PDA

View Full Version : Am I turning into an grumpy old cynic?

Kenn
22-Feb-09, 23:19
I was watching "The Politics," show today and got to wondering why no politician ever gives an answer to the question asked.
They squirm, wriggle,become evasive,change the subject,blame every one else and generally make a complete idiot of themselves, well even more of an idiot than usual.
Is my attitude down to my age or do others who don't have a grey hair in sight get as annoyed as I do by this dodging of the issues?

joxville
22-Feb-09, 23:31
I know how you feel Lizz, I found I'm turning into my dad. It doesn't help when I watch Grumpy Old Men/Women and nodding in agreement with them, and I don't have a grey hair in sight. Cos I shave my head. :D

oldmarine
22-Feb-09, 23:33
I was watching "The Politics," show today and got to wondering why no politician ever gives an answer to the question asked.
They squirm, wriggle,become evasive,change the subject,blame every one else and generally make a complete idiot of themselves, well even more of an idiot than usual.
Is my attitude down to my age or do others who don't have a grey hair in sight get as annoyed as I do by this dodging of the issues?

LIZZ: It seems that todays politicians can't give an honest appraisal of the situation.

JAWS
22-Feb-09, 23:46
LIZZ, no you're not a cynic, they have done the same thing for as long as I can remember. It's usually only some considerable time after they have left politics that some of them will resort to giving a straight answer to a direct question.

The stupid thing is that, more often than not, if they did give a straight answer it would do them far more good than harm.
OK, there are times when fudge and avoidance are understandable but ducking and diving when everybody already knows what the real answer is just makes them look ridiculous.

Tony
23-Feb-09, 00:00
They never do. I remember once a politician pledged that x amount of new police constables would be taken on to help combat crime but failed to mention the same amount were due for retirement so in reality it didn't make any difference.

Kenn
23-Feb-09, 23:01
Our Prime Minister and his complete cabinet descended on the city of Southampton today at a cost of some £20,000 plus for security not to mention venue costs, food and travel.
It is estimated that between them they spoke to about one thousand people.
They even had the gall to attend a debt councilling centre which I consider to be in the worst of taste and bordering on insulting to those who are struggling in the present economic climate.
Now I am in full agreement with a local reporter who remarked, "It would have been much simpler if they had stayed in London and just given the one thousand people £20 each instead of lumbering them with the bill which will be added to their community charge."
Oh for the days of my royal namesake when it was a case of, "Off with their heads."

JAWS
24-Feb-09, 03:39
I think it's called "Electioneering at public expense". I'm sure the good people of Southampton were overjoyed by the visit.

Centuries ago the old Absolute Monarchs used to do the same thing. They would set off with all their Court and hangers-on and process round the Country to remind the plebs who was in charge.
Could it be that Gordon is developing the same delusions of absolute power?

Metalattakk
24-Feb-09, 05:08
I'm just surprised that most people don't treat 'Yes, Prime Minister' as a factual documentary.

gleeber
24-Feb-09, 08:32
I managed for years not to get too personal towards politicians. Recently though I find myself being much more critical towards them. It's not an easy job though and the truth is those of us who complain about them couldnt do any better. Most of us are involved in some kind of politics just to get through the day. How often do we show our hands to others? That's politics too.
Maybe politician bashing can develop with age.