PDA

View Full Version : Good service in Caithness Shops!

DW
13-Feb-06, 12:20
Sweaty has taken a sweetness pill and now loves fluffy kittens and snappy doggies.

She also wants to celebrate the good service we all enjoy in Caithness shops.

Instead of highlighting the crappy service let's all highlight the good service, so that we can all shop in these shops and boycott the rest.

Sweaty has just been in the HydroBoard shop in Wick. Within 30 seconds an assistant had come over and was asking if she could help. She then discussed dvd recorders with Sweaty helping her to learn more.

Sweaty was delighted with this clear helpful service and has nominated the Hydro Board for a SweatyBetty Service Award.

Happy happy :D :Razz :p smiley smiley.

paris
13-Feb-06, 12:52
I nominate Graham beggs. When we lived up there they were so helpful with regards to all the electrical equipment we brought. And the little shop in wick, the one that sells curtains etc that you go up 3 steps to get in. Lovely man .
Oh and the pine furniture shop in thurso, the one on the waters edge.

brandy
13-Feb-06, 13:19
i second grahmn beggs! always super helpful with anything electrical.. and when my washing machine exploded..they had me a new one up and installed that morning.. within a couple hours of ordering it! and as i couldnt leave the house i even bought it on the phone and paid for it!
magic!

Donnie
13-Feb-06, 13:33
The old man who worked in the little grocers shop across from the Central. Sadly he has passed away now but he was more than helpful.

moncur
13-Feb-06, 13:54
The music shop in thurso. those guys can find pretty much anything for any instrument at a reasonable price. Iv been a customer of theirs since i was young and they've always impressed.

unicorn
13-Feb-06, 13:55
The people in Mackays grocers are still more than helpful. They give excellent customer service.

AR
13-Feb-06, 14:37
Alacam in thurso has been good,and bain and gibson before. The sports shop in wick is always good too and graham beggs eas ace last year when i needed a new tv though my insurance.

angela5
13-Feb-06, 14:41
Out of any shop in wick that i've had good service from is got to be Fairways.

Alice in Blunderland
13-Feb-06, 14:47
I agree Fairways is one of the most helpfull shop in Wick I can go in at any time they are always pleasant aknowledge your prescence and dont pester you.If he hasnt got what you are looking for he will go out of his way to try and get it.I have even had a phonecall from him when he had special offers in as he didnt want me to miss out ,no sales pressure just a kind gesture as he knew the stuff would sell anyway.He most certainly deserves a SweatyBetty award.:)

auldalto
13-Feb-06, 14:49
I would agree that the Music Shop in Thurso gives an excellent service.If you place an order they phone you at home when your order is in. Not only that but they are open all day. No lunch hour stopping!

angela5
13-Feb-06, 15:06
I would agree that the Music Shop in Thurso gives an excellent service.If you place an order they phone you at home when your order is in. Not only that but they are open all day. No lunch hour stopping!

I agree there auldalto great service, they must be the only shop that does'nt stop and close at lunch.

DW
13-Feb-06, 16:15
Maybe we should get a little logo for the good shops to display - something appropriate for a
SweatyBetty Service Award

http://drip.moo.jp/img001.gif

teehee:D

kani
13-Feb-06, 18:18
Well I nearly fell off my chair, good service in the hydro in Wick! When I last visited this shop (early December 2005), I struggled through the very heavy doors with my daughter in her buggy, located the freeview boxes, looked at the two that were on display saw there was no additional info for someone like myself who is not technically minded, waited for someone to offer assistance(I'm still waiting), but the two assistants were having a good old gossip and didn't offer any help whatsoever, so I left thinking well sod you I'll get all info I need off the internet and will buy it there as well if you're not bothered about my custom then I'll spend my money elsewhere. Oh and just so you know I had the same performance with the doors again even to be acknowledged would have been a plus point and that wasn't the first time this happened in the hydro, it's not somewhere I'll be in a hurry to visit in the future.

landmarker
13-Feb-06, 18:19
Sweaty you crack me up !
Thanks.

kani
13-Feb-06, 18:19
Well I nearly fell off my chair, good service in the hydro in Wick! When I last visited this shop (early December 2005), I struggled through the very heavy doors with my daughter in her buggy, located the freeview boxes, looked at the two that were on display saw there was no additional info for someone like myself who is not technically minded, waited for someone to offer assistance(I'm still waiting), but the two assistants were having a good old gossip and didn't offer any help whatsoever, so I left thinking well sod you I'll get all info I need off the internet and will buy it there as well if you're not bothered about my custom then I'll spend my money elsewhere. Oh and just so you know I had the same performance with the doors again even to be acknowledged would have been a plus point and that wasn't the first time this happened in the hydro, it's not somewhere I'll be in a hurry to visit in the future. I have never in my life been made to feel so small and insignificant.

SORRYThis wasn,t supposed to be posted twice my personal technician hubby not back from work yet he keeps me right.

prizebird
13-Feb-06, 18:27
i think sinclair family butcher in wick is really a friendly staff and your guaranted to get a apple or orange FREE!!!!!

scorrie
13-Feb-06, 18:48
Well I nearly fell off my chair, good service in the hydro in Wick! When I last visited this shop (early December 2005), I struggled through the very heavy doors with my daughter in her buggy, located the freeview boxes, looked at the two that were on display saw there was no additional info for someone like myself who is not technically minded, waited for someone to offer assistance(I'm still waiting), but the two assistants were having a good old gossip and didn't offer any help whatsoever, so I left thinking well sod you I'll get all info I need off the internet and will buy it there as well if you're not bothered about my custom then I'll spend my money elsewhere. Oh and just so you know I had the same performance with the doors again even to be acknowledged would have been a plus point and that wasn't the first time this happened in the hydro, it's not somewhere I'll be in a hurry to visit in the future.

Shockarooni indeed. I once purchased a £350 item from the Hydro and went to collect it at two minutes to five (nipping out from work at the only window I had). The door was already locked so I gave it a knock and explained I was there simply to collect the item I had bought earlier in the day. Despite the item sitting right behind the door, the manageress refused to let me collect it and said I would have to come back in the morning. Once I had done so I let them know that it would be a long time before they would keep me waiting again. They also charge £15 to deliver locally. I now buy from the Hydro online as they deliver free and are usually a few quid lower as well. Best of all no gossip or attitude problem.

LENSMAN
13-Feb-06, 19:13
Was in Graham Beggs at Christmas and was quoted £10 to deliver a fridge, you could order online and get it delivered by Argos for £4.

Saveman
13-Feb-06, 19:24
I nominate Houstons for their great sausage rolls and their service, because they give you them when you ask for them....and that's always a bonus.

cuddlepop
13-Feb-06, 19:33
mcallans in both wick and thurso are very good.Assistants helpful and friendly with no pressure to buy anything.
Infact everyone made us feel welcome even the dreaded coop....:grin:

DW
13-Feb-06, 20:21
So, I guess that's the hydro knackered
http://europa.eu.int/comm/energy_transport/atlas/assets/images/hydrodraw.gif

obiron
13-Feb-06, 20:29
It is true about the hydro they do seem to talk over you very rude. i like going into mackays in wick. the ones in thurso seem a bit snooty. am sure there lovely maybe i catch them on a bad day.

connieb19
13-Feb-06, 20:43
I think the service in the Hydro is awful..I wanted a cooker and rather than price a few in the brochure for me she told me to go to Argos..:eek:

melted_wellie
13-Feb-06, 21:00
I think the service in the Hydro is awful..I wanted a cooker and rather than price a few in the brochure for me she told me to go to Argos..:eek:i worked in the Hydro many years ago,and policy is to let the customer browse before pouncing on them,as this often puts people off too. If someone needs assistance,they usually tend to ask for it. I dont really agree with that policy though,i went to work for Curries.

emszxr
13-Feb-06, 21:08
marlene , do you still work for curries, i used to deliver there goods from cumbernauld to the north. i also know neil that works there.

i used to work in a shop where we had to acknowledge the customer and ask if they needed any assistance with in a minute of them walking in the shop. but if they didnt we just left them to browse. i do like to be ackowledged in shops, especially electrical and furniture shops where i could be spending lots of money. some shops have missed out on a sale from me if they dont even ackowledge me.

melted_wellie
13-Feb-06, 21:10
marlene , do you still work for curries, i used to deliver there goods from cumbernauld to the north. i also know neil that works there.

i used to work in a shop where we had to acknowledge the customer and ask if they needed any assistance with in a minute of them walking in the shop. but if they didnt we just left them to browse. i do like to be ackowledged in shops, especially electrical and furniture shops where i could be spending lots of money. some shops have missed out on a sale from me if they dont even ackowledge me.no i dont work there now,im going back a number of years ago

happy_83
13-Feb-06, 21:44
I 'nominate' Elizabeth’s in Thurso. I think there brilliant, always friendly, don't pressure but they give advice etc if you need.

Plus another shop that doesn't close for lunch :grin:

Alice in Blunderland
13-Feb-06, 22:32
I also think that Sinclair Butcher in Wick is very helpfull.My kids love it when they get a free apple or orange and he knows all the family genuine guy and lovely staff good old george I could take him home and call him grandad.

girnigoe
13-Feb-06, 23:56
I nominate Graham beggs. When we lived up there they were so helpful with regards to all the electrical equipment we brought.

OMG!!!! Is it the Graham Beggs in Wick you are talking about????? My mother in law went in the other week to get something which she had no clue about (she hasnt moved in to the 21st century!). The two behind the desk were too busy nattering to another customer - which had nothing to do with a sale - to even make eye contact with her. The person (who shall remain nameless) found and scanned the item then put it into a bag without even so much as checking with her if it was what she was looking for or asking if the price was okay (which incidently was sky high!). Demanded the money and didnt even say thank you. All the while this conversation went on with this person.

Thats not the first time I have had bad experiences with them. Now if you are going to spend a vast amount of money then their attitudes change...

Perhaps they work on commission!!

girnigoe
13-Feb-06, 23:58
On a nicer note though......

I definetly agree about Fairways. The man is an absolute darling!! Nothing is a trouble to him.

The service in there is by far the best in town!!

DW
14-Feb-06, 00:02
OMG!!!! Is it the Graham Beggs in Wick you are talking about?????
SNIP

Thats not the first time I have had bad experiences with them. Now if you are going to spend a vast amount of money then their attitudes change...

Perhaps they work on commission!!

That's G Begg's out of the reckoning then..[disgust]

DW
14-Feb-06, 00:06
I have found this nice graphic for the shops that have failed the test

http://news.illiniboard.com/images/coffin.gif

The Hydro & Beggs have it just now.
But there are so many plus posts; Betty is thrilled you are all being so NICE

Alice in Blunderland
14-Feb-06, 00:08
Talking of Graham Beggs my iron packed in middle of last year so I nipped down that afternoon and bought a new one.Service outstanding I was recommended a slightly dearer one but assured it was a good buy,purchased it went home and thought no more on my buy.A month or so later I was in an electrical shop in Inverness when I spotted my iron,thought Ill just check how much it is here.........I paid £49.99 for my iron in Graham Beggs....Itwas £19.99 in that shop exactly same code and everything the young guy I got to double check for me was in hoots at how robbed I had been.No wonder I got good service they were ripping the eyes out of me.Will I buy from that shop again ?I leave you to guess the answer.Sorry for the negative post but I did try hard not to respond.

ice box
14-Feb-06, 00:18
A few years ago my mum bought me a mobile phone for my birthday out of graham beggs and when i got it i open the box to see it but to my amazement there was no mobile in the box the charger and all that was there but no phone so we phone the shop to ask why there was no phone in the box and the lady said oh i think it could still be in the window on show do you want to come in a get it so i did and thats not the last of it when i went to get it all up and going it was blocked . So on the phone again and all they said was not our problem phone your user that there problem we just sell them so there was no sorry and the didnt even check the box to see if it was in it what a joke that was the last time i bought any thing out of there so phoned the users of the phone company and they could'nt be so helpful and with in an hour the phone was going they ask me were did i purchase the phone as the should of took it back and sent it too us but thats the staff of good old graham beggs .

angela5
14-Feb-06, 00:30
I went into graham beggs for a kettle once there was'nt much to choose from, the assistant told me i'd be better going to argos so i did just that.:confused

Alice in Blunderland
14-Feb-06, 00:32
Oh dear SweatyBetty I think Graham Beggs might be needing a bigger coffin sign he realy is getting it tonight

DW
14-Feb-06, 01:09
Oh dear SweatyBetty I think Graham Beggs might be needing a bigger coffin sign he realy is getting it tonight

Come on now boys and girls, we get the message about Beggs. This thread is meant to be about all the lovely shops that serve us so well so .......

No more mean stuff - RIGHT:D

wicker
14-Feb-06, 11:20
Personally i hate it when i walk in a shop and straight away someones asking if they can help me, if i want help i will ask for it.

Dont like going to mcallens, because im not a size 8 feel they look at me as if to say why you in here nothing will fit you.

I bought a cooker recently from hydro and although they arent supposed to help you lift it out to your car the lady did without me asking, very helpfull a big thumbs up to her from me.

badger
14-Feb-06, 11:31
Fairways definitely get my vote and I would go there just because they give such good service. I have never forgotten when I first visited up here before moving up, there was a blizzard for several days, most roads were impassable and I was staying in a B&B in Wick. The man in Fairways said come in any time to browse, never mind about buying. That and the Glass Factory saved us from hypothermia!

One little word about G Begg - one manager is great, always helpful, the other isn't. I won't say which but the difference is amazing.

Alice in Blunderland
14-Feb-06, 16:13
:roll: MacDonalds Bakery I always feel soooo happy when I leave that shop mmmmmm. I dont know if its the service or the big bag of cream buns but it does leave me with a nice feeling when I leave that shop:lol:

krieve
14-Feb-06, 17:36
:roll: MacDonalds Bakery I always feel soooo happy when I leave that shop mmmmmm. I dont know if its the service or the big bag of cream buns but it does leave me with a nice feeling when I leave that shop:lol:
maybe it's the smell of all those cakes yum yum

Venture
14-Feb-06, 23:18
I agree with the posts about Fairways. The gentleman goes out of his way to help. The staff in Reid's the Chemist are very helpful too. But my award would go to George Harper the butcher for his cheery manner and excellent service.

Fran
15-Feb-06, 00:07
:D alice in Blunderland....you can get an iron for only £5 in co-op and safeway shops.

Fran
15-Feb-06, 00:08
The nice man in Fairways used to be manager in the old shearers shop (now mackays), remember?

wickerinca
15-Feb-06, 16:10
I've been reading all the lovely things that you have been saying about Mr Adams.......the gentleman in Fairways. I went to school with his daughter and he is a really lovely man he is so helpful and kind. Wish he would set up in business doing Customer Appreciation Training for People Who Work With The Public!! Honestly.....you would think sometimes that we are only there to irritate them and to stop them spending the day chatting amongst themselves. Unfortunately I think that it is a worldwide disease...had to get the Manager called in a shop that I was in last week. I was prepared to walk away....had set my purchases down on the counter and had told the assistants that I was going elsewhere..............THEN I got a sarcastic "have a nice day" from one of the 'slip of a girl' person and that was it. Had the manager guy called. he wasn't much older than the assistants.....and I explained that there was a serious lack of respect for the clientele. I even got a wee round of applause from most of the other customers who had been standing about waiting with me!! This was not in some wayout fashion store....it was in the local liquor store which is newly open and is the flagship store!!
Sometimes you just have to stand up and be counted:D

Loafer
15-Feb-06, 20:11
The Kiln Store in Thurso has the best customer service by a long way..

The Loafer

brandy
15-Feb-06, 23:28
ahh but the differance between beggs and argos you usually do not have to wait 3-4 weeks for delivery.. as it often says on the argos website when you go to order anything big.

Bingobabe
15-Feb-06, 23:44
fairways has got to be the best the man is so polite and if he hasnt got something he will go out of his way to get it for you what a gentelman:lol: :o :lol: :o

Kenn
16-Feb-06, 01:18
I nominate "Buds and Blooms" and "MacKays" both in Thurso , always been greeted with a smile and good service when there personally and telephone orders in both cases dealt efficiently and promptly.

misty woman
16-Feb-06, 16:16
mcallans in both wick and thurso are very good.Assistants helpful and friendly with no pressure to buy anything.
Infact everyone made us feel welcome even the dreaded coop....:grin: Which shop are you talking about ,the wick coop or the thurso coop?

emszxr
16-Feb-06, 17:34
what and where is fairways?
sorry not been in wick in couple of years and a bit out of date with all the new shops

wickerinca
16-Feb-06, 18:02
what and where is fairways?
sorry not been in wick in couple of years and a bit out of date with all the new shops

Fairways has been in Wick for a long time but it is tucked away a little. It is at the bottom of Shore Lane.....the first shop in the Pedestrian Precinct as you go up from the water, on the righthand side.

Ali
17-Feb-06, 23:51
I bought all my household appliances from the Wick Hydro when I moved into my new flat, the staff were lovely and helpful, the girls even carried the goods out to my vehicle, even the cooker ! I shopped around the normal outlets - Currys had a washing machine with a "take me home today" sticker on it but they wouldnt sell me it as "its our last one" Doh !! Beggs weren't very helpful at all either.
The Hydro gets a thumbs up from me !! The staff are normal, chatty and offer all the help I needed. There's nothing worse than being pounced on in a shop by staff, the hydro girls help when you need it and advise you which appliance suits your needs rather than just selling you the most expensive one.
Oh and if you ever need a new suit go to Slaters in Inverness - The staff are really helpful and not pushy !
And there's free sweets !!! lol

Rheghead
19-Feb-06, 01:46
Those proprietors that provide good service to their customers have nothing to fear from asda and tescos, I met 2 tonight that fit the bill, good luck with your venture!!

angela5
19-Feb-06, 04:12

That nice feeling wears off when you've scoffed the cream cakes.. bloated and fat is the way i used to feel..glad to say my days of cream cakes are over.

connieb19
19-Feb-06, 10:25
That nice feeling wears off when you've scoffed the cream cakes.. bloated and fat is the way i used to feel..glad to say my days of cream cakes are over.mmmm, Macdonalds bakery is really good though..I think you'd find it hard to find a bakery to beat them. Especially the millionaire shortbread and the steak pies..oh yummy, I can see the diet go haywire today!!:Razz

Alice in Blunderland
19-Feb-06, 11:25
mmmm, Macdonalds bakery is really good though..I think you'd find it hard to find a bakery to beat them. Especially the millionaire shortbread and the steak pies..oh yummy, I can see the diet go haywire today!!:Razz
:lol: sorry Connie to put you off your diet but they are a good bakery. Another point to mention about them we recently had a coffee morning and issued a cookery book for fundraising they made very generous donations of baking to our coffee morning and cake vouchers for a prize draw they didnt need to,they offered as well as sponsoring our cook book. A big plus point for some of the local shops they will help local causes..

pulteney person
19-Feb-06, 11:57
I like Hydro Electric - I always get a great service there. I was looking for a personal CD player a couple of years ago and Hydro was the only shops that had a HALF decent one at a HALF decent price, could have done much better and cheaper online but wanted it there and then. It broke down after 6 months so I went back with it and they replaced it with a new one, without me having a receipt or anything.
Bought a new tumble drier from them and the girl took it out to the car herself and made sure it was secure.
Bought a new washing machine from them and it was £50.00 cheaper than the same one in Comet.
When I go in and see the staff chatting I just say, "Is there any chance of getting sevrice over here"? I do that in all shops and it usually works. If I don't get quick service I don't shop there.

MacAllans clothing is good too. Good staff who are always polite and eager to help you without hassling you when you are browsing.

Woolworths - MOST of the staff are great - apart from one or two who have faces like a wet weekend (people like that should NOT be working in the retail sector) If you get served by one of the nice staff they will go out of their way for you.

Somerfields - I find the staff there very good, always helpful and will try to get things for you if they don't have it in store.

DE shoes are friendly and helpful.
:grin:

DW
19-Feb-06, 13:08
I like Hydro Electric -
SNIP

When I go in and see the staff chatting I just say, "Is there any chance of getting sevrice over here"? I do that in all shops and it usually works. If I don't get quick service I don't shop there.
MacAllans clothing is good too.
Woolworths - MOST of the staff are great - apart from one or two who have faces like a wet weekend
Somerfields - I find the staff there very good,
DE shoes are friendly and helpful.
:grin:

Now there we are boys and girls - someone who read the title of the thread and took action .
Well done Pulteny Person!!!!!! Some good rep coming your way!

connieb19
19-Feb-06, 13:25
Oh what a glorious morning, I've just been out walk with the dog and cannot believe what a lovely day it is. Everybody in Wick seems to be happy today. I said hello to everyone i passed. i went into Somerfield on my way home and I would like to nominate Janet on the checkouts for the good service award. She is always friendly and polite from what I can see. All the other checkout girls were really friendly too, the only one that let them down was the checkout supervisor, she had a face like a wet weekend....Well done Somerfield staff!!!!:)

Saveman
19-Feb-06, 13:39
I have never had a problem with any shops in Caithness....apart from one!

A wee manny in Thurso that doesn't seem to want to sell me books from his large collection! He's still friendly, he just seems disappointed when you find a book you wanna buy! :D

pulteney person
19-Feb-06, 13:40
Ha ha, I wonder if that is the same checkout supervisor I am thinking of? I often wonder how that one got a job in that position!! :confused A course in dealing with the public or people skills wouldn't go amiss there. [smirk]

Another good shop in Wick is the Bridge Street Cafe. The staff there are always nice and the service is usually quick and always and apology if it is'nt . :Razz

krieve
19-Feb-06, 13:55
Hugo- helpful(especially when you are getting a present and you no nothing about fishing)
D.E - very friendly staff helpful and always nice wonder how many times they are up and down the stairs a day lol
harrolds butchers no faults

bagpuss
19-Feb-06, 23:01
My nominations are :
Cormack the jeweller in Wick. If you are looking for something quirky, unusual, good quality and original, the ladies take lots of time to make sure you get what you want. I needed to get a ring stretched, and they got it back for me within the week.

I also like Aurora in Thurso. I wanted a pair of silver earrings made to match a necklace and they helped me to design what i wanted and got it custom made.

The service in Cameo in Wick is also great- I really appreciate getting a watch battery changed while you wait.

Gunn's shoe shop is a place with really helpful staff who take time with customers.

Durrans art shop is a real treasure house- and the owner is really helpful

And I agree about Fairways. They are real stars- and they take time to change their window displays every week. Mr A and Mary both worked with Fred Shearers in the old days and thank goodness Fairways started up. tesco and Asda aren't likely to care about whether people can sleep in warm flannel sheets or source exactly the right curtains in the right size for your kitchen windows.

angela5
19-Feb-06, 23:11
Gunn's shoe shop is a place with really helpful staff who take time with customers.

I went in there once to look for a certain pair of trainers i asked if they had them in stock and the assistant looked at me like i was from another planet..i guess there not up to date with their shoes..

BRIE
19-Feb-06, 23:16
I also think that Sinclair Butcher in Wick is very helpfull.My kids love it when they get a free apple or orange and he knows all the family genuine guy and lovely staff good old george I could take him home and call him grandad.

i love the butchers too! All the staff are lovely, I always come out of there feeling better than i went in.:Razz

ice box
19-Feb-06, 23:22
[quote=krieve]Hugo- helpful(especially when you are getting a present and you no nothing about fishing)

Yes helpful but a bit expenses i get all my fishing stuff out of the glasgow angler.:grin:

krieve
19-Feb-06, 23:35
[quote=ice box Yes helpful but a bit expenses i get all my fishing stuff out of the glasgow angler.:grin:[/quote]

Maybe i will try that next time do they have a web site icebox what is it

bagpuss
20-Feb-06, 20:33
Try Gunn's again- I think you might find they've updated quite a lot recently- or perhaps it's older customers who appreciate being able to find comfy shoes!

LENSMAN
20-Feb-06, 21:40
Have to disagree with you about Hugo's prices, he's always very competitvely priced, just mention that you have seen it for a certain price and he will usually match or beat it if he can.
Plus you save on postage.

obiron
20-Feb-06, 21:45
hugo is great whenever i was in looking for something for my dad he knew what to get him. helps thou if your dad talks about what he wants.

Loafer
26-Feb-06, 20:06
Well here goes. Mrs Breadlady and my good self took a trip through to Wick yesterday and we found the service in all the shops brilliant. We started in the Co-op, all the staff were very friendly and although we didn't have our divi card, the woman at the till told us what to do, she was fantastic. On to Semi-chem and the lassie behind the till was the most pleaseant I have ever had the pleasure of being served by (mind you, she was hyper as it was her last day!!). Over to MaCallans and they were very pleaseant in there too, couldna do enough to help. Our last wee visit was to Somerfields and yet again, the service was first class, the lassie was chatty and we left Wick with smiles on our faces and empty pockets!!

Thurso? Why can't you be the same??

Mr & Mrs Loafer

badger
26-Feb-06, 20:32
I recommended JM Shearers in Wick on the Recommendations forum the other day - in that little road down to the river. The outside is not very attractive (wish they'd mend the name) and the first thing you see on the door is a notice showing the minimum they'll take on credit cards, which isn't very welcoming, but once you get upstairs the staff are fantastic. So friendly and can't do enough for you. They have an excellent variety of stock and I would go out of my way to shop there.

Naefearjustbeer
27-Feb-06, 04:05
Bews the butchers best meat and good service
Alacam very hepful prices ok
Graham Beggs terrible after sales service. He wont get a penny out of me ever again, hopefully argos will close him down.
Hydro never had any problems exept for having to wait a while for delivery
J A Mackays grocers excellent little shop.
Caithness Home furnishers, prices ok and always happy to deal with them
Riverside garage, reasonable prices and good to deal with always happy with the work done.
Somerfields- crap in general.
Co-op ok just a bit cramped.
Looking forward to the new shops opening up, but I will continue to frequent the small local shops that have served me well over the years.