PDA

View Full Version : Thinking Day 2009

grandma
23-Feb-09, 12:53
I don't know how many of you are aware that yesterday was Thinking Day - a day when scouts and girl guiding think of others all over the world on the birthdays of Lord and Lady Baden-Powell. It also tied in with the scouts centenery celebrations and I would just like to say a big thank you to them for inviting us and others to share in their parade and church service and also their tea and cake afterwards. They looked absolutely brilliant in the church and I hope we see their photos in the paper and on the Org soon. It is really heartwarming to see so many youngsters involved in scouting and guiding in Caithness and I think a big thankyou should also go to the volunteers who make it possible.

anneoctober
23-Feb-09, 12:58
grandma - you've now explained why one of our customers dropped off his car yesterday in full Scout regalia. I did n't know that, now I feel daft :(. I used to be a Kelpie in the Brownies though.......;)

Julia
23-Feb-09, 13:17
My daughter fairly enjoyed herself, I'm quite proud she was a small part of World Thinking Day!

gleeber
23-Feb-09, 13:41
I think this is the first time I've heard thinking day mentioned since I was a kid. What kind of stuff are they encouraged to think? I was in the Boys Brigade and to be honest never thought about much.
I only discovered last week that Baden-Powell, before he founded the Boy Scouts, was involved with William Smith in the early days of the Boys Brigade. William Smith was born at Pennyland farm Thurso and was the founder of the Boys Brigade.

grandma
23-Feb-09, 13:44
And rightly so. They were all so smart and well behaved - even the little ones who got a bit restless during Lord Thurso's speech didn't make too much of a noise, although even I was glad when he ended!! :lol:

AfternoonDelight
23-Feb-09, 17:19
Everyday is thinking day for me (or overthinking day)... :roll:

canuck
23-Feb-09, 23:37
I think this is the first time I've heard thinking day mentioned since I was a kid. What kind of stuff are they encouraged to think? I was in the Boys Brigade and to be honest never thought about much.
I only discovered last week that Baden-Powell, before he founded the Boy Scouts, was involved with William Smith in the early days of the Boys Brigade. William Smith was born at Pennyland farm Thurso and was the founder of the Boys Brigade.

The purpose of Thinking Day was to think about God.
Now I have it on good authority from a former Thurso Scout that UK Scouts don't normally celebrate Thinking Day with Church Parades. But, in North America all the Scouting and Guiding Groups parade on Thinking Day.

gleeber, let me anticipate your next question. Why think on God? Well, among other things, Baden-Powell was a theologian. He wrote some interesting essays on various religious subjects and faith was a large component of the movement he founded. Why on February 22? That was his birthday and also the birthday of his wife Olive.

As a Scot by heritage I was also a Kelpie in my Brownie days back there in Caithness west.

Aquarian Girl
23-Feb-09, 23:48
As a Guider just like to say Thank you to Grandma. Nice to know that our efforts with the girls are appreciated. I was very proud of our little ones and felt that they endured a long afternoon very well indeed. I enjoyed it too - always nice to see the other leaders and feel part of the big family.:D

gleeber
24-Feb-09, 08:09
The purpose of Thinking Day was to think about God.

gleeber, let me anticipate your next question. Why think on God?

Dont give up the day job Canuck. Your days as a psychic are numbered.:)
I think it's great that young people are encouraged to consider God and presumably other Gods other than the one they are familiar with.