PDA

View Full Version : George FARQUHAR - Betty SUTHERLAND, Latheron

amyjoanna
20-Feb-09, 22:25
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to clear up what I suspect is a mistake that someone has made when researching my family tree. One of my ancestors is George Farquhar, who married Betty (sometimes Elizabeth) Sutherland on 04.01.1833 in Latheron. As far as I can tell, they had three children: George Bremner (my direct ancestor, 1833), Elizabeth (1835), and John (1840).

My family tree was previously researched by another (less computer/internet-literate) family member, and they seemed to think that George Farquhar's parents were Donald Farquhar (b. 1764, Latheron) and Margaret Ogg/Oag (b. 1769, Sarclet, Wick). This doesn't seem right, however, as their son named George married a Janet Bremner, NOT an Elizabeth Sutherland.

Can anyone clear up this problem?

Thank you :)

trinkie
21-Feb-09, 11:42
This can be such a problem.... but it can happen all too easily.

Go to scotlandspeople and start with your parents marriage certificate and work your way back from there...... checking and re-checking.
Perhaps one of them died and the spouse remarried....
that does create a slight problem with Family research !

I know someone with Oags, so I will bring this to their attention.

Good luck
Trinkie

Tricia
22-Feb-09, 01:04
Just a quick reply tonight

1841 George aged 7 with parents George and Eliz in LATHERON.
christening George 1833 Latheron to George F & Elizabeth Sutherland. but also a christening recorded 1834 for George - did they have one who died? or was this an error in recording - IGI They had other children.

A George Farquhar married 1820 in WICK Janet Bremner/

a Donald Farquhar and Margaret Oag m 1791-

Tricia
22-Feb-09, 18:21
amyjoanna
I note you said in your message your George was born 1833 app named George Bremner Farquhar.
Can you confirm his middle name was Bremner!!! where did Bremner come from??
Did your George m Susanna Sutherland - If so I have his death data 1908 - he was a widower and his son David was informant.

1841:
George 35 fisherman & Elizabeth 20 with George 7 Elizabeth 4 and Jannet 3. Cragygollach!Latheron.
George 45 Tenant & Fisherman children George 18 Fisher, Elis 16 ,Dolina 9 ,Cartherine 7 ,David 4 .. Ruan Latheron

1861 East Clyth
FARQUAR George Head W M 54 Fisherman
FARQUAR George Son U M 26 Do Son
FARQUAR Elizabeth Daur U F 24 Do Daur
FARQUAR David Son U M 14 Scholar

I havn't looked at other census years yet.

George who was married to Elizabeth Sutherland died 2nd July 1890 In Cragiegollach East Clyth, Latheron aged 85 pauper formerly a crofter and fisherman. death Cancer on chest for 10 years. Parents given as George Farquhar (woollen weaver and fisherman) and Janet SINCLAIR. Informant George Farquhar his son - same address.

Tricia

Tricia
22-Feb-09, 19:25
George Farquhar m Janet Sinclair 20 Jun 1801 in Latheron.
Had your George b 1805/6 and others
George m Betty Sutherland 1833.
Had George 1833/4 and others

Other George b Caithness
George Farquhar m Janet BREMNER 9 Dec 1820 in Latheron - I pick up in Leith 1841 1861 1871 census. He a carpenter/boat builder. Children in 1841 cen= Janet Margaret George James Donald Elizabeth.
George from his death cert 1874 aged 77 in Glasgow was son bc 1798 Wick of Donald Farquhar & Margaret OAG.

There is a George F b 1789 Wick as teacher who married Ann??(from Edinburgh)
- he died Wick 1863 - death gives his father as a JOHN.

Tricia

amyjoanna
07-Mar-09, 23:14
amyjoanna
I note you said in your message your George was born 1833 app named George Bremner Farquhar.
Can you confirm his middle name was Bremner!!! where did Bremner come from??
Did your George m Susanna Sutherland - If so I have his death data 1908 - he was a widower and his son David was informant.

The middle name 'Bremner' apparently came about as a result of a friend named Bremner who was present at George Bremner Farquhar's christening.

George didn't marry Susanna Sutherland, he married an Eliza Pinnock, born c. 1840, and had 10 children. George died 31.10.1910.

amyjoanna
07-Mar-09, 23:20
George Farquhar m Janet Sinclair 20 Jun 1801 in Latheron.
Had your George b 1805/6 and others
George m Betty Sutherland 1833.
Had George 1833/4 and others

This sounds about right - I had the line back to Betty Sutherland but didnt have an accurate birth date for George senior, her husband. Do you have any further information on this particular line?

VickiS
02-May-09, 07:08
Am trying to find parents of George Bremner Farquhar born about 1830 Wick Caithness. He married Eliza Pinnock in Australia 1854 but this is as far back as I have found.