PDA

View Full Version : Torvaig

Kevin Milkins
22-Feb-09, 01:48
Does anyone know why Torvaig has not posted for over a month?

She/ or he used to contribute some interesting debate and put forward some good points of view and suddenly stoped.:confused

joxville
22-Feb-09, 02:00
I agree Kevin, she's a very good poster and came across as a nice woman in the chats I had with her. I miss her.

unicorn
22-Feb-09, 02:18
I hope she is ok, I was wondering too.

trix
22-Feb-09, 04:21
someone telt me that she wis fed up wi'ed all an wisna hevin anymore til o wi'ed...

too much pettiness, an people getin suspended for no reason, apart fie statin their opinion...:roll:

i da ken what she's on aboot lek, but she is missed......:(

Alice in Blunderland
22-Feb-09, 10:04
I do miss seeing Torvaigs posts. I have noticed a lot of posters seem to be taking time out from the org ( not just because of suspension or bans ) and at times I can understand why.

We dont seem to be having the good flowing debates there used to be,a bit more in the way of snide remarks and at times a kind of playground bully atmosphere kicks in with one poster saying something and then a bunch of others all jumping in and going down thier throat. :(

It can get frustrating when good debates are hijacked and taken off the boil and off topic with one liners and quick witted smart comments which amuse some but enrage others intent on a good debate. This all makes hard work and some uncomfortable moderating by the mods, as in damned if they do damned if they dont and there seem to be plenty of dummies lying around the org having been spat out from time to time. :)

I hope Toravaig is enjoying the break from posting and is recharging her batteries ready to rejoin when or if she feels like it.

Also it may be a point to note that at times we all have to be have a bit more of a moderator lurking within ourselves as it is the posters who keep such forums as this going and that in the end we all could be our own worse enemy ,with the forums no longer being such an interesting place to post for a wide variety of people. :)

Angela
22-Feb-09, 10:50
I miss Torvaig very much indeed. You could always rely on her posts to be honest, interesting, balanced and well thought out, with a dry humour that never set out to be hurtful.

People - especially the more 'mature' among us -and I don't just mean in years -can get more than a bit fed up trying to take the time to post 'genuinely' - sensibly, responsibly and sometimes amusingly. Posts can be informative, entertaining, light hearted or serious without being rude or aggressive.....can't they? :confused

Maybe folk feel that it's just not worth the effort when there are are so many inane and banal threads, so much going off topic, so much sniping and bickering, and as we've seen recently, what appear to be concerted attempts to wind people up, insult them and generally cause trouble.

Torvaig, like a few other Orgers, has had the courage of her convictions and ceased to post, and much tho' I miss her posts, I applaud her for her decision to do what she feels is right for her. Many of us are just hanging around wondering if and when things will get any better.

I would dearly love to see her back, but I wouldn't bet on it. You don't know what you've got till it's gone. :(

Alice in Blunderland
22-Feb-09, 11:33
Well said Angela ................its just about getting the right balance and at the momment the scales seem to have slipped over to the side of what someone called 'silly season'. :)

pat
22-Feb-09, 12:51
It is worse than a childrens playground at times on here but with so much natiness I find it defficult to believe folk can stoop to the levels they are going to at times on here.

Time to self regulate and think before posting nastiness and critisisms - no need to retaliate or bite in public, send the person a message saying you are not happy with the comment if you feel strongly enough, or report to the mods!!!

Just please cut out the sniping, back biting and nastiness - grow into maturity.

Really do miss Torvaig on here too - a person with a great sense of humour, a wonderful wit, a great knowledge and a bit of down to earth sense.

loobyloo
22-Feb-09, 13:00
I'm not on here as often as I would like and I don't post an awful lot, so I got a shock reading over recent threads. What has been going on?
I can honestly say I've never been insulted, or felt threatened on the org. There's always been banter back and forth, which is why it's an interesting place to be but is this bullying stuff a recent thing that's been happening?
I'm sorry Torvaig is no longer posting. I used to enjoy her posts too.

teenybash
22-Feb-09, 13:14
There are a lot of good posters missing, Torvaig being one. Hopefully all will settle again and some good posts start appearing again......;)

cuddlepop
22-Feb-09, 13:23
Torvaig has a very busy schedual so maybe like Squidge doesnt have the time or even the inkling to post just now.:roll:

This place lately is worse than a kiddies playground for snipping unnecessaraly.

As someone's signature says.

If you've got nothing nice to say then say nothing.:mad:

unicorn
22-Feb-09, 13:35
Self moderation is the only way to go, use the report function and bad rep with comments. It is sad but sometimes it has to be done.

Liz
22-Feb-09, 14:03
Kevin I was just thinking about Torvaig!

I agree with everything that has been said. Torvaig is a lovely lady and I can see why she became fed up.

Come back Torvaig! The org needs people like you.

Thumper
22-Feb-09, 14:33
I agree Torvaig is sadly missed!her posts were always good,thoughful and considerate-something a lot on here could learn about IMO! I think a lot of us has spent a lot less time on here recently,the squabbles and nastiness has put off a lot of members x

Venture
22-Feb-09, 15:08
I too miss Torvaig's posts on here. If you had a question or needed advice, she was always the first to post. The fact that she has left is such a shame as I know she enjoyed conversing with her many friends on here.

We seem to have been flooded with a new generation of orgers who need to learn the meaning of the word respect in regard to other people's opinions and feelings. Resorting to insults when you disagree with someone is so immature. People need to remember it's the persons viewpoint you are disagreeing with not the person, so personal insults should never come into it. If folk want to go down that road then they can use the PM service available and at least that way other orgers won't be subjected to having a board clogged up with tit for tat childish one liners.

sassylass
22-Feb-09, 19:20
There are a lot of good posters missing, Torvaig being one. Hopefully all will settle again and some good posts start appearing again......;)

My sentiments exactly, many interesting people have stopped posting. People move on for lots of reasons, but it seems many are fed up with the inane chatter and the nasty sniping around here.

I suggest taking the one line banter into the chatroom, that's what chatrooms are for.

Kevin Milkins
22-Feb-09, 20:06
Well I suppose all of the above answers the question and is a testament to just how much Torvaig is missed on the forum.:(

I know how easy it is to sit in front of a monitor in a bubble and tend to forget just how many people are reading what we write and also guilty of one-liners in a vain attempt at being a comedian, I hope that I never offend anyone.:confused

Melancholy Man
22-Feb-09, 20:07
I agree Kevin, she's a very good poster and came across as a nice woman in the chats I had with her. I miss her.

Torvaig's a woman??? I give up.

Angela
22-Feb-09, 20:15
I know how easy it is to sit in front of a monitor in a bubble and tend to forget just how many people are reading what we write and also guilty of one-liners in a vain attempt at being a comedian, I hope that I never offend anyone.

Paranoia sets in! [para] [para]

Oh dear, was that a one-liner from me? :o

Liz
22-Feb-09, 20:18

Afraid so Angela. You just told Kevin he is paranoid!lol

Angela
22-Feb-09, 20:24
Afraid so Angela. You just told Kevin he is paranoid!lol

OK, OK, I'll try to dig myself out of this hole, Liz!

I enjoy Kevin's posts, none more perhaps than the memorable tale of his encounter with the hot chili ;) so the idea that they could be offensive seems pretty daft to me, and I can only assume that he's worrying needlessly.

But I'll be looking over my shoulder now...... [para] :eek:

golach
22-Feb-09, 20:54
My sentiments exactly, many interesting people have stopped posting. People move on for lots of reasons, but it seems many are fed up with the inane chatter and the nasty sniping around here.

I suggest taking the one line banter into the chatroom, that's what chatrooms are for.
Sassy I am with you 100%, if you want to chatter, go to the chat room, do not try to score posts by inane postings :mad:

Kevin Milkins
22-Feb-09, 21:03

LOL .me paronoid,never.

Where did you get those paranoid eyes from and why have I not got some .lol

sassylass
22-Feb-09, 21:03
OK, OK, I'll try to dig myself out of this hole, Liz!

I enjoy Kevin's posts, none more perhaps than the memorable tale of his encounter with the hot chili ;) so the idea that they could be offensive seems pretty daft to me, and I can only assume that he's worrying needlessly.

But I'll be looking over my shoulder now...... [para] :eek:

Yikes, now I feel the need to start digging! What I meant was....

It's one thing to voice an opinion or tell a story, it's quite another to talk just to hear one's head rattle or actively antagonize others.

highlander
22-Feb-09, 22:19
I do hope if Torvaig is reading this thread she will reconsider to come back and post on here, i also really enjoyed her postings its always sad to see good posters leave the org.

poppett
22-Feb-09, 22:50
Please come back to us Torvaig, you are sadly missed. Even if you don`t feel like a debate, please at least let us know you are OK.

Sporran
22-Feb-09, 22:54
I miss Torvaig very much indeed. You could always rely on her posts to be honest, interesting, balanced and well thought out, with a dry humour that never set out to be hurtful.

I echo your sentiments, Angela. Torvaig was a quality poster, as you yourself are. I have always enjoyed reading her posts.

Please come back Torvaig, you are very much missed on these forums!

Anne x
23-Feb-09, 01:20
Torvaig is a great loss to the forum she spoke with unbiased or sentiment in her posting to me she was what the org stood for no feet in past no tell anyone one the countless years they have been here which to be honest no one really is bothered or concerned about
Its the going forward with the forum that matters and bringing it to everyone which I think she achieved more than any other
I miss her very much

ps have not posted a recipe this year who else could test them like you and that is tongue in cheek

Anne

wifie
23-Feb-09, 01:56
LOL .me paronoid,never.

Where did you get those paranoid eyes from and why have I not got some .lol

You do Kev! :roll: If you look over to where I got my rolling eyes you will see (more) at the bottom - go on have a click on it! ;)

I miss Torvaig too!

Torvaig
23-Feb-09, 04:45
A few members have kindly alerted me to this thread and it is heartwarming to read all your comments. They are much appreciated and I thank you and will offer a wee explanation for my absence.

Not many people saw my last post on the org as when I read the outcome of that particular thread, I reported it and fortunately the thread was removed.

I was appalled that I had unwittingly made a few posts in what I thought were a few pages of light-hearted banter but which turned out to be a travesty of good taste and sense and I am glad it is all over. It is not often I jump on the bandwagon; lesson learned.

Again, I thank you all and will only say "au revoir"……:)

shazzap
23-Feb-09, 09:39
A few members have kindly alerted me to this thread and it is heartwarming to read all your comments. They are much appreciated and I thank you and will offer a wee explanation for my absence.

Not many people saw my last post on the org as when I read the outcome of that particular thread, I reported it and fortunately the thread was removed.

I was appalled that I had unwittingly made a few posts in what I thought were a few pages of light-hearted banter but which turned out to be a travesty of good taste and sense and I am glad it is all over. It is not often I jump on the bandwagon; lesson learned.

Not goodbye then ? ;)

Venture
23-Feb-09, 09:50

Great to have you posting again Torvaig. You don't need to explain yourself to anyone, just get back onboard. The org needs you.;)

wifie
23-Feb-09, 10:54
Good to see you Torvaig! :)

shazzap
23-Feb-09, 13:03
Great to have you posting again Torvaig. You don't need to explain yourself to anyone, just get back onboard. The org needs you.;)
totally agree

poppett
23-Feb-09, 13:52
Please rejoin the crew Torvaig.

Liz
23-Feb-09, 14:08
Lovely to hear from you again Torvaig albeit for a short time.

Come back soon please.:D

percy toboggan
23-Feb-09, 18:06
Torvaig is a good egg and tends to be on a similar wavelength to me if feedback reflects anything at all.

I hope she returns.

Much has been said about nasty posters and tit and tat but as one with some strong opinions and a tendency to be candid I'd be disappointed if I offended no-one in this barmy, liberal world.

We should all learn to take 'offence' on the chin - rail back agin it and then relax. Nobody has the right not to be offended in my opinion. Certainly not me so offend away if you like.

An annodine forum is doomed to long term failure. I do agree about 'one-liners' though and seldom use the tactic myself because it's very limiting and really rather silly. If you can get something off your chest in one sentence it's probably of little interest to the wider audience.

So..in conclusion - come back Torvaig. Although the essence of the interweb means if you don't then it doesn't really matter. That said I wish you happiness, good health and contentment.