PDA

View Full Version : Capitalist scum

the second coming
21-Feb-09, 23:32
I've been subjected to Monopoly on the Nintendo Wii by a young impressionalble pre-adulescent. I fear that this gamesmanship is tainting and corrupting the youth of today, particularly in our countries current financial predicament. Does anyone else feel that games such as Monopoly creates a negative influence on our youth? All I hear is the call for the defeat and downfall of those of lesser financial strength than others....

Please let me know what you think?

Bobinovich
21-Feb-09, 23:38
LOL dunno if you're being serious or not SC! To me a game is a game - far removed from real life.

I hope there's no sour grapes at maybe having been beaten by said pre-adolescent ;)

joxville
21-Feb-09, 23:41
I think you should put an 'l' in the thread title and an 'o' in adolescent. [lol]

That aside, I think it's good grounding for when they are older and find out that markets can rise and fall.

mama2
21-Feb-09, 23:43
Please tell me your not serious?
Monopoly is a fab game.
Just a game a bit of fun.

Metalattakk
21-Feb-09, 23:45
I think games like Monopoly are a vitally important learning tool for all politicians - they need to learn how to make 'interest-free' bank loans to themselves while no-one is looking, and how to unscrupulously screw-over their fellow man.

joxville
21-Feb-09, 23:45
I like playing Monopoly but don't know anyone else who does. Maybe cos I'm too good at it.

changilass
21-Feb-09, 23:46
I've been subjected to Monopoly on the Nintendo Wii by a young impressionalble pre-adulescent. I fear that this gamesmanship is tainting and corrupting the youth of today, particularly in our countries current financial predicament. Does anyone else feel that games such as Monopoly creates a negative influence on our youth? All I hear is the call for the defeat and downfall of those of lesser financial strength than others....

Stop gurning just cos you lost :lol:

Kodiak
21-Feb-09, 23:52
Personally I think more than one company should make this great game as otherwise they will have a Monopoly.

joxville
21-Feb-09, 23:53
Personally I think more than one company should make this great game as otherwise they will have a Monopoly.

Report it to the Monopolies Commission. Why is there only one of them?

Alice in Blunderland
22-Feb-09, 01:30
I remember playing monopoly as a kid and the kids have a game downstairs.

It was brilliant and if you were losing you just shut the board and everyones houses slid in a heap. Easy. :lol: No sour grapes just world war three with me, my brother and sister.

Oh and the first thing that went missing was.............the rules booklet. ;)

butterfly
22-Feb-09, 02:30

Oh and the first thing that went missing was.............the rules booklet. ;)

and my patience........;)

sweetpea
22-Feb-09, 08:48
I think games like Monopoly are a vitally important learning tool for all politicians - they need to learn how to make 'interest-free' bank loans to themselves while no-one is looking, and how to unscrupulously screw-over their fellow man.

Haha yes, I do remember doing exactly just that. My mum would take her money with her if she went to the loo:) I'm no politician though.

Bazeye
22-Feb-09, 13:46

And how to go straight to Jail, just ask Jeffrey Archer.

Bazeye
22-Feb-09, 13:48
Haha yes, I do remember doing exactly just that. My mum would take her money with her if she went to the loo:) I'm no politician though.

And leave the bank unguarded?

Amy-Winehouse
22-Feb-09, 14:09

I think the wee guy tore you a new one & your chucking our toys oot the pram. GIRUY mr Brown[lol]

dogman
22-Feb-09, 14:20

Monopoly for the nintendo wii?

I think that is a great idea.
Nobody stealing your money when you go to the toilet and no losing dice or cards. What a great idea. I had no idea this was available. I'm off to buy it.:)

Melancholy Man
22-Feb-09, 15:45
And how to go straight to Jail, just ask Jeffrey Archer.

Is that not the liar who visits prostitutes?

the second coming
22-Feb-09, 17:55
and the other thing that got me thinking was that Monopoly really emphasises the class differentiation in society. Why should everybody want to buy Mayfair and Park Lane and shun Old Kent Road and Whitechapel Road. It's like one is better than the other! And then there's the message of sending someone to jail for a random event and paying your way out again. And don't get me started about hanging around Kings Cross Station.

I fear for the youth of today.

TheOldByre
22-Feb-09, 18:00
Judging by your spelling, I wouldn't take the spotty youth on at Scrabble either. :)

joxville
22-Feb-09, 18:27
Judging by your spelling, I wouldn't take the spotty youth on at Scrabble either. :)

Ooh that's harsh. lol

Valerie Campbell
22-Feb-09, 20:01
Monopoly for the Wii is a brilliant idea. No more missing dogs, irons, cars, money, community chests or chance cards. Oh, my world just improved!! Still, there's something nostalgic about the board game so be careful. It may end up on ebay and sell for £14, 500!! (Still can't get over someone paying that for a poke of sweeties!!!)

scorrie
22-Feb-09, 21:19
Monopoly for the Wii is a brilliant idea. No more missing dogs, irons, cars, money, community chests or chance cards. Oh, my world just improved!! Still, there's something nostalgic about the board game so be careful. It may end up on ebay and sell for £14, 500!! (Still can't get over someone paying that for a poke of sweeties!!!)

Monopoly has been modernised. The Community Chest card is now called The Jordan Card ;)

ShelleyCowie
25-Feb-09, 00:18
I have Monopoly for the Xbox 360. Completely Genius game! I only like it for the 360 because i won, my first time winning Monopoly ever.

Last time me and the OH played the board game (star wars version) was 2 days before i was due to go into hospital to have my son, my OH thought that the stress of Monopoly would set met off :roll: Anyways....6 hours of monopoly and alot of snacks, i lost. I bloomin well lost. :~(

But the thing was he had not bought Park lane or Mayfair, it was Old kent road, then the blues, pinks and oranges. Hotels and me constantly landing on them...

I refuse to play monopoly again with him. [lol]

buddyrich
25-Feb-09, 02:09
Hmmm. It's funny how people who decry capitalism are hardly shedding their comfortable lifestyle and material posessions and encouraging revolution.

Monopoly's just a game, but maybe young people learning the real value and importance of having, or not having money is more valuable than parents spoiling them by over-indulging them with real money.