PDA

View Full Version : Caithness Auctions

flowertot
23-Feb-09, 22:51
Does anyone know if Caithness Auctions are still on the go and if so how to get in touch with them.

If they are not, does anyone know of anywhere else that does auctions, etc in Caithness area???

Many thanks

davie
23-Feb-09, 23:16
Quoybrae Mart have a furniture and general auction about every month. The next one is this coming Thursday evening. This one should be a reasonable sale, going by their ad in the 'Groat' but be warned they usually have a pile of serious junk.

Bobinovich
23-Feb-09, 23:19
Their website is no longer up & running - it was at www.caithnessauctions.co.uk (http://www.caithnessauctions.co.uk)

teenybash
23-Feb-09, 23:22
Quoybrae auction now does the furniture first and the bric a brac last.....:)

Mazda
24-Feb-09, 12:21
Does anyone know if Caithness Auctions are still on the go and if so how to get in touch with them.

If they are not, does anyone know of anywhere else that does auctions, etc in Caithness area???

Many thanks

NO They do not trade any more Sort of FLY BY NIGHT SET UP full of Promises .
Quoybrae sale is on this week Thursday i think and they Do Not Charge you to get in like that other lot did

MadPict
24-Feb-09, 12:40
Their website is no longer up & running

They didn't last long!.......

Mr P Cannop
24-Feb-09, 14:56
NO They do not trade any more Sort of FLY BY NIGHT SET UP full of Promises .
Quoybrae sale is on this week Thursday i think and they Do Not Charge you to get in like that other lot did

there he goes again

davie
24-Feb-09, 15:18
Perhaps Maxda & the MadPict are a bit hard on whoever set up Caithness Auctions. I am sure they set out with the best of intentions but found that costs far outweighed profits.
The Quoybrae Auction is run in premises which are paid for anyway and their only extra costs are on the day so to speak. The amount of literally unsaleable junk (a polite earlier poster called it bric a brac) that they take in is unbelievable and even if they do sell this stuff the commission is really pennies. I would hazard a guess that the Quoybrae thing is run as a service to the community and nothing else.
The profitable and larger auction houses only take in goods of a certain standard, most have a minimum sellers commission, thay also charge a buyers premium, and the end result is that they make on average £35 per £100 sold.
The amount of quality gear coming up for sale in Caithness just does not warrant a dedicated auction house.
The other problem is that whilst an old codger like me will be happy with someone elses cast-offs, at the right price, the majority of the younger generation want everything new in the wrapper !. If you could fill the sale room with quality antiques every week/month or whatever then an auction house would thrive, but with junk that the council tip might turn their noses up at, no chance !.

MadPict
24-Feb-09, 15:28
I wasn't being "hard" - I was just stating my surprise at their quick demise...

davie
24-Feb-09, 17:04
MadPict - your point taken now that I look again at your post !

davem
25-Feb-09, 09:49
That is harsh Masda, they did as I remember give a go at providing a much missed service in Caithness and raise money for charity at the same time. My reading of it was that there was a mountain of work for little reward, they tried and decided not to continue, starting then stopping hardly constitutes fly by night. The last thing you should do is criticise people for trying. If Willie Coghill decided to pack it in it really wasn't worth doing, his auction was really well organised and great entertainment. People with far less experience tried and it obviously did not work for them, why rub salt in the wound?

Mr P Cannop
25-Feb-09, 10:36
That is harsh Masda, they did as I remember give a go at providing a much missed service in Caithness and raise money for charity at the same time. My reading of it was that there was a mountain of work for little reward, they tried and decided not to continue, starting then stopping hardly constitutes fly by night. The last thing you should do is criticise people for trying. If Willie Coghill decided to pack it in it really wasn't worth doing, his auction was really well organised and great entertainment. People with far less experience tried and it obviously did not work for them, why rub salt in the wound?

he or she is just trying to pick on people and likes to try and start a fight

Kevin Milkins
25-Feb-09, 10:41
I went to the auction and have nothing but praise for the young couple that had a go at bringing somthing new and fresh to the market place.

It is hard enough to stay in business today let alone start one and the reason behind not carrying on with this buisness has nothing to do with lack of hard work.