PDA

View Full Version : RRS Discovery - Dundee waterfront

percy toboggan
22-Feb-09, 19:39
Superrab! I heartily recommend this exhibition for anyone interested in ships, snow, ice and British history.

Seven and a half quid to get in but it's well worth it - and I'm a bit of a tight wad....a 'careful Christian' as me mother used to say.

There are a couple of film shows, some cross-section models and a comprehensive history of the 'build' in Dundee.And then there is the magnificent ship itself. Resplendent against sunny morning skies when we caught a first glimpse of her. Magnificent rigging (newish)

The engines are missing on board (scrap for the WW2 war effort) but everything else is there. Fascinating stuff. The ship was stuck fast in the ice for two whole years. On the journey down there they docked at New Zealand on the way to Antarctica and were celebrated guests for a while. Upon leaving an exuberant rating climbed atop the crows nest to wave and as the ship rolled he fell to his death. One of two fatalities.

A credit to Dundee and to Scotland. This fabulous feature passed on a couple of hours in about thirty minutes!

Angela
22-Feb-09, 19:50
Glad to hear you found it worthwhile, percy.

I'd had little interest in Polar exploration (not sure many women do?) until I started doing freelance work for Discovery, but soon found myself getting increasingly drawn into this fascinating subject and reading up more and more about it.

The only disappointment used to be the cafe - does it still provide just bags of crisps and industrial scones? :roll: Maybe you wisely walked on by!

Not the reason for a visit I know, but I always like to look forward to some good home made baking just to complete a 'visitor experience' as they now call it. ;)

percy toboggan
22-Feb-09, 20:31
Didn't try the caff. Seldom do.
English breakfast before we set orf.
McChicken burger before the flicks.
Soup for tea 'cos we were full as guns.

beelag2000
22-Feb-09, 20:35
I agree, it is a brilliant exhibition
but Beware!! it should have an "adventuritis" warning on admission.
My daughter went to The Discovery Exhibition while working in Dundee and this is what ensued!!!http://www.caithness.org/caithnesspeoplelivehere/antarctica/index.htm

To be serious she found it a marvelous and rewarding experience.

percy toboggan
22-Feb-09, 20:39
I agree, it is a brilliant exhibition
but Beware!! it should have an "adventuritis" warning on admission.
My daughter went to The Discovery Exhibition while working in Dundee and this is what ensued!!!http://www.caithness.org/caithnesspeoplelivehere/antarctica/index.htm

To be serious she found it a marvelous and rewarding experience.

Wow! A daughter of which to be especially proud.
Good for her.
I'm too nesh for antarctic exploration now as I need my thermal underwear to cope with a northern English winter.

A good link - thanks.