PDA

View Full Version : What EXACTLY do you use the org for?

hotrod4
23-Feb-09, 07:08
There has been a bit of talk recently about what the org is for.
Some have said it should be Caithness subjects only, some use it for company.
What exactly do YOU think the org is for?
Personally I think as its a "Community" site then it is a site to be used by the community for whatever they wish to discuss and not just caithness things.The way I come to that opinion is in any community people will meet, discuss the weather,what they are having for dinner,whats happening in the world etc. They wont just stop and talk about Caithness-Well they will but it will be gossip and you cant post that!!!:lol:

Interested to see how many others see the org.If it was only caithness items then the board wouldnt have so many threads,but thats only my opinion.

brokencross
23-Feb-09, 07:36
I have put "Caithness, World events, news", but could have quite easily gone for "Any Subject"
If it was limited to purely Caithness topics I fear it would be a rather dull and limiting experience. It is a community....I mean as has been said, if you meet someone on the street you talk about anything, everything so as long as its legal and not too rude it should be discussed on the Org

TRUCKER
23-Feb-09, 08:21
i put in any subject the org cover a broad area of everything. long may it continue

Venture
23-Feb-09, 08:33
Anything and everything.[lol] A laugh, a cry, a good recipe, advice, knowledge, gossip in a roundabout way, great company, new friends etc. etc. You name it's available on the org. If it's not broken don't fix it.;)

golach
23-Feb-09, 09:07
Personally, I think this poll is a pointless exercise, but each to their own, I voted anything

Moby
23-Feb-09, 09:08
It is a community. I feel that any topic, within moderation of course, should be acceptable. It is up to the reader then to decide whether a topic is something they are interested in enough to "click" on and read/post. If you are not interested then move on.

What has frustrated me in recent months is when good topics and discussions are hijacked and taken completely off track onto the mundane "chat room" style posting. I find that this has caused me to log on less and, although never a big poster, think why bother posting? From the Torvaig thread it is clear I am not the only orger who feels this way.

Thumper
23-Feb-09, 09:27
I feel that if the org became just for Caithness related things,it would become quite boring!Lets face it its not the busiest of places really is it?It would end up with a million threads on windfarms,asda-or the possiblity of it,Dounreay,the lack of good shops,fish prices and tup prices and not much else!
I like the fun threads we get from time to time and I enjoy the banter that goes on,I feel that its been the few "idiots" that have joined recently that have managed to spoil other peoples view of the org.
Yet again I say-live and let live-dont like a thread-pass it by-but leave those that are enjoying it to it!Life is too short for arguements and bickering in real life so why do it on the internet? x

wifie
23-Feb-09, 11:29
Well I voted for any subject cos even tho the subject may not be directly about Caithness it will be talked about by people who have Caithness in their hearts - that is why we joined, no? I know there are idiots and stirrers who pop on from time to time but, and how many times can it be said, ignore them! Giving them a reaction is like givin a wee fire oxygen so don't and just let them snuff out naturally.
I suppose I could be accused of poppin up and giving cheek basically but I do try to add something to the discussion too! Honest! I do try! Just think about any conversation between people who know each other (aye even tho lots of us have never met we do get to know each other as a personna on here and that is who we respond to) there will be a certain amount of banter! Heck if we didn't have banter in the threads each post would be like a letter to 'e Groat!
I say take a look at what you have typed before pressing submit and have a wee think then GO FOR IT!

ellimac
23-Feb-09, 11:36
Well I voted for any subject cos even tho the subject may not be directly about Caithness it will be talked about by people who have Caithness in their hearts - that is why we joined, no? I know there are idiots and stirrers who pop on from time to time but, and how many times can it be said, ignore them! Giving them a reaction is like givin a wee fire oxygen so don't and just let them snuff out naturally.
I suppose I could be accused of poppin up and giving cheek basically but I do try to add something to the discussion too! Honest! I do try! Just think about any conversation between people who know each other (aye even tho lots of us have never met we do get to know each other as a personna on here and that is who we respond to) there will be a certain amount of banter! Heck if we didn't have banter in the threads each post would be like a letter to 'e Groat!
I say take a look at what you have typed before pressing submit and have a wee think then GO FOR IT!

Well said Wifie, I too voted for any and feel that it's a community board and anything goes Caithness or not..... :D

teenybash
23-Feb-09, 11:50
My choice was Any subject afterall, it is a public forum and not exclusive to Caithness. If we were confined to discussing matters that only had the Caithness connection I feel it would be quite boring and a wee bit dull.
I love the humourous quips, the quick wit and the downright funny that appears on occasion. I love the well educated discussions on subjects I know little about and appreciate being educated through them. I love the mushy sentiments, the love and support for those in need and most of all I love the variety..............the feeling when you log on and wonder, 'what's going on today....who will be say what and what will the reactions be.'
For me it is a place where I meet friends who I have never met and a connection to a wider world. I appreciate the org very much and hope to stay part of it, even during the glitches and the ups and downs......afterall that is part of being a comminity.

anneoctober
23-Feb-09, 12:06
I voted for "everything" ! Some of us Orgers are not small minded and like to discuss/debate a range of issues. As previously said, if you don't like a thread IGNORE it. Happy Posting [lol]

wifie
23-Feb-09, 12:27
Personally, I think this poll is a pointless exercise, but each to their own, I voted anything

I think putting personally at the start of a post which is obviously yer opinion is pointless, but each to their own! ;)

You voted too!!! So go on just admit it - yer no as grumpy as you make oot! [lol]

mrs and mr brown
23-Feb-09, 13:10
well i use the org for looking for free stuff, stuff for sale, wanted, also i use it for the general because its great to know what everyone is up to and asking for advice ect, its also a great place to speak to people that you generaly wouldnt have otherwise, the org is a great place with great people however there is some people that take things a little to far. well thats my oppion anyhow!!!;):lol:

balto
23-Feb-09, 13:11
i put any subject, as the range of topics is brilliant, and you can discuss anything and get advice from other orgers if needed, i think its brilliant the way it is, you know what they say if it aint broke then dont fix it.

mrs and mr brown
23-Feb-09, 13:13
also i put anything, its good to type lol!!

MasterSplinter
23-Feb-09, 14:29
Being new to the forum i have put anything, i am hoping to get info,have a laugh and make friends.

Mik.M.
23-Feb-09, 15:20
I think putting personally at the start of a post which is obviously yer opinion is pointless, but each to their own! ;)

You voted too!!! So go on just admit it - yer no as grumpy as you make oot! [lol]
There`s only one way to sort you two out, FIGHT! as Harry Hill would say.

wifie
23-Feb-09, 16:03
Tsk tsk! I would never use the Org for fighting! Like Harry Hill tho! ;)

sandyr
23-Feb-09, 16:09
I voted for everything.... I guess like most people......If one doesn't want to contribute to a post then one doesn't have to.
If we wish we should be able to voice our opinions, and as we are not clones, all will be different.

TheOldByre
23-Feb-09, 17:41
At the risk of being a pedantic git, I notice as I was about to click an option that the poll itself asks what we think the org should be for, while the thread asks what we currently use it for.

I'm sure that for many cases the answer would be the same, but which of these questions was the poll intended to ask ?

For myself, I use it for "information" and "entertainment". But what it should be for, I'm not sure is on the list of options - i.e. whatever the owners of the forum wish it to be used for.

Orger
23-Feb-09, 19:03
Any subject-Its a community

hotrod4
23-Feb-09, 19:40
The idea of the poll was to see what people thought about posting and what they use it for.There has been alot of to-ing and fro-ing by some claiming that caithness.org is for this and for that but not for the other. I was just curious if it was the general opinion of the majority of orgers,so far it seems not!

Valerie Campbell
23-Feb-09, 20:10
I use it to catch up Caithness goss and to touch base. I enjoy some of the debates. But for me it's a community website where a plethora of different people come on, air their views and even occasionally have a bit of fun! I enjoy it. It's good to get the Caithness perspective on different issues whether it's wind farms, drugs or alcohol abuse, or what to get for a birthday present for someone. I would miss not being part of it.

joxville
23-Feb-09, 20:39
As most of you know I lived and worked in Thurso for 11 years, my son still lives there, and I try to visit at least once every year, 2 or 3 times if possible. I found the site by accident but used it to keep up with what was happening in Caithness. I didn't post on the Org for the first couple of months of joining, just lurked like a lot of others have done, but I saw a lot of banter going on that made me join in and I've made new friends through it. I like the variety of subjects discussed and the various sections we can post in for dedicated subjects.

Admittedly, I'm one of the worst for taking a thread off track but I do that in real life too. How many of you have been chatting about something serious then from nowhere someone throws in a quip? I don't know what the Org was like in it's original state but, like life itself, everything evolves and I'd hate for it to lose the identity it now has. On the whole, I think the Org ticks along just fine.

Vistravi
24-Feb-09, 01:17
Well said Joxville!

I too enjoy the banter on the org and use the org for banter and advice.

Anne x
24-Feb-09, 01:33
I lurked for ages and it was not until I actually left Caithness I joined for a long time I just viewed the front page then saw this forum thing and had a look all the names to me at that point seemed a bit odd
the org to me at one one time was a lifeline as I was housebound for a very short spell
I have had chat and banter with a lot of very interesting people and have met and become acqainted with a whole lot more and will always stay in touch a lot of people help if you have a genuine problem like beating the ciggies !!
The Pet Section folk are great the highs and lows of animal loving and caring
The recipe section I love as thats my hobby
Photography keeps me in touch and I love the local pics sometimes I have become melancholy but keep them coming they are great

If this thread has achieved anything its brought home the org I like the rest moan about the content sometimes but mind the days we didna have it when we were off air

davie
24-Feb-09, 18:19
ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz Thats the problem with some of these massive posts with beeg words and 8 or nine lines - they are hard going after the "what did I have for my tea - spag bol" type threads.

Anyway, I digress, as someone said its not for me to like or dislike what is posted on the internet. If something interests me I can read and/or contribute and if I do not like it I can pass on by.

Thumper
24-Feb-09, 18:30
This is getting absurd now!For goodness sake where do people get off slagging others off?This is a community forum and some of the posters have managed to make it like some of the communities in Caithness......ie:when it isnt going the way they want they slag people off!Some of you are new members which I assume read the forums BEFORE you joined so why join and THEN complain about the subjects talked about?:roll: x

Thumper
24-Feb-09, 18:48
I have a friend who reads these forums all the time,lovely woman with lots of interesting things to talk about, but yet she rarely posts,when I asked her why she told me she didnt post because she is afraid of being picked on or belittled if other posters didnt agree with her post...how sad is that that people are afraid of other posters on the org?Says a lot about some doesnt it? x

unicorn
24-Feb-09, 18:49
I think one young lady being picked on endlessly since she joined the org is a pure disgrace [disgust] were none of these people picking on her ever young.
Get a grip of yourselves.
If your lives are so empty that all you can do is pick on one relatively new member then go out and get a hobby.

davie
24-Feb-09, 18:53
Rigid Mammary?

Feel any better? ;)

I could get into trouble here but as a watcher of said things may I humbly suggest that tough & rigid may not be the same thing. Rigid gives me a vision of the 'sticky oot' variety but tough makes me think of the fallen doon leathery ones. Can you perhaps use a more specific term ?

24-Feb-09, 18:58
A number of posts have been removed due to name calling, any more posts of this nature will be removed and infractions may be issued.

sandyr
24-Feb-09, 18:58
I have a friend who reads these forums all the time,lovely woman with lots of interesting things to talk about, but yet she rarely posts,when I asked her why she told me she didnt post because she is afraid of being picked on or belittled if other posters didnt agree with her post...how sad is that that people are afraid of other posters on the org?Says a lot about some doesnt it? x

Hiya Thumper.....Changing the subject a wee bitty.......

Here in North America they have 'groundhog day' and for those who don't know what it is all about, when a selected Groundhog comes out if his burrow in the middle of February(kinda like a Rabbit/ just like Thumper), and sees his shadow it will be another 6 weeks of winter... And how was your morning....cloudy up there????
Amazing...he is right 50% of the time!!!
And what was the purpose of this post...I don't know....just thought I would make people smile a wee bit! Maybe........

unicorn
24-Feb-09, 18:59
I learned that watching winnie the pooh :lol: believe it or not [lol]

Thumper
24-Feb-09, 19:01
Hi sandyr!You are right it did make me smile!It also reminded me that the forums have become a wee bit like groundhog day..repetitive bad behaviour and nasty comments seem to abound at the moment :( Heres hoping "normal service will resume" very soon and the forums can go back to being an enjoyable place for all users :) x

Angela
24-Feb-09, 19:44
The Org can feel a bit like Groundhog Day at times.

But in my simple little world, it's Shrove Tuesday, aka Pancake Day! :Razz

unicorn
24-Feb-09, 19:46
I made pancakes this afternoon, they were not yummy, must practice [lol]

ShelleyCowie
24-Feb-09, 20:31
I made pancakes this afternoon, they were not yummy, must practice [lol]

I took the easy way out and just bought pancakes! [lol]

unicorn
24-Feb-09, 20:37
I have unusual pancakes, they could be used as rubberised frizbees :eek:[lol] Was gonna try again tonight but I think I will chill tonight and do them tomorrow morning.

scorrie
24-Feb-09, 21:03
I could get into trouble here but as a watcher of said things may I humbly suggest that tough & rigid may not be the same thing. Rigid gives me a vision of the 'sticky oot' variety but tough makes me think of the fallen doon leathery ones. Can you perhaps use a more specific term ?

Och, it doesn't matter now. My post was pulled off.

I don't mind, but it would be nice to see those who are repeatedly attacking particular users, also getting some of their vitriol hauled off.

honey
24-Feb-09, 21:11
any subject... i use the org as a home away from home. Its like going into any of the pubs in thurso, im looking for good company and a bit of a laugh, with the occasional heated discussion about more serious subjects.

of course it means there are people i will not take to (and vice versa) but i do what id do in the pub... not bother with them...

JAWS
25-Feb-09, 05:02
Aw, Thumper, tell her she has to start posting - I love having somebody new to pick on! :lol:
Just think what a boring world it would be if everybody held exactly the same opinion about everything.

Thumper
25-Feb-09, 08:18
Aw, Thumper, tell her she has to start posting - I love having somebody new to pick on! :lol:
Just think what a boring world it would be if everybody held exactly the same opinion about everything.

:lol: You are ok Jaws,she aint frightened of you-your bite isnt a bad as it looks ;) I agree with what you say about it being boring if we all agreed all the time,but there have been some recently that have been no better than playground bullies x

weeboyagee
25-Feb-09, 18:10
I voted anything - not a clue why I come on here at times - some of the stuff has me in stitches, some has me yawning, some has me kicking the cat. But you know what makes us look on the org???? The nose on the end of our face! Admit it eh ;)

WBG :cool:

hotrod4
25-Feb-09, 21:47
But you know what makes us look on the org???? The nose on the end of our face! Admit it eh ;)

Thats is so true!!!

oldmarine
25-Feb-09, 21:55
I listed Anything - It's a Community. I enjoy visiting the folks in Caithness on the web and getting updated.

Alice in Blunderland
25-Feb-09, 22:20
I voted anything - not a clue why I come on here at times - some of the stuff has me in stitches, some has me yawning, some has me kicking the cat. But you know what makes us look on the org???? The nose on the end of our face! Admit it eh ;)

How dare you infer that your fellow orgers are nosey. Speak for yourself. I view the org for its intelectual, factual and helpfull content. ;)

Now who knows whats going on with Hotrods interesting thread eh, eh lol

hotrod4
26-Feb-09, 15:07
How dare you infer that your fellow orgers are nosey. Speak for yourself. I view the org for its intelectual, factual and helpfull content. ;)

Now who knows whats going on with Hotrods interesting thread eh, eh lol

Pinocchio Pinnochio where art thou?[lol]

Errogie
26-Feb-09, 15:42
Someone mentioned "ownership" of the ORG referring no doubt to the Fernies and their helpers. This word always makes me feel uneasy and reminds me of the French philosopher's quotation that "All property is theft" which used to reside above my desk.

Now allowing for the fact that the ORG is a slightly unconventional property I earnestly hope that the controllers will always have a very light hand on the rudder and let the message board range anywhere and everywhere so that users and contributors can continue to feel that it belongs to everyone.

hotrod4
26-Feb-09, 16:41
Someone mentioned "ownership" of the ORG referring no doubt to the Fernies and their helpers. This word always makes me feel uneasy and reminds me of the French philosopher's quotation that "All property is theft" which used to reside above my desk.

Now allowing for the fact that the ORG is a slightly unconventional property I earnestly hope that the controllers will always have a very light hand on the rudder and let the message board range anywhere and everywhere so that users and contributors can continue to feel that it belongs to everyone.
That is true to a point. If a site is a "community" one then it should be run with the "community" at heart? But at the end of the day someone has to pay for the bandwith and I suppose thats what the ads are for.
If no-one was in "charge" then the lunatics would well and truly take over the asslylum!!![lol] (or have they already?;))

Whitewater
26-Feb-09, 23:22
I like the org, I voted for 'anything' it's a living thing, and made that way by the variety of people who visit. I have had both happy and sad experiences on here, met up with old friends of my childhood, and made new friends. Its a magical place at times. Hope we all continue to keep it that way.

Alan
27-Feb-09, 00:43
I spend most of the time trying to make people laugh. I try this in person as well, but nobody gets my incredibly clever (?!) jokes.

Example:

Person 1: A lot of people X had there birthday in May last year.
Alan: I imagine it is the same this year as well.

<Silence as Person 1 wonders what rubbish I am spouting>

ShelleyCowie
27-Feb-09, 00:55
I spend most of the time trying to make people laugh. I try this in person as well, but nobody gets my incredibly clever (?!) jokes.

Example:

Lol i get it...i really do! Im genuinely laughing right now.

Alan
27-Feb-09, 00:59
Lol i get it...i really do! Im genuinely laughing right now.

Glad somebody does. At the time there was just awkward silence.

JAWS
27-Feb-09, 03:18
:lol: You are ok Jaws,she aint frightened of you-your bite isnt a bad as it looks ;) I agree with what you say about it being boring if we all agreed all the time,but there have been some recently that have been no better than playground bullies xThat's true but they usually get jumped on by the far more reasonable majority of posters.
I'm going to have to sharpen my teeth though, I must have let them go blunt. ;)

golach
27-Feb-09, 17:36
I'm going to have to sharpen my teeth though, I must have let them go blunt. ;)
You have Jaws, or your mellowing with age.
Trying to picture a mellow Jaws......naw canna [lol]

honey
28-Feb-09, 15:45

Example:

ah, reminds me of a time a lassie at my work asked birthday was, when i told her "14th july" she replied

"ah, thats write, i think that date is in my diary"

she had a blank expression when i said

"id take it back to the shop if it isnt" ;)

ShelleyCowie
28-Feb-09, 19:56
ah, reminds me of a time a lassie at my work asked birthday was, when i told her "14th july" she replied

"ah, thats write, i think that date is in my diary"

she had a blank expression when i said

"id take it back to the shop if it isnt" ;)

:eek: Thats my birthday! :Razz Im gonna be 21 this year tho! Poo!

unicorn
28-Feb-09, 23:47
21...Shelley you have your whole life ahead of you, that said it passes faster now [lol]