PDA

View Full Version : Your Parents

highlander
23-Feb-09, 20:22
Ok we all knew what it was like when we were young and a parent would give you a telling off, mentally said, "gawd im not going to do that" lol BUT have you, do you ever find yourself doing what you thought you would never do, what your parents said or did. It's like when i was younger you were told go to the toilet before you went anywhere, OK like pee on demand lol, im so sorry (to my bairns) that i subjected you to the same command lol

Highland lad
23-Feb-09, 20:34
I find myself doing the same, but I find it quite funny.

balto
23-Feb-09, 20:46
i used to be bad for biting my nails(still do lol) and my dad used to say that i would be up to my elbows if i didnt stop, now my eldest does it and i find myself saying the ssame stuff, also like yourself highlander i make my kids go to the toilet before we even go down the street.

Alice in Blunderland
23-Feb-09, 20:50
Ok and how many of us had our mum/ dad lick a hankie and wipe our face with it .............................. :eek:

and no I wont do that to my kids thank goodness someone invented wet wipes .................... :Razz

even though my mum/dad really invented them first.:lol:

balto
23-Feb-09, 20:52
Ok and how many of us had our mum/ dad lick a hankie and wipe our face with it .............................. :eek:

and no I wont do that to my kids thank goodness someone invented wet wipes .................... :Razz

even though my mum/dad really invented them first.:lol:
oh i have seen myself doing that, if i am out with my 3 year old .

mums angels
23-Feb-09, 21:11
yip caught myself licking my thumb and wiping marks of their faces :lol:

poppett
23-Feb-09, 23:38
I never knew which was worse, mum licking the hankie to wipe my face or being made to lick the hankie for her!!!

oldmarine
24-Feb-09, 00:41
I recall when I was a youngster and would get into trouble. My mother would switch me with a switch from our peach tree. To make it effective, she would have me go to the peach tree and cut the switch. The first time I brought back a small ineffective switch. She sent me back after a better switch to do the job. I then brought back a large log. She told me "you know whit I want so get out there and get me a propper switch." And so back I went and got her what she wanted." No way could I pull anything over on that wise woman.

Vistravi
24-Feb-09, 00:57
i used to be bad for biting my nails(still do lol) and my dad used to say that i would be up to my elbows if i didnt stop, now my eldest does it and i find myself saying the ssame stuff, also like yourself highlander i make my kids go to the toilet before we even go down the street.

Well you know what it's like. Kids say that they don't need to go.....and you get half way there and they pip up that they need the toilet [lol]

I don't have any children yet (only 20 lol) but i do believe that everyone's parenting technique is somewhat determined by our parents techniques with us. I can already see by the way i am with kids when i was doing my placements for my two college courses that i am going to be like my parents.

I've seen so many people treat their kids the way that they were brought up and had to bite my tongue on more than one occasion. Nothing is more patronising than someone young wiht no kids telling a parent how to be with their kids even if they are training to work with kids.

Its a good thing that i learnt how to keep my mouth quiet when i needed to from my parents. It's a firm motto that my family esp in my parents and bros and sis that we don't get mad we get even. lol

Thumper
24-Feb-09, 11:36
Eeeeew....I hated when my Mum licked a hankie and cleaned my face-good god how can that possibly be classed as clean?:eek: It made me learn very quickly to make sure my face was clean though!
I must admit I do find myself saying things that I swore I never would say,must be an age thing!My Mums favourite was "I will slap that smirk onto the other side of your face" never did figure out how the heck she was going to manage that one ;) x

honey
24-Feb-09, 20:20

i never do that cause i remember how much i hated it..

i find myself saying thingsd my mam did though. like

"its not what you say, its the way you say it" :lol:

airdlass
24-Feb-09, 20:23
My favourite was "turn that noise down!" Say the same thing myself now to my two:D

golach
24-Feb-09, 20:28
My favourite was "turn that noise down!" Say the same thing myself now to my two:D
Lol airdlass, that is still a favourite mine, and my kids have kids of their own [lol]

ett23
25-Feb-09, 17:58
One of my mum's favourite sayings was "I'll wipe that smirk off your face"! and another "If you two don't behave I'll knock your heads together"!.....which she frequently followed through on. I have caught myself saying things just like my mum and have a sudden moment of horror - oh no I'm turning into her!! I know I already have the same wicked sense of humour and have a talent for sarcasm that my OH always gets onto me for.:roll: I can't help it - it's in the genes!!!

loobyloo
25-Feb-09, 20:02
Being made to kiss aunties with bright pink lipstick, or any adult. It was always, shove, "Give auntie/uncle so and so a kiss for that." Yuck.
I do a lot of things my parents did but I don't make my kids kiss random relatives. I had an great auntie that used to take her false teeth out 'for a laugh'. Hated kissing her..........
I found myself the other day saying, "Don't come running to me when you fall off that wall and break your leg." I slunk into the house in disgrace as soon as I'd said it.

daviddd
25-Feb-09, 22:14
I don't think I've copied any of their habits really; in fact I don't remember that much about my childhood. Both parents died young so I've never been able to ask them some important questions that crop up from time to time, now that I would feel able to ask!

Dadie
25-Feb-09, 22:26
Mum sniffing the nappy of my littler sisters (would have sniffed my nappy too but cant remember that)to see if its dirty... rather than sticking a finger it:eek:
Vowed I would never sniff the nappy but have found it to be safer than sticking a finger in a nappy!

Being told to go for a pee before going out... I tell Lauren to go before we go out....and I still have to have a pee before leaving the house too!

Dont go for the wait till your father gets home...or the smacked bum we got as kids though!

balto
25-Feb-09, 23:19
never could understand the phrase children should be seen and not heard- man do i get it now lol.

Melancholy Man
26-Feb-09, 00:12
What Philip Larkin said.

Kenn
26-Feb-09, 00:13
A classic case of "Don't do as I do, do as I tell you."
Always had problems with that one because what were my parents doing that was wrong and that I should not copy?

kitty kat
26-Feb-09, 00:33
i am turning into my mother slowly but surely (and boy does she remind me) but it is happening best bit is she is turning into hers [lol]

Anne x
26-Feb-09, 01:00
I am definately turning into mine I heard myself say to my Daughter the other day to hear you speak "you would think money grew on Trees " and the man that made Mustard made a fortune from people like you "leaving all that on your plate "

Just wait til your father gets home has to be the best whenever I hear that I laugh I used to be 2 steps ahead when I heard that saying I used to go and meet him from work saying Dad I couldnt wait for you to get home his answer Ok what have you done