, and play it to this day.
In the warmer days the Janitor would bring his guitar to school and sit there on the wall playing for the children at playtime! What fun, he inspired us more than the teachers.

The Trumpeter was Donald – could be Dunnett, I’m not too sure, but if anyone can give the names of all the band – and even a photograph, I would be delighted.

Trinkie

golach
01-Mar-09, 11:39
Trinkie, another thank you for this thread, this was the age when it was fun to be a teenager, simple pleasures, good music, and no mind blowing substances being hawked around, I would no like to be a teenager today.

trinkie
01-Mar-09, 12:06
Thank you Golach, You are so right. We were having a most wonderful time enjoying the simple pleasures of life, there was no need for anything else.
I don’t remember ever being bored. Like Bob, I was always high on life. We all worked hard and likely had commitments at home too. Remember we had no mod cons, and very few of us had a telly! I suppose Radio Luxemburg was what we enjoyed . ( who sang In a Babbling Brook?)

The walk home was a great way to finish off the night – and calm us down. Mostly in the early hours, we would leave the hall in a group, and arm in arm singing the latest catchy number, we would deliver our friends safely to their door. Boys and girls together. A father, who had been waiting up, would sometimes shout ‘’Did ye hev a good time?’’
It wasn’t unusual to go into your friend’s house for some tea and biscuits and there we would go over all the
goings on. ‘Who did ye dance with?’ ‘Did ye see her dress!!’ ‘He wis wearing drainpipe troosers ! ‘’ etc etc.

In the morning we were up as usual and preparing ourselves for a day in Church. Morning Service, Sunday School, Evening Service and Youth Fellowship , where we met our dancing friends and talked over the goings on in the BB Hall the night before !

golach
01-Mar-09, 12:18
Trinkie, shoosht, I have to admit it was Donald Peers :)

trinkie
01-Mar-09, 12:31
http://www.nme.com/video/id/mla7PAG1JPs/search (http://www.nme.com/video/id/mla7PAG1JPs/search)

One for Golach - clever you !! My memory lets me down rather too often.

Trinkie

Venture
01-Mar-09, 13:25
Thank you – glad you are enjoying the memories.

I’ve been thinking about the Blue Rockets but cant remember the names of the talented group who played in the Band.
My favourite guitarist of course, was the Janitor of the Academy . We were all so proud of him as he sat there playing so effortlessly.
Whatever the dance, traditional , rock n’ roll and modern, he could play them all. It was because of him that I bought myself a guitar as soon as I could, and play it to this day.
In the warmer days the Janitor would bring his guitar to school and sit there on the wall playing for the children at playtime! What fun, he inspired us more than the teachers.

The Trumpeter was Donald – could be Dunnett, I’m not too sure, but if anyone can give the names of all the band – and even a photograph, I would be delighted.

Trinkie

I think the trumpeter might have been David Dunnett. If it's the 60's you're referring to re the janitor at the Academy School could it have been Mackie Macdonald?

davie
01-Mar-09, 13:37
Trinkie, Your trumpeter was I think David Dunnett who is now resident in the USA somewhere but was 'home' not that long ago. I had a few good evenings in his company just after the BB hall times (some I can remember and some I can not !).

Mosser
01-Mar-09, 18:22
I remember the time that the Clyde Valley Stompers came to the BB Hall, what a night that was, the hall was packed, they were one of the big sounds of the time, ah, sweet memories of youth

davie
01-Mar-09, 20:22
I know its slightly off track for the present thread (my apologies in advance)but I pinched this extract from another place :

As he climbed the steps which led to the makeshift dancehall, young Willie Wilson was a little uncertain as to what kind of evening was in store for himself and his elder brother, James. A Barn Dance, even at Horace Henderson's Scrabster Farm., sounded suspiciously like a typical squeezebox and fiddle hash of traditional Scottish tunes. Nothing wrong with that, but when you were a regular expresso customer at the 'Ard Tigh' coffee bar in Princes Street, you considered your tastes to be, well ... sophisticated. After all, the coffee bar was where the cool schoolkids went at 4 o'clock to snap their fingers to jukebox rock 'n' roll, smoke, dish the dirt with the pretty assistants, and rub along with some of the young Dounreay scientifics, out for an evening away from Ormlie Lodge.

The music hit them even before they reached the dancehall door. A tight, jumpin' version of the swing classic, American Patrol, sounding so professional that Willie thought his ears deceived him; entering the crowded hall he was inclined to rub his eyes. On stage were five men immaculately dressed in navy blue tuxedos, black trousers and crisp white shirts, quite at odds with what one expected a Barn Dance band to look like. But this was the Blue Rockets, a Wick dance band famed throughout Caithness.

Formed in 1950, the Blue Rockets had a musical core of Jimmy Young, sax; George Lyall, accordian; John 'Mackie' Macdonald, guitar, and drummer Henry Taylor. Trumpeter Davie Dunnet was, more often than not, a regular performer with the Rockets, who never, save for when drink-deluded audience members offered their services, employed a vocalist. With soloists like Jimmy Young and Davie Dunnet, who needed a singer?

Occasionally, visiting musicians would guest with the Rockets. Amongst all the new faces at the Dounreay construction site it was inevitable that there should be a few talented instrumentalists; Patrick Flood, for instance. Flood was a Dubliner, an accomplished trumpet player who sometimes joined the Blue Rockets for a set or two. Then there was 'Jeck' Stewart from Ellen, who could coax a tune from any old piano. Any style, any tempo, 'Jeck' played the lot, even standing in at short notice when teen idol Terry Dene's piano man went AWOL before Dene's Thurso concert.

There were plenty of would-be guest performers, too, especially self-proclaimed 'great sax men', come from the south to give the locals a few lessons in technique. They'd teach Jimmy Young a thing or two if he'd just hand them his sax. He did - and they didn't. Jimmy's saxophone was a one-man instrument, personalised by the addition of sundry rubber bands and pads, and with its reed scraped with a razor-blade. A superb technician who would have made the grade in any dance band, Jimmy Young based his style on the great Sidney Bechet. Whether he was blasting out the lead riff of a drivin' jiver or caressing the melody of a slow waltz, Jimmy was never less than excellent. His fellow Blue Rockets were every bit his equal as they turned out three tunes-in-a-row dance numbers, five night a week from 1958 to 1962.

It was hard work and regular late hours for not much money. Then there was the endless expense of sheet music for the latest tunes everyone was hearing on the radio, learn-by-the-ear rehearsals, and the dubious pleasure of playing on when half the audience were involved in a push 'n' shove melee in the middle of the dance floor. The Rockets performed for energetic crowds of dancers who would jive, tango, samba and jitterbug the night away at venues like Thurso Town Hall, Dounreay's Boston Camp, Reay Drill Hall and the B.B. Hall in Wick where they played memorable gigs in support to a visiting comedy jazz band called Dr Crock and His Crackpots, and to George Chisholm and His Footwarmers, who included in their line-up one George Melly, now famous as a jazz and arts critic. The after concert party was, apparently, a somewhat sociable affair, George Melly being introduced to the visual delights of Reiss at 5 a.m., although whether or not he was fully aware of them is open to conjecture.

The Blue Rockets broke up in 1962, the members going their own ways. Henry Taylor went on to join Bill Johns, who had himself played with the Rockets in the late 50's. Jimmy Young concentrated on his TV and Radio business. Davie Dunnet is presently in Florida, still playing trumpet with a dance band over there.

trinkie
01-Mar-09, 22:21
Gosh, many thanks for all of that Davie - I must keep it on record somewhere, it's so interesting.
Say 'hallo' to Davie Dunnet when you next see him.

Mosser - you mention the Clyde Valley Stompers, and my feet are already tapping ! Why am I thinking of Nancy Whisky, did she sing with them ?

davie
01-Mar-09, 22:49
Trinkie, here you are - yet again I have plaigarised it off Google - all about Nancy Whiskey -

Nancy Whiskey
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Nancy Whiskey (Anne Alexandra Young Wilson, Bridgeton, Glasgow, Scotland, 4 March 1935 – 1 February 2003) was a Scottish folk singer, best known for the 1957 hit song, "Freight Train".

While attending art school in Glasgow, Wilson performed on the local folk club circuit where she met fellow singer and guitarist Jimmie MacGregor who introduced her to blues and hillbilly music. She took her stage name from a Scottish folk song, 'Nancy Whiskey' which has a chorus of: "Whiskey, whiskey, Nancy whiskey, Whiskey, whiskey, Nancy-O."

She was signed to Topic Records and moved to London in 1955. Although reluctant to surrender her reputation as a solo performer, she was persuaded to join the Chas McDevitt Skiffle Group to record Elizabeth Cotten's song "Freight Train". The record made the top five in the UK Singles Chart in 1957, and she also toured the United States with McDevitt’s group.

After a second, smaller hit, "Greenback Dollar", Whiskey left the group to resume a solo career and marry musician Bob Kelly, who became a member of her backing group, the Teetotallers. By the 1970s, she had largely retired from the music industry.

Betty
02-Mar-09, 01:40
I've just been to see the now famous David Dunnett from the Blue Rockets.

He told me the original members in 1950 were Jimmy Young (alto-soprano sax), George Lyall (accordion), John "Macbie" Mcdonald and Henry Taylor (drums).

In 1959 it was - Jimmy Young, Bill Johns (accordion), Henry Taylor and David Dunnett (trumpet).

trinkie
02-Mar-09, 08:42
Davie, I’ve been singing Freight Train !! I must say it’s a good one for Monday morning!
Nancy had a most distinctive voice, rather thin but strong, with good diction. All the words came over loud and clear, and so we could pick them up easily and sing along too.
I hear she went on to run a hotel in Cornwall.

Betty – Spending time in Florida with a Weeker – no less that our own Davie Dunnet of the Blue Rockets !! WOW that’s my idea of Heaven. I hope you told him we are all reminiscing and send our good wishes. I bet he could tell a story or two. I wonder what the dancers looked like from their vantage point on the platform. The mind boggles !

At that time, the boys lined up on one side of the Hall and the girls on the other ! Does that still happen I wonder ?
I remember being at a dance where there was a great shortage of lads, and as we girls piled onto the floor to do an Eightsome Reel, one girl of great authority went roond to each and said….. ‘You’re a mannie, You’re a wifie ! we got the message

Thank you for the names.

Trinkie

Mosser
02-Mar-09, 17:22
In the early days of dance going if you couldn't "do" say a foxtrot, there would be several older girls who would happily show you how it's done, taking you for a turn round the floor. Even today after all those years I know at least one who still reminds me "ah showd ye how till do a queekstep in 'e BB hall." How time flies!

trinkie
02-Mar-09, 20:05
Do you think her feet are still hurting !!

Lavenderblue2
03-Mar-09, 09:09
I have only just caught up with this thread - I've loved reading all of your memories of the BB Hall.
I didn't start going to dances until 1960ish and I'm not sure if I was ever in the BB Hall but I remember all the country dances - all over the county!! We had the best fun.

Well done Trinkie, once again you've created a hit! :)

Mosser
03-Mar-09, 13:58
Do you think her feet are still hurting !!

Come to think of it she now walks with two sticks, but quickly!

trinkie
04-Mar-09, 09:34
Nice one Mosser !

I cant let this thread close without hearing from some of the old Boys of the Brigade ! We dancers used your Hall on Saturday nights, but what did you get up to for the rest of the week. What was the Boys' Brigade all about and the real purpose of the Hall ?

How many of you enjoyed the comradeship? I see there's a picture or two of you marching through the town on certain occasions and I recognise several from my dancing days. What about your camps and outings, the Leaders, and what you felt you got out of such a group.

In anticipation,
Trinkie