PDA

View Full Version : pup help

zarapopet
23-Feb-09, 17:03
how to stop dog from driving me insane with his barking. help please

cuddlepop
23-Feb-09, 17:34
If you find a good answere pass it on, mine is 6 this year and barks like she's possessed.
Postmen are her favourite and anyone in a high vis jacket:eek:

Liz
23-Feb-09, 18:43
Benjy barks a lot as well and I have tried lots of methods to stop him without success.

Have to say that good old Caesar Millan has come to the rescue.

When I want Benjy to stop barking I take a dominant stance (ie legs apart and stand tall)in front of him, point my finger at him and say 'chi' (hard to describe the noise but kind of like shhhh but ch instead:confused) and he stops! He actually walks away so it shows that he has backed down.

Try it and see.

porshiepoo
24-Feb-09, 19:04
how to stop dog from driving me insane with his barking. help please

Persistance I'm afraid.
The barking isn't the issue, you have to figure out why in the first place he's doing it. Is it intruder aggression (you know, any intruder within 3 miles of your property), nervous barking, boredom barking, anxiety barking??????

Once you figure that out then you can do something about it.

jean
24-Feb-09, 19:17
The barking depends on why he is barking at what at. With Dogs that bark to tell you theres someone at the door , and you are happy for them to do it, but you want control over it, its better to deal with it in a sort of 'thanks for that, youve done your job, now thats enough' kind of way, so not telling him off. So for instance, you could reward the quiet after barking because has done his job. He barks at the door, you thank him, and then take him off to his bed for the reward (treat/whatever). If you dont want him barking full stop, its down to timing, you can teach a dog to bark on command and then teach a quiet, I did it with treats and a toy, going on the idea that you cant bark with a toy in your gob, so the second there was a lull in barking the toy was given along with the command for quiet. Its easier to wait for a quiet lull and then reward adding a command 'quiet' onto it. I also use an 'ahh ahh' sound which basically means NO and covers lots of things, so if barking starts I can use 'ahh ahh' and then when the dog stops add in the 'Quiet' and reward.

Settle again, you can teach by adding the command onto the action being already performed. And its different to sending him to his bed. So wait for the behaviour to happen naturally, as he lays down, say for example next to the sofa on the floor and use your command 'settle' good boy! and reward. You can also teach it like you would a down, so lure the down first, and as he relaxes into the down, which you will see through his body language you can use your 'settle'.
good luck.

zarapopet
25-Feb-09, 18:39
thanks will give it a try . got a busy household with lots of coming and going with 3 teenagers . thats when barkikng starts and never stops .