PDA

View Full Version : Trees/ Woods /Clothes

shazzap
21-Feb-09, 00:39
Is there a wood or some trees in Caithness where people hang or put items of clothing. I was talking to a friend about this and am sure i have seen this somewhere. Anyone know :)

Julia
21-Feb-09, 00:48
I'm sure the nearest is Inverness somewhere :confused

fender
21-Feb-09, 00:54
The Black Isle. If I'm not mistaken you will find what you are looking for if you take the first left of the Tore roundabout and head towards Munlochy It should be on your right hand side.

Betty
21-Feb-09, 01:06
I think these places are called 'cloutie wells' and can be researched as such.

Julia
21-Feb-09, 01:20
The Black Isle. If I'm not mistaken you will find what you are looking for if you take the first left of the Tore roundabout and head towards Munlochy It should be on your right hand side.

That's it, that's the place I'm thinking of! :D

Seabird
21-Feb-09, 01:20
Clootie well - http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/munlochy/munlochy/index.html

shazzap
21-Feb-09, 10:30
Thank you everyone i was sure i had read about one in Caithness but i lookk at that much stuff on the WWW. weeeeeeeeelll you know

balto
21-Feb-09, 18:30
Is there a wood or some trees in Caithness where people hang or put items of clothing. I was talking to a friend about this and am sure i have seen this somewhere. Anyone know :)
this has got me curious, why do people do this excuse my ignorance.

DeHaviLand
21-Feb-09, 18:43
this has got me curious, why do people do this excuse my ignorance.

The well is supposed to have healing powers, but you had to leave an item of clothing in exchange.

balto
21-Feb-09, 18:50
The well is supposed to have healing powers, but you had to leave an item of clothing in exchange.
cheers for that, do a lot of people do this.

poppett
21-Feb-09, 22:06
We could start our own orger clootie well if enough folk were interested. It would only take a few bits hung out before tourists from far and wide would be adding to it. Just need a tree beside running water and we`ve cracked it.

shazzap
21-Feb-09, 23:50
We could start our own orger clootie well if enough folk were interested. It would only take a few bits hung out before tourists from far and wide would be adding to it. Just need a tree beside running water and we`ve cracked it.
That would be fun

dragonfly
22-Feb-09, 00:14
aye and a wee bit smelly after a while!!