PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Airways Fares

JWM
17-Feb-09, 10:49
Isn't it great that the Scottish Parliment and the EU helping us out with the Air Discount Scheme so that travelling can be that bit easier for us up north.

I travel to Aberdeen a lot so it was really benificial for me but Eastern Airways fares are now dearer with the ADS than they ever were before it started.

I hate giving them money when i could fly to sunny spain for the same price however i just cant handle the 4-5 hour drive.

Is it just me or does everyone else feel the same????

Alice in Blunderland
17-Feb-09, 11:45
I thought the airfares to Aberdeen had come down a bit just shows how wrong you can be. :roll:

We were hoping to fly Weesparkle up and down from Uni in Aberdeen regularly using the discount but if they are still dear then it wont be viable. I must go and look into this one. [disgust]

It seems so wrong you can fly abroad cheaper. This doesnt encourage people to travel here.

Blondie
17-Feb-09, 12:00
Alice, I went down a couple of weeks ago. It was around £175 return. I got around £50 off using the ADS card. I think it was around £125 return that I paid. That was a cheap fare. If you want the changeable ticket, I think its around double that.

Alice in Blunderland
17-Feb-09, 12:03
All I can say to that is she had better hurry up and pass her driving test Im cheaper to buy her a car. :eek:

JWM
17-Feb-09, 12:41
Yeah i need the changable ticket now because like a lot of people up here i work offshore and sometimes get little or no notice.

Its very rare if i can a ticket for less than £170 return now and thats with the ADS.

Must be the dearest domestic flight around as it is only 25-30 mins long.

Can anyone find a dearer flight for the time in air because i cant????

Kevin Milkins
17-Feb-09, 12:42
Having Flybe coming to Wick has opened up better links South but Aberdeen isn't one of them.:confused

Thumper
17-Feb-09, 14:08
It does seem that the Aberdeen flight is one of, if not the most expensive flights there are!I got two returns Wick to Edinburgh for £188 and thats a lot more time in the air than Wick to Aberdeen,but I guess its more a case of there IS only one provider and can charge what they like because of it x

Penelope Pitstop
17-Feb-09, 16:34
Last week paid £137 return to Aberdeen with the ADS.

I thought that wasn't too back considering it would have cost £100 in fuel and it saved about 10 hours driving.......

PS - Only booked the flight the afternoon before went.

dirdyweeker
17-Feb-09, 17:55
A month ago I paid just over £100 return to Aberdeen with my discount.
I felt compared to the cost of the petrol and travelling time by road that it was a fair deal.
I was longer travelling in from the airport in Aberdeen to my accommodation then I was flying!

JWM
17-Feb-09, 18:09
Adults Fare202.00 Taxes and charges42.50 ADS Discount(80.80) Passengers1 Totals163.70 Total to Pay 163.70 GBP

This is the cheapest fare i could get for travelling down next wednesday.
Granted there may be cheaper fares somewhere but i have yet to find them. It can be hard going sometimes especially when you are using it 1-2 times a month.
I know some people will be thinking well stop using it then but my problem is that you dont seem to get the same value for money as you would with other airlines.
For example Flybe is roughly around the £110-£130 bracket (without ADS card) for a return flight to Edinburgh which is in the air alot longer than the Aberdeen flight.

Murdina Bug
17-Feb-09, 18:15
I agree that the air fares are excessive and the only way to get a good discount is to book well in advance. I think it is worth pointing out though that the Wick to Aberdeen flights are run by Eastern Airways which is a much smaller concern than Flybe which runs the Wick to Edinburgh flights. It is a bit unfair to make a straight comparison between them. By the way, for those that don't know, ADS gives you 40% off the basic fare, then standard taxes etc are added on.

Amy-Winehouse
17-Feb-09, 19:45
IF you book your flights 3-4 weeks in advance it is cheaper, for eg. I got a return to Aberdoom for £92 on the 25th of February & that is a return fare.

However last week I had to change my return ticket, which I have done in the past, usually with no problem BUT not this time. The girl on the phone said I couldnt upgrade due it being a non changeable ticket!! So it cost another £87 on top of the £101 return fare Id already paid- I thought Eastern were trying to attract trade in the North??

Also do you know this is the only flight that you arnt allowed alcohol on???:eek: For £163.70 Id be expecting at least a pint & a dram

H
17-Feb-09, 20:04
Even better - try booking 28 days in advance and using the AD card - you would not believe how cheap the ticket is! Far better than driving down.

Fran
18-Feb-09, 03:17
Flying Inverness to Manchester is about £200 yet i can fly to Palma for £27. something wrong somewhere!!!

Kevin Milkins
18-Feb-09, 03:34
Flying Inverness to Manchester is about £200 yet i can fly to Palma for £27. something wrong somewhere!!!

Hi Fran

I just had a look on the flybe sight and you can get a return from Wick to Manchester using the ADS scheme for £130-00.

Departing
Thu 19 Mar 2009
Depart 13:05 Arrive 19:00
Wick (WIC) to Manchester (MAN)
FareGBP33.29Taxes and ChargesGBP29.30SeatsGBPBagsGBP

Coming back
Thu 26 Mar 2009
Depart 08:45 Arrive 12:45
Manchester (MAN) to Wick (WIC)
FareGBP33.29Taxes and ChargesGBP34.30SeatsGBPBagsGBP

Insurance (inc. IPT tax)GBPCredit Card SupplementGBPDiscount funded by LoganairGBP

Total so far

( GBP 130.18)

Fran
18-Feb-09, 03:43
Thanks for that Kevin. I'm not going to Manchester but a friend is. What are you doing up at this time of day, not like you?!

Kevin Milkins
18-Feb-09, 03:46
Thanks for that Kevin. I'm not going to Manchester but a friend is. What are you doing up at this time of day, not like you?!

As I posted on another thread I have not long came in from walking Casper and I had a fair sweat on.

I have had a shower ,but just can't seem to cool down, I may be having a hot flush.:lol:

Alice in Blunderland
18-Feb-09, 07:29
mmmm MENopause possibly :lol: :lol: :lol: