PDA

View Full Version : Castletown Chip shop

S&LHEN
17-Feb-09, 21:35
Has anyone tried the castletown chipshop? I was in the other night and the food was absoloutly gorgeous and it was so cheap My son got a burger roll,chips,and a tin of coke for £2.75 its well worth a visit if your passing I ll start making excuses to go now:lol::lol: I had a jumbo sausage supper mmmmmmmmmmmmm Im now starving must raid the fridge:)

Kodiak
17-Feb-09, 21:38
I drive out to there at least once a week. Well worth the 12 mile round trip, or at least I think so.

If you want a real treat try their Cumberland Sausage, it is fantastic. They tell me that they make their own and I can well believe it.

lazytown
17-Feb-09, 22:20
If you want a real treat try their Cumberland Sausage, it is fantastic. They tell me that they make their own and I can well believe it.

Their homemade sausages are excellent.

S&LHEN
17-Feb-09, 23:15
Mmmmmmm sounds lovely, I think I will try them I really enjoyed my jumbo.:lol:

jaykay
18-Feb-09, 16:21
Anyone know what their fish is like?

Fluff
18-Feb-09, 18:36
If it is the same people who took it over about 5-6 years ago the food is amazing. Of what I remember, the fish was delicious.

S&LHEN
18-Feb-09, 19:11
My other half got fish and chips and he said it was the best he had ever tasted so we were all happy:lol:

Mik.M.
18-Feb-09, 23:14
Castletown Chipper was the first place we ate at when we came up here on holiday 2 years ago. Definatly the best fish & chips up here! Will gladly drive out to them.

Boss
18-Feb-09, 23:42
Has anyone tried the castletown chipshop? I was in the other night and the food was absoloutly gorgeous and it was so cheap My son got a burger roll,chips,and a tin of coke for £2.75 its well worth a visit if your passing I ll start making excuses to go now:lol::lol: I had a jumbo sausage supper mmmmmmmmmmmmm Im now starving must raid the fridge:)

Mmm sounds suberb but alas, I have still to explore that part of our world.
Don't know where Castletown is exactly, do, however, know where the Halladale Inn is and their Fish & Chips are something to write home about!

Kodiak
18-Feb-09, 23:57
Castletown is just East of thurso here is a Map that shows Position :-

http://i40.tinypic.com/t89fux.jpg

Here is a Street Map of Castletown and Green X Marks the Fish & Chip Shop :-

http://i41.tinypic.com/5vd5k2.jpg

K

Boss
19-Feb-09, 01:01
Thank you, Kodiak greatly appreciated, I shall make my way some of these days to Castletown.
And to the fish & chip shop.
;)

hotrod4
24-Feb-09, 07:55
I know this is a recommendtaion thread, but I have been to The chip shop and wasnt impressed at all, We have been twice on our way back from Groats etc and both times the food has been greasy,bland and tasteless.We got Patties which were a shade pink and the tattie in it hadnt been seasoned.!!!! Patties shouldnt be pink and if the tattie isnt seasoned it makes it a very bland dish.
Sorry but I wasnt impressed at all with it.
Will go to Henriettas in Wick or Robins in Thurso.

S&LHEN
01-Mar-09, 00:30
I dont know if im right in saying this but surly its better that you season it yourself as everyone has different tastes??
And as for greasy I have to say theyre no more greasy than any other chipshop you have to bear in mind it is a chipshop after all:confused, I was there tonight and I tried the pizza this time and it was gorgeous:lol: none of the other chip shops ive been to come close im well impressed and at such reasonable prices so I for one will definatly be back.

hotrod4
01-Mar-09, 20:10
I dont know if im right in saying this but surly its better that you season it yourself as everyone has different tastes??
And as for greasy I have to say theyre no more greasy than any other chipshop you have to bear in mind it is a chipshop after all:confused, I was there tonight and I tried the pizza this time and it was gorgeous:lol: none of the other chip shops ive been to come close im well impressed and at such reasonable prices so I for one will definatly be back.
I get your point but if you make a potato dish surely you put salt in it when its cooking otherwise it becomes a bland blob!!!!
Might give them another try sometime just to see if it was n OFF day.

S&LHEN
01-Mar-09, 23:35
Good on you Hotrod. I definatly think you ll be impressed I definatly was and it take a lot to impress me :lol: Everytime I season potato dishes I put far to much salt in it for people and they end up drinking water all night so ive given up on seasoning. :lol::lol:

Deemac
02-Mar-09, 15:52
I maybe get a chippie 2 or 3 times a year.

Last few times was at Castletown and the fish & chips were great. Highly recommended.

I thought the staff were also very friendly, the prices fair and will happily go back.

S&LHEN
05-Mar-09, 12:16
Thats true the staff all seemed lovely and I must say the prices were amazing so were all round happy.:lol:

topotheuk
05-Mar-09, 12:55
Had a meal from here on Tuesday and as usual, great food, fresh just out of the fryers, fab chips, fresh light and fluffy, not greasy at all and great value. Well done Ian and Ali.

Max
05-Mar-09, 17:05
I remember they used to do lovely pasta dishes, made fresh, to carry out. Do they still do that?

gary.b
05-Mar-09, 20:55
Without doubt the best chipper in the county.

S&LHEN
11-Mar-09, 19:08
Yes I had a look at there menu they near enough do everything I managed to get there again on Saturday I was delighted as always :) Tried the mobile takeaway last week to but didnt think much of it:~( So i ll be sticking with my weekly trip out to Castletown. :lol:

stiggy
15-Mar-09, 20:20
We tend to go to Castletown Chippie every couple of weeks and would highly recommend it, not only for the food but the lovely friendly service.
When ever we get a kids box for our wee one who is autistic they always ask her which one she wants and check the sweets inside aren't sugar coated as she doesn't like them.:)

No matter how busy they are they always have a friendly word for her, making life so much easier.

ellimac
18-Mar-09, 15:16
I know this is a recommendtaion thread, but I have been to The chip shop and wasnt impressed at all, We have been twice on our way back from Groats etc and both times the food has been greasy,bland and tasteless.We got Patties which were a shade pink and the tattie in it hadnt been seasoned.!!!! Patties shouldnt be pink and if the tattie isnt seasoned it makes it a very bland dish.
Sorry but I wasnt impressed at all with it.
Will go to Henriettas in Wick or Robins in Thurso.

Was out there last night and I agree with hotrod, the food was greasy, bland and tasteless, I have been to Castletown chippy a good few times over the years, but lately the times I have had food from there I always say I won't go back, but then I do thinking maybe its gotten better but only to be disappointed again. I will certainly not be going back in a hurry, like you hotrod I think you can't beat Henriettas in wick and I also think Reids in Thurso is really good, but each to there own.....