PDA

View Full Version : Wet Leather

Vistravi
22-Feb-09, 01:10
Randam question[lol]

Siting here watching underground and seeing lots of leather gettign soaked through in this particaular scene.

What actually happens to leather when it gets soaked through?
Does it disintergrate or become soggy?
Or does the water jus run right off it without damaging it?

Anyone know the answer to my randam questions:D

pat
22-Feb-09, 01:16
depends on the type of leather and how it has been treated

Think of your leather shoes in the rain.

Alice in Blunderland
22-Feb-09, 01:25
depends on the type of leather and how it has been treated

Think of your leather shoes in the rain.

Well if its my kids leather shoes they eventually let in the water and die the kids socks black :lol:

joxville
22-Feb-09, 10:04
Well if its my kids leather shoes they eventually let in the water and die the kids socks black :lol:

Buy them black socks-half the problem solved.

Alice in Blunderland
22-Feb-09, 10:06
Buy them black socks-half the problem solved.

Duh never thought of that one ............................... :lol: blonde momment, blonde momment.

davie
22-Feb-09, 10:43
In its natural environment leather is of course totally waterproof - this is why coos,horses and sheeps wear it as a kind of overcoat and they never get wet through do they ?

Vistravi
22-Feb-09, 13:47
In its natural environment leather is of course totally waterproof - this is why coos,horses and sheeps wear it as a kind of overcoat and they never get wet through do they ?

I'm jus so very curious about it as the lass in underground is clad in leather from head to toe and she ends up in the sea. My partner told me that leather cracks and is damaged in water especially sea water, but in the movie the lass's leather stays intact. Jus wanted to know what happpens to it in water.

davie
22-Feb-09, 13:51
You have me wondering now - certainly over time it will degenerate in some way. I would think maybe it goes hard and then cracks when moved ?. Looks like for a job for Google.

Vistravi
22-Feb-09, 14:03
You have me wondering now - certainly over time it will degenerate in some way. I would think maybe it goes hard and then cracks when moved ?. Looks like for a job for Google.

:)Never thought of google. I can never find what I'm looking for on there most of the time, it'll be my wording properly. I find that if you ask people these randam things that there is always someone who knows the answer.

I do know that as i have worn my leather jacket in the rain before that rain doesn't affect it. But salty sea water mmm.

Lol I'm jus a randam person at times[lol]

Vistravi
24-Feb-09, 01:35
Took three days to find my answer lol

Leather has to be treated first otherwise in water esp prolonged eposides in water damages the leather. Looks like i won't be wearing my leather jacket in the pouring rain again. oh well looks like i'm not going to be able to wear it then knowing caithness [lol][lol]

George Brims
24-Feb-09, 02:25
I always check the forecast in winter months, as my leather jacket gets that kind of white mouldy appearance when it gets wet. There's probably something I could treat it with to help that.