PDA

View Full Version : Seniors, ancients, fossils.....

rich
19-Feb-09, 16:01
How do you address your elders?
Let's have some respect for the aged.
Terms like "an ould mannie" will not hack it in the 21st century.
If anyone calls me an "ould mannie" they will get a wallop from my walking stick.
The proper term of course is "sir".
Just so you know...

And here's the New York Times with some sound advice.

http://newoldage.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/02/11/goodbye-spry-codgers-so-long-feisty-crones/

changilass
19-Feb-09, 16:13
Show me the papework for your knighthood and I will call you Sir, if not you aint got a hope in hell.

I am gonna be a proper owld dear - with no teeth, wrinkles, proper white hair - folks can call me what they like cos I aint gonna wear my hearing aid, so there lol.

arana negra
19-Feb-09, 18:35
I might just be like this :lol: ...

When I am an old woman, I shall wear purple

with a red hat that doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.

And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves

and satin candles, and say we've no money for butter.

I shall sit down on the pavement when I am tired

and gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells

and run my stick along the public railings

and make up for the sobriety of my youth.

I shall go out in my slippers in the rain

and pick the flowers in other people's gardens

and learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat

and eat three pounds of sausages at a go

or only bread and pickles for a week

and hoard pens and pencils and beer nuts and things in boxes.

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry

and pay our rent and not swear in the street

and set a good example for the children.

We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?

So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised

When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.

Boss
19-Feb-09, 18:47
If anyone calls me an "ould mannie" they will get a wallop from my walking stick.
Just so you know...

http://newoldage.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/02/11/goodbye-spry-codgers-so-long-feisty-crones/

Sir, it is then even if you are an old mannie.........?

Boss
19-Feb-09, 18:48
Show me the papework for your knighthood and I will call you Sir, if not you aint got a hope in hell.

I am gonna be a proper owld dear - with no teeth, wrinkles, proper white hair - folks can call me what they like cos I aint gonna wear my hearing aid, so there lol.

Clever & witty too! Lol

Valerie Campbell
19-Feb-09, 19:30

Had to quote this too. It's what I find annoying in America. People are addressed as 'Sir' or 'Ma'am.' As pointed out, do all the men have knighthoods and the women, are they all HM Queen? Yes,before I'm shot down in flames, in letters I write Dear Sir, or Ma'am if I don't know who the person I'm addressing but in the street, I wouldn't address them in any particular way. 'Hello,' or 'Good morning' kind of does it for me.

hails4
19-Feb-09, 20:21
Had to quote this too. It's what I find annoying in America. People are addressed as 'Sir' or 'Ma'am.' As pointed out, do all the men have knighthoods and the women, are they all HM Queen? Yes,before I'm shot down in flames, in letters I write Dear Sir, or Ma'am if I don't know who the person I'm addressing but in the street, I wouldn't address them in any particular way. 'Hello,' or 'Good morning' kind of does it for me.

This is a good point about addressing letters to Sir or Madam, i think we should all just put Dear Him or Her lol

oldmarine
19-Feb-09, 21:35
Just so you know...

At 83 years of age I wear the term "old" proudly.

Tugmistress
19-Feb-09, 21:58
This political correctness malarky is starting to get on my nerves! i reserve the right to grow old disgracefully and enjoy every minute of it and if i'm still known for being 'that daft old bat' then i'll be pleased :)

golach
19-Feb-09, 22:13
At 83 years of age I wear the term "old" proudly.
Likewise , I too think the term old is a term of affection, it just depends the adjective that goes along with it [lol]

sweetpea
20-Feb-09, 00:13
Forgot crinkley!

butterfly
20-Feb-09, 01:53

changilass!you cracked me up with that,sooooo funny![lol]

Metalattakk
20-Feb-09, 02:32
I like the idea of 'old geezers', but 'ould mannies' tops the list, no doubts.

I've only just recently (well, a few years ago) become a 'mannie', so I look forward to the addition of 'ould' in front, if all goes well. ;)

WickLad08
20-Feb-09, 03:43
Why is it when you are dealing with someone and you address them as madam trying to be polite they turn around and say "don't call me madam, i am no madam"? Is this just happening to me?

butterfly
20-Feb-09, 04:06
Why is it when you are dealing with someone and you address them as madam trying to be polite they turn around and say "don't call me madam, i am no madam"? Is this just happening to me?

you are being polite and she is being impolite.theres no pleasing some folks......:roll:

rich
20-Feb-09, 16:39
Arana Negra, thanks for the lovely poem.
I was waiting for someone to come upwith T.S.Eliot:
"I grow old, I grow old
I shall wear my trousers with the bottoms rolled"
What that is supposed to mean I have no idea. Although I have pleasant memories of walking along the Murkle beach in surf up to my ankles carrying my shoes. Perhaps we elderly citizens should get together for a T S Eliot day. Imagine all these venerable Caithnessians going for a splash through the surf.....we could have some Caithness dialect enthusiast read the Wasteland
I can just hear the anguished cries from our children "What are you doing you silly old fool!" while we splash carelessly around and reply "You are too young to know"
Phew....I feel better already just imagining it.

teenybash
20-Feb-09, 16:50

I think I would quite like to be called Madam....it has a sort of Parisienne je ne sais qoui....so if anyone wants to call me madam...oooo lala;)

rich
20-Feb-09, 16:54
We have TS ELIOT!
With a cool band.
(But someone should cheer him up a bit....)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXsItbsr4o0

George Brims
20-Feb-09, 22:06
Likewise , I too think the term old is a term of affection, it just depends the adjective that goes along with it [lol]
It's the nouns that cause the trouble after the adjective "old".
"Old friend" or "old dear" cause little offence, but tack on "geezer" or "fart" and it's insulting.

golach
20-Feb-09, 22:30
It's the nouns that cause the trouble after the adjective "old".
"Old friend" or "old dear" cause little offence, but tack on "geezer" or "fart" and it's insulting.
Drat George, I just knew I had used the wrong word, its an age thing, but ty [lol]