PDA

View Full Version : Smoking

Anne x
21-Feb-09, 01:09
With all the Interesting threads thats been on here recently I realise that mine is pretty boring( I really want to put exclamations marks but have resisted )I might add I have never tried to stop smoking before
Now as some of you already know not through choice but have to do it Ive tried since Tuesday to give up smoking I have cut down from 30/3 OH 40/4 OH was using nicorette chewing gum but it gave him awful Hiccups
I have used Nicorette unhulator thingy and its working for me so OH is using this now
My friend has had the new drug from NHS but I realised its not for me as my pal became very depressed the other thing
I do not want to do is put on any weight easier said than done as I have been eating for Britain
Anyhow tonight we have been offered Hypnotherapy privately from OH employers anybody got any experience of this ?

on a lighter note Last Night I was up until 3am high as kite I am quite sure with that nicotine thingy I went out in to my garden for a sly ciggie all the security lights came on and alerted neighbourhood watch it was Me !

ShelleyCowie
21-Feb-09, 01:13
With all the Interesting threads thats been on here recently I realise that mine is pretty boring( I really want to put exclamations marks but have resisted )
Now as some of you already know not through choice but have to do it Ive tried since Tuesday to give up smoking I have cut down from 30/3 OH 40/4 OH was using nicorette chewing gum but it gave him awful Hiccups
I have used Nicorette unhulator thingy and its working for me so OH is using this now
My friend has had the new drug from NHS but I realised its not for me as my pal became very depressed the other thing
I do not want to do is put on any weight easier said than done as I have been eating for Britain
Anyhow tonight we have been offered Hypnotherapy privately from OH employers anybody got any experience of this ?

on a lighter note Last Night I was up until 3am high as kite I am quite sure with that nicotine thingy I went out in to my garden for a sly ciggie all the security lights came on and alerted neighbourhood watch it was Me !

I have tried a billion times to stop smoking! I have tried patches and all that too, never even considered hypnotherapy though. But i would say go for it ;) Its worth a try i say.

And for the record i dont smoke in my house, dont smoke near my son either. Thought i would clear that up before....well you know. ;)

Anne x
21-Feb-09, 01:18
we have never smoked in the house hate the stink which actual makes me a Abnormal smoker
We were in the Carib for Xmas and New year and was chuffed the British Tour operators put pressure on the Mexican Tourist board to ban smoking in Public places it was great but a lot of people were really not happy about it especially the Brits

joxville
21-Feb-09, 01:38
I have tried a billion times to stop smoking! I have tried patches and all that too, never even considered hypnotherapy though. But i would say go for it ;) Its worth a try i say.

And for the record i dont smoke in my house, dont smoke near my son either. Thought i would clear that up before....well you know. ;)

Have you tried a patch over your mouth? [lol]

hotrod4
21-Feb-09, 07:38
I smoke and am in the unusual position of NOt wanting to stop.I have always said that if I wake up one morning and decide to stop then i will try it,otherwise their is no point stopping if your hearts not in it,as all it will be is a waste of time and money.
I smoke in the house but only in the kitchen,I dont smoke in the livingroom EVER as its not fair on the kids or on anyone who visits me.

EDDIE
21-Feb-09, 07:54
With all the Interesting threads thats been on here recently I realise that mine is pretty boring( I really want to put exclamations marks but have resisted )I might add I have never tried to stop smoking before

I stopped last august i was on 40 a day i used the niccorette plastic pipe it worked for me but im now 6 months stop smoking and im still moody.
I think it just a case of you have to experiment with different products for stop smoking and see what one works for u and a lot of people like me has had several attempts at stop smoking and failed in the past and think thats part of the course.
The thing is if you are trying to stop smoking but dont really want to u have a high risk of failing its all in the want factor thats my opinion and the first 3 months is the worst after that it starts getting easier.

silverfox57
21-Feb-09, 09:02
anne wish you and your oh all the best to stop smoking,as i know your get all the help from nhs and others,

Angela
21-Feb-09, 09:55
Wishing you and your OH all the best Anne.

My son was stuck on 3 a day for ages and had already stopped once but started again. This time he read a book his fiancee bought him for Christmas (the title escapes me) and it helped him to stop without too much difficulty and no nicotine replacement. It's only two months, but the first time he only lasted two weeks and said it was always on his mind. This time he says he feels differently about it now he understand the psychology behind smoking and stopping smoking.

Neither my son nor my daughter, who stopped a few years ago before starting a family, have put on any weight at all since stopping.

I know you mightn't have chosen to stop Anne, but I do think you're probably pretty motivated to stop now. Hypnotherapy can be really effective -I had a few sessions last year, not for smoking, but for other things, and found it really useful. My therapist does a lot of work with smokers who want to stop and has a great deal of success. It will only help if you want it to though.

It's nothing like stage hypnosis where you can be made to do things against your will. At the moment if you know consciously that you need to stop, but your subconscious mind isn't in agreement, you will be undecided and in conflict in your own mind overall. Hypnotherapy strengthens the desire to stop at an unconscious level so your conscious thoughts and your unconscious mind are in tune. You do have to be open to the idea that it will help, but don't expect the therapist to magically remove all your cravings -you need to work with him/her.

If you can get hypnotherapy free of charge then I would certainly give it a try, it's a not unpleasant experience and you have nothing at all to lose.

I do hope you both succeed! :)

starry
21-Feb-09, 10:59
I would definitely try the hypnosis, I stopped last year with patches and the inhalator.
I did try hypnosis a few years ago and just didn't want to smoke after, it was the weirdest feeling. The man told me it would wear off in two to three week and to come ack for a top up.
Of course I was a fool and didn't :roll:

If I had struggled too much with it this time I had hypnosis as back up plan.

Good luck with it, I am glad I stopped now. I was at the stage I knew it was affecting my health and I knew deep down I was chancing my luck and one day it was going to start having an impact on my health.

Good luck and pm if you ever want any support or just want to moan. Looking back I think I was quite nuts for the first 6 weeks or so ;)

mulac
21-Feb-09, 11:20
My sister was smoking over 20 a day and had tried various methods to stop but all had failed.
She went to a hypnotist in Inverness and has never smoked since, not even with a good dram in her !
It is worth a try !!

joxville
21-Feb-09, 11:51
I'd urge you to try hypnosis Anne. I was smoked for 30 years, visited a hypnotist on June 9th last year and haven't smoked since. I find it hard to believe that it worked, I don't know how or why it has but am glad it does. It cost me £190, which is about 2 months cost of fags, and any number of return visits to him if I started smoking again within the first year. Please try it.

Gizmo
21-Feb-09, 12:18

Aww poo...yer a smoker?...yuk yuk and double yuk. e smell gees me e boak.

Joost take yer fags and chuck em in e bin :D

ShelleyCowie
21-Feb-09, 12:23
Have you tried a patch over your mouth? [lol]

A patch over ma gob wudna stop me talkin, never mind smokin!

Aww poo...yer a smoker?...yuk yuk and double yuk. e smell gees me e boak.

Joost take yer fags and chuck em in e bin :D

Yeah am a smoker! Thing is i hate the smell, i hate the taste!! But i get bored so just smoke when am bored.

I think i might give the hypnotherapy a try myself!

Anyone know how much it costs??

pat
21-Feb-09, 12:54
Anything to help reinforce your own wishes (you do want to stop don't you?) and to help improve your health and finances.

Go for it - don't turn the offer down, give it a good bash at least if you do wish to stop.

cuddlepop
21-Feb-09, 12:57
I have never smoked so cant really appreciate the addiction they can and do have over you.
As far as my OH is concerned he'd rather smoke than eat and he loves his food.
He's tried to cut down to 10 a day as finances are so tight but its difficult.

I'm not very sympathetic as half the time he's lightening up within an hour of putting one out.I'm sure its purely habit.

I've warned him then when he does get a job he'll never be able to keep nipping out for a fly fag.:roll:

Angela's right,unless you want to stop you wont.I've given up with my Oh as he too enjoys smoking.:(

Good luck.

dragonfly
21-Feb-09, 13:28
you've got to give it a try Anne, what have you got to lose?? I'm presuming the Dr has told you to stop given your health?

At the moment I'm worried for my Mum because of her years of smoking - she had to have a toe amputated a couple of months ago because her veins were blocked and she developed gangrene. Surgeon removed 3 blockages in her leg and put in tubing, is she better now? No, she's in constant pain still, has just been back to Raigmore for another MRI scan as they now think more veins have collapsed.

She stopped smoking as soon as she went in and got her toe amputated, gave up cold turkey, as she says, she just has to look at the stump she's left with and that makes her feel sick when she thinks about a cigarette :rolleyes: I'm just hoping that she doesn't end up losing any more toes or worse her foot!

so please Anne do everything you can to stop now, you'll start benefitting right away

minnie
21-Feb-09, 14:38
I stopped smoking in july last year,i went to smoking sensations(sp)in wick hospital.I was given patches and the inhaler which i used for only 2 weeks because without realsing i was forgettig tp put the patches on in the morn.

I know someone that used hypnotherapy it lasted ok for about a week then they smoked double of what they did before.

joxville
21-Feb-09, 14:57
I stopped smoking in july last year,i went to smoking sensations(sp)in wick hospital.I was given patches and the inhaler which i used for only 2 weeks because without realsing i was forgettig tp put the patches on in the morn.

I know someone that used hypnotherapy it lasted ok for about a week then they smoked double of what they did before.

Smoking Sensations??? It makes smoking sound appealing :)

As for smoking double what they did before???????? I find that hard to believe-are you/they exaggerating to reinforce the tale?

Anne x
21-Feb-09, 15:17
I really want to stop smoking yes to help OH but for myself as well all your different stories are just amazing and some of them horrifying
right now I would try anything to give up and I am going to look at all the options on offer
I personally feel Im doing ok maybe thats just wishfull thinking on my behalf but I am not going to lie about saying Ive stopped when actually Im still having 2-3
OH has been brilliant cold turkey since yesterday hes dreaming of new Audi A5 Cabriolet with the money we are going to save :cool:

thank you for all your pms of support

Thumper
21-Feb-09, 15:41
I gave up for five years,stupidly went back on it again though!When I did give up i did it "cold turkey" and had a gruesome photo pinned up on the fridge that made me think twice when I faltered a bit :eek: I also had an unopened packed of fags in the house at all times,so that I didnt get the panic feeling of I want one but have none,it seemed to work for me as i never opened them,well not for five years anyway :rolleyes: x

youoldduffer
21-Feb-09, 16:56
I stopped for about 2-3 years then when i was having a bad time took a half cig from my OH and that was all it took to start me again. Now 15 years later I'm in the throw's of trying to stop again, I'm down to about 10 a day (from 40-50). I remember the days when i used to say i could stop anytime lol they are long gone.

I find the hardest time is when I'm having a drink (although all my mate have stopped).

minnie
21-Feb-09, 18:39
As for smoking double what they did before???????? I find that hard to believe-are you/they exaggerating to reinforce the tale?[/quote]

Yes they did smoke double of what they did before, im not in the habit of telling porkies.

joxville
21-Feb-09, 19:01
As for smoking double what they did before???????? I find that hard to believe-are you/they exaggerating to reinforce the tale?

Yes they did smoke double of what they did before, im not in the habit of telling porkies.[/quote]

Glad to hear you don't tell porkies, I can't stand people that do that. In fact, I was telling that to Lord Lucan last week while we were in Ulan Bator saving the yellow backed tigerchimp from extinction.

ShelleyCowie
21-Feb-09, 19:13
Glad to hear you don't tell porkies, I can't stand people that do that. In fact, I was telling that to Lord Lucan last week while we were in Ulan Bator saving the yellow backed tigerchimp from extinction.

And how did that work out for u Jox?! [lol]

joxville
21-Feb-09, 19:29
And how did that work out for u Jox?! [lol]

Very well actually. The tigerchimp is now safe and Lord Lucan is off to discover the Paisley-patterned parrot in Paraguay.

teenybash
21-Feb-09, 21:57
Has anyone tried the e cigarette..............you still get your hit but, without the risk. If someone has tried them I would be interested to know if they work..........:confused

Gogglebox
21-Feb-09, 22:21
Ive been doing the Champix tablets for 4 weeks now and as the date approached to stop
(for those who dont know you take them for 8-15 days before you stop) on 1st Feb I still didnt feel as though anything was working so rather than stop badly and have a failure straight off i booked hypnotherapy for the 3rd and carried on for the further 2 days , the morning of the appointment the tablets kicked in and i was feeling really sick after a cigarette, like any normal smoker though i struggled on(smokers know what i mean) and had a couple of others until my appointment at 17:30, had a fag before i went in. Havent had one since !
Did the hypnotherapy work? To be honest didnt think anything too much of it, has it worked, i dont know, have the tablets worked, im still taking them!

So thats me now not had one since half 5 on the 3rd Feb - 3 weeks this Tuesday!! I still want one and take the urge regularly in the day but dont seem to have had the same urge to talk myself into it like i did before so im thinking one or both is working! I even took a few vodkas last weekend and survived without feeling the inclination!!

Anyhow the point is i dont know if it works or not but im doubling my chances with both, one medical, and one getting the correct mental approach which i do feel is working although in the same way as others who have been stopped for years get the urge for a fag i do many times in a day but seem able to get through it better

The work situation is tricky as id go for a fag and a think just to get away from my computer now and again but im now making a point of getting away to the teabar for a cup of tea for 5 minutes away from the desk, its a different habit but its the lesser of two evils by far and is a distraction from the fag break

Anyway, im far from the finish line i know, barely across the start line, stopped for 5 months before about 4 years ago and went back to it, -i was so ashamed id gone back to it i was smoking slyly in my shed - - - - - -thats sounds sad - - sadder still i lived on my own but i was so ashamed that anyone who came to the house would smell the smoke ! Smokers stoop to odd behaviour!!

Good luck to you and anyone else in the same situation, its not easy despite what all the reformed smokers say!
But im sure i'll agree with them that it will be extremely worth it in the end

Anyway better go i fancy a fffffa - - -cup of tea!!

Trouble is with all this tea drinking, Im on 20 flushes a day!!

Gogglebox
21-Feb-09, 22:26
Has anyone tried the e cigarette..............you still get your hit but, without the risk. If someone has tried them I would be interested to know if they work..........:confused

I know someone whose doing it thru something he downloaded on his IPOD!!
Dunno how that works but hes been stopped 7 weeks!!

"e cigarette" - - what you get from e shops??

joxville
21-Feb-09, 22:36

Is he now addicted to his iPod? :)

Ricco
21-Feb-09, 22:38
I used to smoke some 25+ years ago - about 30 a day. Found a booklet produced by the Coventry City Council was a great help. Drink lots of orange juice (NOT squash) as the vit C helps to flush out the nicotine. Avoid spicey food for the time being; get out in the fresh air (it will feel awful to begin with but you soon look forward to it), don't go to the pub or drink alcohol for the time being.

The cravings will go on for some months - even up to a year - but they get less and less and further apart as time goes by.

Remember, you don't crave a cigarette all the time you are asleep so you CAN beat it.

It can be beaten and is worth it. :cool:

teenybash
21-Feb-09, 23:12
Is he now addicted to his iPod? :)

Suppose it's the lesser of the two evils.........trust you to quip..:cool:

teenybash
21-Feb-09, 23:16

E cigarette is electric..........it works off a rechargable battery...I think and it looks like a cigarette...you inhale the nicotine which I think is contained in a cartridge which you can get in different tobacco flavours including menthol and you exhale what looks like smoke but it is actually vapour...............I saw them on e bay and was just wondering if they were any good..............might end up buying one to see for myself. :eek:

EDDIE
21-Feb-09, 23:58

The e cigarette is much the same as a niccorette plastic pipe just more presentable and more fashionable and if its like anything like the niccorette pipe which i used it does work but you do not get the same hit as a ciggarette unfortunatley but it does work in respect of controling the cravings

teenybash
22-Feb-09, 00:55
The e cigarette is much the same as a niccorette plastic pipe just more presentable and more fashionable and if its like anything like the niccorette pipe which i used it does work but you do not get the same hit as a ciggarette unfortunatley but it does work in respect of controling the cravings

Thanks Eddie.....I think I will give it a go....

Anne x
23-Feb-09, 01:46
Thanks for all replies and support still sticking with the Nicorette Inhalator plastic white thingy working so far for us But eating like no mans bizz Im gonna be 20st

My next post will be "Help Im addicted to food How Do I stop eating " Im 5ft 1ins and weigh ?? please help me overcome this addiction or Help I have no clothes that fit me seriously we are delighted with what we have done long road to go yet though
Anne

EDDIE
23-Feb-09, 19:38
Thanks for all replies and support still sticking with the Nicorette Inhalator plastic white thingy working so far for us But eating like no mans bizz Im gonna be 20st

My next post will be "Help Im addicted to food How Do I stop eating " Im 5ft 1ins and weigh ?? please help me overcome this addiction or Help I have no clothes that fit me seriously we are delighted with what we have done long road to go yet though
Anne

Even once you have stopped using your inhalator plastic thing you should keep it with u for a while because if the urge gets the better off you its better to use the plastic thingy than smoke im 6 months stopped and i still keep the plastic thingy with me just in case.