PDA

View Full Version : Gentlemen in Black Velvet

badger
14-Feb-06, 11:40
Are there more moles around than usual this year? My garden is covered in mole hills and I've noticed driving around other gardens and fields with more than I've ever seen before. Apart from a David Attenborough video I don't know much about them but is the endless wet weather or what? I like moles but am not looking forward to cutting the grass - messy little things [mad]

Chillie
14-Feb-06, 12:05
Don,t badgers eat moles if they can catch one.[lol] [lol]

Saveman
14-Feb-06, 12:33
Are there more moles around than usual this year? My garden is covered in mole hills and I've noticed driving around other gardens and fields with more than I've ever seen before. Apart from a David Attenborough video I don't know much about them but is the endless wet weather or what? I like moles but am not looking forward to cutting the grass - messy little things [mad]

My back garden is a mountain of mole hills. First time that's happened in the 8 years I've been in this house. Another Caithnessian overpopulation?

squidge
14-Feb-06, 12:43
My back garden is a mountain of mole hills. First time that's happened in the 8 years I've been in this house. Another Caithnessian overpopulation?

Its the new tescos and all the new shops - this is the beginning of the increase in population we were promised today moles - tomorrow poles!!!!

cuddlepop
14-Feb-06, 14:11
I noticed that when we were up there ,seemed to be everywhere you looked there where mole hills.Hope none escaped back to Portree.....:D

Saveman
14-Feb-06, 15:55
http://www.yptenc.org.uk/docs/factsheets/animal_facts/mole.html

More info on our furry little friends.

Apparently if you bury an open musical card in one of their tunnels then the annoying music will drive them away. Bit more humane than poison...

squidge
14-Feb-06, 15:58
My parents live in France and they were told about a plant that you can plant and the moles go away - they were plagued by them but sure enought ehy planted this wee plant and bingo - no moles. Ill ask them what it was

connieb19
14-Feb-06, 20:14
If they don't like annoying music I have a Will Young cd you can borrow Badger...If that dosn't annoy them enough to leave, then i'm afraid I think you're stuck with them..lol :roll:

paris
14-Feb-06, 20:29
Dig up one of the hills and place an empty plastic bottle upright in the run as its called, so the wind will pass over the mouth of the bottle. It makes a right old noise that drives the moles away, believe me it works.

Chillie
15-Feb-06, 02:45
http://www.yptenc.org.uk/docs/factsheets/animal_facts/mole.html

More info on our furry little friends.

Apparently if you bury an open musical card in one of their tunnels then the annoying music will drive them away. Bit more humane than poison...

Not being funny savey but if you read the factsheet you posted it say they can not hear very well so i think that will be a waste of time.

Sorry Connie you will have to keep listening to will young, never mind you might get a different cd for your birthday or xmas.[smirk] :grin:

The Angel Of Death
15-Feb-06, 12:04
Easiest way to get rid of them is upside down landmines in the garden problems solved no more moles :evil

genisis
15-Feb-06, 14:22
when we lived down in England my husband and son used to catch moles as a part time job, when we moved up here we couldnt get over the fact that people were seemingly unconcerned by the amount of moles, especially the farmers as they were the main customers down in england. Moles generally go from a main point to a water source so if you look especially in a garden you will see the hills heading towards a drain or stream or such like. As for Paris' suggestion it does work but it is the vibrations the noise causes not the noise itself that the moles dont like.

badger
15-Feb-06, 16:34
Thanks for all the advice folks. Been having serious disconnection problems (am I seriously disconnected?) so not been on line much lately - difficult when it drops every few minutes. I'm keeping BT busy and seems OK just now but - maybe it's the moles. What kind of spy network is going on under my grass?

Like the sound of a plant, Squidge, so if you can find out what it was I'd be very grateful. Better than blowing the poor little things up.

BTW - this badger definitely doesn't eat moles :cry:

Saveman
15-Feb-06, 20:11
Not being funny savey but if you read the factsheet you posted it say they can not hear very well so i think that will be a waste of time.

Sorry Connie you will have to keep listening to will young, never mind you might get a different cd for your birthday or xmas.[smirk] :grin:

Hey you're right!

I did say apparently! I'll have to check my sources next time. :lol:

badger
15-Feb-06, 20:28
when we lived down in England my husband and son used to catch moles as a part time job, when we moved up here we couldnt get over the fact that people were seemingly unconcerned by the amount of moles, especially the farmers as they were the main customers down in england. Moles generally go from a main point to a water source so if you look especially in a garden you will see the hills heading towards a drain or stream or such like. As for Paris' suggestion it does work but it is the vibrations the noise causes not the noise itself that the moles dont like.

Sorry - didn't mean to ignore you genisis. It's pretty wet all round here just now and I have water on two sides so maybe that's why they're going in so many directions. Poor things must be totally confused. Maybe next time the grandchildren visit we'll just go out and jump up and down - should be fun and good exercise and might even send the moles another way.

Errogie
16-Feb-06, 19:07
Look on the bright side.
Moles prefer ground with plenty of earth worms so they're a sure indication of fertile soil and if you need any for a pot or to level off an area ground they provide perfect sieved material. The problem is they don't know when to stop although I had a cat that used to catch them somehow or other!
Did anyone see the movie "Tremors". They were the moles from hell.

!