PDA

View Full Version : Dont recognise the number?

cuddlepop
19-Feb-09, 15:38
Do you answere your mobile when a number comes up that you dont recognise?
I've been pestered by companies just wanting a quick sale,so now unless I know the number I dont answere it.

Hopefully I'll never be caught out with a genuine emergency though.:(

If you have a number how do you find out who it is,without dialing it back?

Thumper
19-Feb-09, 15:42
Yip I am being pestered too,an 0808 number calls my mobile about 4 times a day and then hangs up as soon as I answer it!Also have one that calls my house at least once a day asking for my ex hubby and I tell them every time that he hasnt lived here for three years and then they slam the phone down,I have caller display and it comes up as 00000000!x

poppett
19-Feb-09, 15:44
There is a site called "say no to 0870". This gives alternative numbers for companies using expensive helplines. I have found a few rogue numbers on my mobile and have traced them through the above site to catalogue companies. You just type in the number you have and it gives any alternative available for the company.

For fear of emergency I answer my phone but if it is cold calling I cut the call, my theory being they would think the battery had gone flat or I had lost signal.

I don`t call back unknown numbers, as if it was a genuine emergency i would have been left a voicemail or the caller would redial.

cuddlepop
19-Feb-09, 15:49
There is a site called "say no to 0870". This gives alternative numbers for companies using expensive helplines. I have found a few rogue numbers on my mobile and have traced them through the above site to catalogue companies. You just type in the number you have and it gives any alternative available for the company.

For fear of emergency I answer my phone but if it is cold calling I cut the call, my theory being they would think the battery had gone flat or I had lost signal.

I don`t call back unknown numbers, as if it was a genuine emergency i would have been left a voicemail or the caller would redial.

Thanks for that Poppet will go online and see whose trying to contact me.
If its a number whose code we've have someone living there then I'll answere it but I dont want to waste my time with cold callers.:Razz

Julia
19-Feb-09, 16:00
I've had a lot of cold calls lately too! I received one at the most inopportune moment recently which was really quite embarrassing, my ringtone is a bit and I couldn't find the off button quick enough. :eek:

Register with TPS

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/

'The Telephone Preference Service (TPS) is the central opt out register on which you can record your preference not to receive unsolicited sales and marketing telephone calls to your home or mobile telephone numbers. It is a legal requirement that all organisations (including charities, voluntary organisations and political parties) do not make such calls to numbers registered on the TPS unless they have your consent to do so'

They also offer services to stop unwanted mail and faxes.

carasmam
19-Feb-09, 16:10
I've had a lot of cold calls lately too! I received one at the most inopportune moment recently which was really quite embarrassing, my ringtone is a bit and I couldn't find the off button quick enough. :eek:

Register with TPS

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/

'The Telephone Preference Service (TPS) is the central opt out register on which you can record your preference not to receive unsolicited sales and marketing telephone calls to your home or mobile telephone numbers. It is a legal requirement that all organisations (including charities, voluntary organisations and political parties) do not make such calls to numbers registered on the TPS unless they have your consent to do so'

They also offer services to stop unwanted mail and faxes.

What's your ringtone Julia, I'm curious now :lol:

Kodiak
19-Feb-09, 16:43
I have a Block on all WithHeld numbers on my Land Line, I also check the number before I answer the phone and if it is a Number I do not recognise or it begins with 0870 I just reject it. Simple.

daviddd
19-Feb-09, 17:28
I have a Block on all WithHeld numbers on my Land Line, I also check the number before I answer the phone and if it is a Number I do not recognise or it begins with 0870 I just reject it. Simple.But - anyone of many people might ring me who only do so one in a while and I can't possible remember all their numbers. This might be a way to lose friends Kodiak?!

Kodiak
19-Feb-09, 17:37
This could happen if you do not remember the numbers, fortunately I have a "Thing" with numbers and I remember them. For an example, when I was just a young teen, 50 years ago, I had a friend and his Telephone Number was 25638. This is no long a Viable number and has not been for many many years but I find it impossible to forget.

One thing you could do and this is to tell all your friends that when they Phone you to let the phone ring twice and then hang up. Then redial and let it ring, then you will know that it is a friend even if you do not recognise the number.

Venture
19-Feb-09, 17:37
Yip I am being pestered too,an 0808 number calls my mobile about 4 times a day and then hangs up as soon as I answer it!Also have one that calls my house at least once a day asking for my ex hubby and I tell them every time that he hasnt lived here for three years and then they slam the phone down,I have caller display and it comes up as 00000000!x

I'm having the same problem Thumper with the 000000000 number too. I did answer it the first time and told them I wasn't interested in whatever it was they were selling and hung up. They now call me about 3 to 4 times a day but because I have caller display I ignore it. It is becoming a bit of pest now though.[disgust]

Sarah
19-Feb-09, 17:48
I rarely answer it unless I know I am waiting on a call from someone I don't know.

Julia
19-Feb-09, 18:23
What's your ringtone Julia, I'm curious now :lol:

It's 'Gay Bar' by Electric 6 :eek:

arana negra
19-Feb-09, 18:25
Here we get plagued by Orange and Y.com who are one and the same, they want to know if we have internet and if we are interested in joining them. NO amount of telling them to check their records has made any diifference we are ALREADY a customer of theirs ! We now ask if they will give us their name NIE (personal number here in Spain) number as we want to denounce them.

My husband keeps getting unsoilicited data calls on his works mobile, neither of us answer unrecognised numbers. If somebody really wants to talk to us they will find another way.

If I had your number I would send a text first saying I was going to call but then I am a miserable scot so not likely to ring all the way to North o Scotland :-)

Liz
19-Feb-09, 20:31
I registered with TPS but am still plagued by 0800 calls. They ring at least twice a day!:confused

butterfly
20-Feb-09, 03:52
i hate cold callers especially at tea time but i put them on mute then loudspeaker and finish what i am doing,its quite funny hearing them losing patience and we get a laugh too.after a while they give up and hang up.[lol]

cuddlepop
20-Feb-09, 10:19
My brother was getting plagued by phonecalls trying to sell him mobility aids so one day when I was in with the dogs he put the phone on loudspeaker and we let the dogs bark their heads off,

It was so funny and he's had peace ever since.:D

balto
20-Feb-09, 12:08
we get so many of these stupid 08 numbers, mind phoning bt before and apparently it is computer generated phone calls, and if know one is available to speak to you when you answer, the computer just hangs up so to speak. soooo annoying.

Fluff
20-Feb-09, 14:03
Tell/ask them to remove them from their calling list. It might not be done straigtht away but legally I think they have to do it.

Just becareful not answering withheld numbers. Alot of genuine companys or places likes doctors surgeries etc withhold thier number. It could be something important!!