PDA

View Full Version : looking for shot rabbits

3network3
19-Feb-09, 12:10
Hiya

I hope i don't offend anyone who has pet rabbits:roll:.

I'm looking for wild rabbits to feed to my dog (dead ones:)) as part of her BARF diet. Maybe this is a long shot as I'm down in Inverness, but if someone has an idea where to source them (butcher is too expensive) for a reasonable price I would be grateful.

Thanks

router
19-Feb-09, 12:55
find a local farmer and ask them if they have some too shoot or even maybe they will shoot some for you.

Julia
19-Feb-09, 15:30
Hiya

I'm looking for wild rabbits to feed to my dog (dead ones:)) as part of her BARF diet. Maybe this is a long shot as I'm down in Inverness, but if someone has an idea where to source them (butcher is too expensive) for a reasonable price I would be grateful.

Thanks

I know it's not a whole one but I feed mine minced rabbit from pets at home (in the freezer section), my friend feeds hers whole rabbits so will ask her where she gets them from.

abc123
20-Feb-09, 02:11
Hiya

Thanks

Why is it acceptable to kill wild animals to feed pet animals ? An animal, is an animal, is an animal. What makes a wild rabbit less worthy of a life than a pet dog ?

Aaldtimer
20-Feb-09, 04:30
Why is it acceptable to kill wild animals to feed pet animals ? An animal, is an animal, is an animal. What makes a wild rabbit less worthy of a life than a pet dog ?

It's called "Nature".
It's what the dog would do if it wasn't a pet.
Prey / predator ...geddit?

Are you a veggie... or do you enjoy a nice steak now and again?[disgust]

abc123
20-Feb-09, 09:55
It's called "Nature".
It's what the dog would do if it wasn't a pet.
Prey / predator ...geddit?

Are you a veggie... or do you enjoy a nice steak now and again?[disgust]

I thoroughly enjoy a steak, and have no issues about killing animals for food.

It is however completely contradictory for people to one moment ask us to pray for one animal (their pet) and in the next breath ask us to go out and kill others (wild animals).

cuddlepop
20-Feb-09, 10:07
My own dog managed to catch a wild rabbit in a park in Glasgow
You just have to accept the dogs are basically acting on a basic instinct.
We were mortified but the dog was just too quick,she's5 and never caught one before.:eek:

I'm sure you'll find plenty of wild rabbits on the hillside soon.

You dont have the expression "Mad March Hair " for nothing.

abc123
20-Feb-09, 10:09
"Mad March Hair "

You need a trip to the barbers then.

cuddlepop
20-Feb-09, 10:14
You need a trip to the barbers then.

Unfortunatly I spelt Hair instead of Hare,do you enjoy pulling people up on their mistakes.

If you do then why dont you become a teacher?:roll:

The Moderators are keeping an eye on this forum simply because its been "hyjacked" by "nit pickers":(

Go on have your fun now.......

abc123
20-Feb-09, 10:19
The Moderators are keeping an eye on this forum

I would hope that they are keeping an eye on all forums.

Anyway, we are digressing off the topic of this thread, which was shot rabbits. Do you not see the irony of the human intervention in preserving the life of one animal group by going out and killing another animal group ?

3network3
20-Feb-09, 11:43
ABC123 you're funny I have to lough :D:D

I don't go out or ask anybody to go out and shoot rabbits so that my dog can eat them, but there are people who shoot rabbits, pheasants, deer etc for whatever reasons and if some of them end up in my carnivores tummy why not?

Oh and as far this irony you describe is concerned, of course you're right. There is loads of irony in life. A vet strives to preserve animal life as a profession and on the way home he goes into the butcher and buys some mince for dinner

_Ju_
20-Feb-09, 14:00
Wild raw rabbit is not a good idea. You could give your dog a serious parasitic infection.

3network3
20-Feb-09, 15:36
I think if the rabbit is frozen to -20 core temp for 24 hours it was OK?

_Ju_
20-Feb-09, 15:54
No house (domestic) freezer will reach that temperature. It has to be consistently below -20C for at least 20 days (even then it's not a garantee). Home freezers work at higher temperatures and with large variations ( you open the door on a home freezer alot more often than industrial ones). Besides, how will you measure core temperatures?

crustyroll
21-Feb-09, 00:16
Wild raw rabbit is not a good idea. You could give your dog a serious parasitic infection.

Ju, could you explain this in more details please? I feed rabbits to my dogs but they are bought from the butcher. However how many of those rabbits are bred for food and how many are wild and have been caught? Have you fed rabbits and had a parasitic infection as a result?

buggyracer
21-Feb-09, 01:30
feed mine raw rabbit often, as with anything regular worming is needed, but no other side effects.

_Ju_
21-Feb-09, 09:42
I doubt that your butcher is selling you game rabbit. If butchers sell wild hunted rabbit it would be more expensive than the farmed variety anyway. Unless they are not healthmarked, in which case they should not be sold by him.

There are several parasites carnivores can get from eating meat. Echinococus in dogs is very dangerous- more for us than for the dog as we can infect ourselves with the eggs from the dog and end up with hydatid cysts. Now I don't know how prevalent it is up here. But I do know that there is echinococus in the UK. Would I feed my dog raw wild rabbit? Not on my life!

http://www.esccap.org/119/Guidelines/English/G1_Eng_.htm

jean
21-Feb-09, 11:52
mine eat wild shot rabbit skinned and gutted occaisionally and are fine. raw meat and non weight bearing bones are great for keeping a dogs teeth clean of tartar and helps empty the anal glands as well. as for rabbits My Oh shoots them when they become too plentiful,. 6 rabbits can eat in one day what 1 sheep will eat so you can see when grass is scarse why they have to be controlled. My friend a gamekeeper also feeds all his dogs rabbits as well as the usual dog food. his are fine too. my dogs are wormed regularly . however they are also a scavenging bunch and due to that I need to keep an eye on the regular worming.
if you want wild rabbit contact a local estate and speak to the keeper. chances are you will get them for very little money, maybe you could go beating in exchange during the season.