PDA

View Full Version : How Did Your Parents Meet?

ashaw1
23-Feb-09, 21:24
Heard this discussion today on the radio and it got me thinking that along with the radio presenters i had no idea how my parents met. Just wondered if this was common and if anyone had any nice stories about how their parents met.

Kodiak
23-Feb-09, 21:32
I have no Idea how my Parents met as I was not born until long after they met. :D

mums angels
23-Feb-09, 21:33
My parents were introuduced by my mums then boyfriend in a pub in Yorkshire then after the current boyfriend was history they got together and got married soon after

funnily enough i only asked them this two days ago and found it uncanny as i met my hubby in the exact same way ,except it was a pub in wick and took 7 years and two children before we got married :lol:

Angela
23-Feb-09, 21:35
My Dad was 22, my Mum 17 -he was going out with with her older sister at the time.... :roll:

NLP
23-Feb-09, 23:22
not really sure but I think mam was friends with dads sister, now thats got me wondering must ask said auntie.

teenybash
23-Feb-09, 23:34
My mother had ended with her boyfriend in Ireland and decided to come to Scotland. She worked as a cook housekeeper on a large Ayrshire farm, taking care of everybody including the farm workers.
Walking across the yard where a lorry was being loaded with sacks of potaoes she noticed one of the men who was swearing like a trooper and marched over to him and demanded to know if his bad language was helping him any............and walked away.
He turned to the rest of the lads and simply said, 'I am going to marry that lass.' And two years later that is exactly what he did!!:)

cat
23-Feb-09, 23:39
my dad asked my mum what she was doing that night,she was going to cinema so he invited himself!
its their golden wedding soon,so she obviously didnt mind:)

Anne x
24-Feb-09, 00:42
I love my Parents story My Mum I suppose today would be classed as a civil Servant worked in the Food Office In Golspie giving out Ration Books it was a Friday evening end of week for her my Dad arrived to work in Sutherland Estates from Caithness he was rapping at the door to gain entry as it was late she declined him entry no Book
that evening they were at a dance in the Drill Hall in Golspie he tackled her about it she off course denied all rules are rules they married I came along end of Story apart from the fact she told me
He could not dance and to this day many moons later it is still the case

Vistravi
24-Feb-09, 01:08
Heard this discussion today on the radio and it got me thinking that along with the radio presenters i had no idea how my parents met. Just wondered if this was common and if anyone had any nice stories about how their parents met.

You're not alone, i have no idea how my parents met. I'm sure when my dad was alive that he and mum told me how they had met. I'll have to ask mum again:lol:

Fran
24-Feb-09, 02:43
My Mother was engaged to a mechanic at Tongue in Sutherland, when she saw my father, an army officer on a motorbike, who was stationed nearby and at Dunnet. It must have been the uniform!!!! they fell in love and later got married.........and they stayed friends with the mechanic all these years!!

Sporran
24-Feb-09, 02:59
My Dad was 22, my Mum 17 -he was going out with with her older sister at the time.... :roll:

Now that's what I call keeping it in the family, Angela! :lol:

I wonder if your Mum's sister was miffed that her younger sis ended up with her beau?

My parents met on a bus. They lived in separate towns, but were both taking courses in Aberdeen, and rode in on the same bus together on a regular basis.

edayhouse
24-Feb-09, 09:18
well my parents grew up in the same area, they started going out with each other when mum was 13 and dad was 15 - got married when mum was 19 and babies began to arrive a couple of years later - 32 years later and they are still going strong.....who says young love never lasts!!!
x
what a lovely topic

blondscot
24-Feb-09, 10:05
My mam was at the dance in thurso town hall with her cousin she was 15 at the time, and her cousin was going out with my dads best mate so they were through fae Wick for dance.
Now cousin was told not to leave my mam on her own, so when mam went to walk home from dance, cousin boyfriend stopped his mini-van alongside her, shoved her in to the back where my Dad was and that is how they first met. It took a while after that first meeting, until they started courting but she knew from that first meeting that he was the one for her and they would have been married for 40years last april , so young love can last:)

joxville
24-Feb-09, 16:36
I've no idea how my parents met but according to a name I get called often then they must have met just the once. [lol]

Lavenderblue2
24-Feb-09, 17:19
My dad was stationed (not imprisoned) at Camp 165 and mum was living in Watten village. They were married in Watten Church within a few months and I came along ten months later. :) They were married for 44 years - bless them.

cuddlepop
24-Feb-09, 18:38
My mum went on holiday with her parents to St Peter Port in Guernsey and was staying with a family who had a very handsome son that was visiting from Glasgow.
As it transpired they lived just round the corner from each other in Govanhill.:eek:

The rest of the story is filled with,she's too young and he's too old.
There was only 10 years between them which is laughable now.:lol:

percy toboggan
24-Feb-09, 19:05
Good thread:
Dad was a Shropshire Lad who volunteered for the RAF in 1939. He was a Despatch Rider from Manchestre's Ringway Airport. He was billeted next door but one to my Mum's house in Wythenshawe - then a new council estate south of Manchester...leafy and lush with lavs to flush.
She could hear his bike from half a mile away apparently - no other traffic to speak of. He wooed her and married her in 1942 as the storm clouds still gathered.. I came along in '51. I just wish they'd settled in Shropshire.

D. Day was two years to the day after the wedding: Dad was due to go but ha dsmashed his knee up on the bike a few weeks ealrier - bad crash that ended a promising footballers dreams.

I picture 'em now on that old Matchless - Ken sat on the fuel tank and Lil holding him tight.
God bless' em.

Elenna
24-Feb-09, 19:22
My dad was attending university, and a mutual friend brought my mum along to a party and introduced them to one another. I guess they had a good time together once they met, because they eloped a few months later! :eek:

nannydip
24-Feb-09, 20:51
On leaving school my parents worked in a factory, my father on the ground floor and mum on the 1st floor. Dad told me he was sitting eating his sandwiches and looked up to see the nicest pair of ankles he had ever seen descending the stair case. He said to himself I'm going to marry that woman........and he did.

Razz
25-Feb-09, 01:51
My dad was doing electrical work in the pub that my grand-dad had, and caught my mum sweeping the dirt under the carpet. He teased her about it and they arranged to meet up. What he didn't know was that she had already arranged to meet someone else the same night and at the same time. Dad arrived first and the rest is history.

oldmarine
25-Feb-09, 02:22

Not sure how my parents met. My dad was 22 years and my mother 16 years. I was born when my mom was 17. My brother came along 2 years 9 months later. It was not a successful marriage. My mom divorced my dad when I was 5 years old. She raised my brother and me and never again married until I was overseas in the Pacific during WW2 while a US Marine. I was 20 years old. Her 2nd marriage turned out much better for a period of 30 years when my step father passed on. My story is not as nice as I would have liked but that's the way it turned out.

ett23
25-Feb-09, 18:04
My mum was 24 with two kids and another on the way, just split up from her husband of 6 years. My dad was 21. They met at a party and it was love at first sight - eyes met across the room - the rest is history. Happily married 26 years in May. ;)

kitty kat
26-Feb-09, 01:01
i was an 80s love child i really didnt want to know more:roll::Razz