PDA

View Full Version : Which Browser do you use?

DrSzin
14-Feb-06, 01:44
Firefox seems to have made inroads into Internet Explorer's (IE) recent dominance of the browser "market". Let's try to find out what the score is amongst members of caithness.org. I bet IE will come out on top, but it might be interesting to find out how many people use Firefox and some of the others. Does anyone still use Netscape?

If you chose "other" please tell us which browser you use and why you use it.

teddybear1873
14-Feb-06, 01:46
Ye i use IE, did have firefox a while back but of the 2 IE comes out on top.Just prefer the look and fell of IE, maybe Firefox is better now

MadPict
14-Feb-06, 01:52
Easier to answer "Which browser DON'T you use"!!!

Internet Explorer!!!

I use:
Safari, Camino, Firefox and occasionally Shiira, Omniweb, Opera and Netscape.

DrSzin
14-Feb-06, 02:00
Easier to answer "Which browser DON'T you use"!!!

Internet Explorer!!!

I use:
Safari, Camino, Firefox and occasionally Shiira, Omniweb, Opera and Netscape.Well, I was going to ask "What is your preferred web browser?" But I eventually went for the simplest question and tried to allow for those of us that use both Firefox and IE because I guessed it would be the most popular combination. Yeah, I know that's begging the question, but I'm not averse to a little second guessing every now and then.

canuck
14-Feb-06, 04:22
Okay, I'll bite - why do you use so many and are some better for certain uses and what would those be?

DW
14-Feb-06, 09:19
Sweaty is a big Opera fan - tabbed browsing - brilliant and really fast.

IE is old man's pants. :p

paris
14-Feb-06, 10:37
Does anyone know of a site to download karaoke songs which you actually get the words to the song on your screen?

krieve
14-Feb-06, 11:18
I use the internet explorer but am open to suggestions lol.

Niall Fernie
14-Feb-06, 11:41
I can tell you from our own stats that IE comes out top with about 96% and thats just IE 6.0, Mozilla is next at about 1.5%, and the rest, well nowhere really.

I use IE and Mozilla simply because they are used most by our visitors, I would use opera if it could actually support some standard ECMA scripting, but it fails pretty miserably why should I bother to work out how to get something to work on Opera when I've spent the last 2 years getting rid of proprietry code.

I can understand the philosophy of using a browser that's not created by an overgrown tyrant of a company but there comes a point where its just less hassle (for me anyway)

I really like the way Mozilla allows you to switch off the stylesheet to see what a text browser would get.

Hopefully all the browser developers will finally give up on trying to add in "new features" and just concentrate on complying with the standards. Roll on HTML 5...

DrSzin
14-Feb-06, 11:53
Sweaty is a big Opera fan - tabbed browsing - brilliant and really fast.

IE is old man's pants. :pMost browsers support tabs. Firefox, Mozilla, Netscape, Safari and Konqueror certainly do. I believe you can download a tabbed-browsing toobar for IE 6, but I haven't tried it. Anyway, IE7 supports tabbed browsing and has a Firefox-like search toolbar, but I haven't tried that either.

Having said all that, I use Firefox on Win XP because of its tabbed browsing and search toolbars, and until recently its popup control seemed better than IE's. It also runs on Linux, and IE doesn't.

Maybe I should try Opera though. Are there any other Opera fans out there?

Niall Fernie
14-Feb-06, 11:58
It also runs on Linux, and IE doesn't.

There is a version of IE5.5 that runs on Linux (under Wine I think), however I think it was put together just to prove a point rather than being actually useful.

pedromcgrory
14-Feb-06, 12:00
Does anyone know of a site to download karaoke songs which you actually get the words to the song on your screen?
http://www.hawaiizone.com/wkaraoke.html

A_Usher
14-Feb-06, 12:01
I share the same views as Niall on this. I also design a lot of sites so use a lot of browsers for compatibility issues, but my favorite has to be firefox at the moment.

pedromcgrory
14-Feb-06, 12:04
http://www.kariokebar.com/lyrics/indexBlondie.html heres a better one ,but you can just type in a google search for sing karaoke online comes up we a lot

DrSzin
14-Feb-06, 12:10
There is a version of IE5.5 that runs on Linux (under Wine I think), however I think it was put together just to prove a point rather than being actually useful.Lol, yes, but I'm not going to install Wine just to run IE. :grin:

Besides, a colleague runs Wine on his Linux box and his machine crashes more than anyone else's. I don't remember the last time mine crashed or hung.

I've just discovered that the "Mozilla Application Suite" has been renamed SeaMonkey. :confused:

Niall Fernie
14-Feb-06, 12:24
I know what you mean... (like I said, to prove a point, IE can crash even the most uncrashable system)

Personally I hate the Mozilla Apps Suite, contains another HTML creation proggy that could learn a lot from Notepad! (although I have to admit that I use Wordpad more often these days as it has better support for line breaks for some reason)

MadPict
14-Feb-06, 12:35
Maybe I should try Opera though. Are there any other Opera fans out there?

I used Opera quite a lot when I was just a PC user - I preferred it to IE and AOL's own browser - but now it tends to sit unused as Firefox has nudged it into the corner.

Canuck - why do I have so many browsers? They're all on different machines and I sometimes use them for website compatibility testing.

jjc
14-Feb-06, 16:34
I see that IE 7 is uncannily similar to Firefox... ;)

scotsboy
14-Feb-06, 16:50
I am confused - I thought Firefox was Mozilla, it says Mozilla Firefox on mine.

Geo
14-Feb-06, 16:51
I had a few false starts with Firefox due to pages not working right at times, so would try it for a month, then go back to IE6 with the Avant addon as I liked tabbed browsing. However I gave Firefox another go about a year ago and haven't looked back. I've found it to be excellent with little if any problem pages.

MadPict
14-Feb-06, 16:59
I am confused - I thought Firefox was Mozilla, it says Mozilla Firefox on mine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla

scotsboy
14-Feb-06, 17:05
I am no further on - It says Mozilla Firefox on the Icon, the application I take it is called Firefox.......so what is Mozilla then?

Geo
14-Feb-06, 17:06
It's taken from Mozilla Corporation the group that produces Firefox. Their email program is called Mozilla Thunderbird.

scotsboy
14-Feb-06, 17:08
So the two choices on the poll - Moizilla and Firefox do they refer to different browsers or not??

DrSzin
14-Feb-06, 17:19
Oh dear, this is my fault. I tried to adhere to the kiss (*) principle in the poll, but I evidently failed miserably.
By "Mozilla", I meant the browser part of the "Mozilla Application Suite" (now called SeaMonkey apparently). The header on the browser window is simply "Mozilla".
By "Firefox", I meant the Firefox browser which should properly be called "Mozilla Firefox" as appears on the header on the browser window.We use both browsers around here and we refer to them informally as Mozilla and Firefox.

So, yes, they refer to different browsers in the poll.

Apologies for the confusion. :o
___
kiss = "keep it simple, stupid" - an appropriate acronym on Feb 14. :)

scotsboy
14-Feb-06, 17:25
Well I have cast my vote wrong :) I voted Mozilla when I should have indicated Firefox........and if I knew how to do smilies I would do one with a beamer.

2little2late
14-Feb-06, 17:26
Using ie7 beta at the moment. Will give it a try and compare with firefox.

George Brims
14-Feb-06, 18:00
I use Netscape, mostly because I have many years' worth of messages stored in the mail component. I know there's an equivalent to go with Firefox, and I am told it's compatible with the one I'm using, but until the boss hires the three other people whose jobs I'm doing alongside my own, I don't have time to switch!

connieb19
14-Feb-06, 20:06
Excuse me for being really stupid...What's a browser??:confused:
I know i'm not the only one because someone else voted "dont know"

Oddquine
14-Feb-06, 20:13
I use Firefox almost exclusively, with IE on the few sites that are set up purely for IE and Opera for working in my web-site C-panel, because, for some reason, neither of the other two will let me in. :confused

I've never heard of some of those others, though, and may give them a go.

Connie, a browser is what you view your internet pages on.

connieb19
14-Feb-06, 20:30
I use Firefox almost exclusively, with IE on the few sites that are set up purely for IE and Opera for working in my web-site C-panel, because, for some reason, neither of the other two will let me in. :confused

I've never heard of some of those others, though, and may give them a go.

Connie, a browser is what you view your internet pages on.Thanks, mines must be AOL then. Maybe I should change it..I never knew you could. Does it make any difference??:D

Oddquine
14-Feb-06, 21:15
Thanks, mines must be AOL then. Maybe I should change it..I never knew you could. Does it make any difference??:D

If you're happy with AOL, then stick with it.

I went onto Firefox because IE was getting unreliable and kept on shutting down, and I was getting a lot of nasties with it.

Plus I liked the tabbed browsing which IE didn't have then.

There's no harm in downloading others to try out, though.if you don't like them then just uninstall them.

erli
14-Feb-06, 21:24
Excuse me for being really stupid...What's a browser??:confused:
I know i'm not the only one because someone else voted "dont know"

Oh thank goodness, I wanted to ask but I thought I would get laughed at.
I am with BT internet and I click on the wee icon to get on the net, if I downloaded mozilla would I have to pay for that too, I don't get it!
Oh and what does tabbed browsing mean, I think I need to do a computer course.

Sandra
14-Feb-06, 21:26
I have AOL but I use Mozilla Firefox as my main browser. Sometimes use the AOL browser and sometimes use IE.

Sandra
14-Feb-06, 21:30
Oh thank goodness, I wanted to ask but I thought I would get laughed at.
I am with BT internet and I click on the wee icon to get on the net, if I downloaded mozilla would I have to pay for that too, I don't get it!
Oh and what does tabbed browsing mean, I think I need to do a computer course.

Tabbed browsing in Firefox lets you load Web pages in separate tabs of a single browser window, so you can jump between them quickly and easily.

See example on this link

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/tabs.html

erli
14-Feb-06, 21:34
Thanks Sandra, I think I get it.

The Angel Of Death
14-Feb-06, 21:46
I installed that a few weeks ago and had countless problems the main ones were worringly outlook express wouldnt open any links kept going to my desktop folder (this was reported in a previous version of the beta !!!) and my vpn remote access program wont work now even after a system restore and uninstalling both program im still stuck

Looks like another format and reinstall is called for and on that i am going no where near the "final" release of explorer 7

jjc
14-Feb-06, 21:49
Connieb19,

You are using your ‘browser’ right now to read this message. Your web browser is the program that you use to view web pages. If you don’t know what a browser is then the chances are you haven’t replaced yours and you are probably using Internet Explorer (Microsoft’s web browser application).

If you really want to know what browser you are using then click on the ‘help’ menu. You’ll probably have something like ‘About Internet Explorer’ or ‘About Mozilla Firefox’, but you should at least have an ‘About’. Clicking that will tell you what browser you are using and what version it is.

Erli,

No, you won’t have to pay for Mozilla Firefox. It is open-source. This means that anybody who wants to (and knows how to) can develop new improvements and features for Firefox. More importantly, it also means that it is free. You can download it through the link that Sandra gave above.

Hope that helps,

JJC

erli
14-Feb-06, 21:53
Thanks JJC.

connieb19
14-Feb-06, 22:21
Thanks JJc...:grin:

daviddd
14-Feb-06, 22:27
Just started using Firefox, find it much better than IE, having several websites open at the same time is a real bonus. However I have to use IE with Ebay Snipe program as it doesn't wotk with FF.

Niall Fernie
15-Feb-06, 09:16
I'm not conviced by tabbed browsing yet, I'm a man with many windows, always have been, even more so since I hooked up a second monitor. Desktop resolution is now 2764x1200 and I use XP with program grouping switched on so I suppose its almost tabbed :)

I'm going to be setting up a dual boot with slackware so I'll probably be using Firefox more often and might get used to the tabbed bit.

Geo
15-Feb-06, 10:47
Tabbed browsing is excellent. We don't all have enough real estate on our monitor to have 100 windows open. :)

DrSzin
16-Feb-06, 18:41
Firefox seems to have made inroads into Internet Explorer's (IE) recent dominance of the browser "market". Let's try to find out what the score is amongst members of caithness.org. I bet IE will come out on top, but it might be interesting to find out how many people use Firefox and some of the others.Well...

So much for my bet. :o

IE and Firefox are both sitting on 20 votes (although Firefox should have 21), which is about 30% of the "market", or 35% if you include half of the "both" voters in each. AOL (a version of IE) comes third with about 12%. It seems that the voting populace of orgerland doesn't reflect either the web as a whole, or even orgerland as a whole (as evidenced by Niall's figures).

We voting orgers seem to be a rather select and discerning bunch. :cool:

As for tabbed browsing, I've been using it since Netscape 6 came out about 4 or 5 years ago (I think), and I find it hard to live without it. My laptop is XP Pro and Red Hat dual boot, but I suspect my next one might be XP with Cygwin. Dual boot is fine, but one often wants XP and Linux at the same time, and dual boot doesn't give you that. :(

tommy1979
16-Feb-06, 20:31
good to see my vote edges firefox ahead of M$ IE by 21 to 20

Firefox Loyal

MadPict
17-Feb-06, 18:16
Am I the only Mac user here?.......

alZir
17-Feb-06, 18:19
Been hearing bad things about beta7 2little........apparently is affects several settings which cause, on occasion , to make the previous version of IE continually freeze, or non function.
I also heard it could affect other browsers, firefox in particular.

Personally I use Firefox, and Opera occasionally.............don't even have IE on my machine.

edit : i reread the thread, and see Angelofdeath has already run across this prob. Sorry for the repeat info......and bad luck Angel.....

Oh.....I forgot to say hallo........:D......... naice to be here.

z

Abdullah
21-Feb-06, 23:01
I thought Mozilla and firefox were one and the same?

Julia
22-Feb-06, 13:13
I use Avant, it's a tabbed browser, easy to use and safe! No adware or spyware, includes a pop-up blocker, it claims to be the fastest browser available. In my opinion it's well ahead of IE, I used to use Firefox but Avant is so much better. [lol]

http://www.avantbrowser.com/