PDA

View Full Version : a puppy who doesn't like leads

lynne duncan
23-Feb-09, 23:24
somebody has asked me how to get their pup to walk with a lead (7month old cocker)
was looking for anyones advice, seemingly the pup has had some illnesses in the first couple of months and now is very reluctant to go anywhere when a lead is introduced, they have tried leaving the lead on in the house to try and familiarise the pup.
am going to see the little one on wednesday to see if i can help, have been looking on the web for tips but thought i'd ask here as well as the pet folk here usually can add advice for any problems

S&LHEN
23-Feb-09, 23:28
Has your friend tried a harness sometimes puppies prefer them to leads plus they give you more control till the puppy gets more confident??

Liz
24-Feb-09, 00:00
I take it that it's the lead that is the problem and not the collar? If it is the lead have they tried just putting it on for very short amount of times and giving the puppy a treat so it comes to associate the lead with good things.
As with everything to do with training puppies it does come down to lots of patience.

Sure they will get there and the puppy will be enjoying walks before long.

Liz
24-Feb-09, 00:01
Just a thought but could the collar be uncomfortable in which case a nice soft one could help or, as SL&HEN suggested, a harness may be better.

porshiepoo
24-Feb-09, 01:13
It doesn't hate the lead it either doesn't understand exactly what's being asked of it just yet or else it's hurting it, even a small tug on a young pup can cause untold damage to those young bones and if it hurts they'll soon learn to hate it because the owner will get more distressed in their attempts at walking and the dog will pick up on this and it's this negative energy that will actually end up causing the problem. Vicious circle unfortunately.

I can imagine that leaving a lead on and letting it drag it round the house could be quite distressing for the dog, just my opinion though.

Had the same problem with Huntly.
I used the smelliest treats possible and just persevered until he got the hang of it. Needed lots of encouragement and loads of treats though. All dogs develop at their own pace. I've had pups that hardly needed a few minutes on a new lead and were well away but then I've had some who took days!
Just remember, if you pull, a dogs natural instinct will be to pull back and then you'll just have a pup sitting on its bum refusing to go anywhere.
The treats worked wonders with Huntly and once they get used to it and understand it won't hurt, they love it.

I would also advise that you separate the illnesses from the lead, there should be no association with one and the other.

teenybash
24-Feb-09, 01:21
If he is a playful pup who likes his toys, while the leash is being put on hand him or sqeak a toy................Is it the leash being initially clipped on or is is a dislike of being on a leash and walking? Either way I would suggest a pleasant distraction and patience to let his confidence build. Though I remember a dog I had who had a great dislike of being put on a leash and would jump and mid air wriggle furiously. I finally resorted to using a soft rope looped round his neck..................but he only ever walked backwards when out for walks and he done this all the days of his life....:confused

Aaldtimer
24-Feb-09, 03:46
Put the lead on the pup and let it trail, and if you have another dog on a lead, just walk out and let the pup follow, then once it's comfortable with the situation take the lead up and see how it progresses from there.
That's what Caesare Milan did on one of his cases....problem solved in a 100 yrds!:)

porshiepoo
24-Feb-09, 19:07
The use of another dog as a confidence giver is a good suggestion, it does often help.
However, I would be very careful before letting it trail a lead around it or behind it. If this dog is of any kind of nervous disposition then a trailing lead can actually just make things worse.