PDA

View Full Version : Bird Flu - Holidaying Abroad

Venture
13-Feb-06, 10:02
What does everyone think about the Bird Flu situation regards holidaying abroad. Saw from the news yesterday that now Italy, Greece, Albania and Slovenia have all had confirmed cases of bird flu in wild swans tested from these countries. Just my luck as Ive just booked a holiday in Greece. By the time July comes maybe things will be sorted out. I hope......

Murdina Bug
13-Feb-06, 11:31
I really don't think you have a problem, unless you are planning cuddling all the wild birds you meet! The flu HAS NOT mutated, i.e. it is not passed from human to human - only from bird (or items in close association with them) to human. So, just take usual hygiene precautions - don't pet strays and wash your hands before eating etc and don't worry about it. Of course nobody is forcing you to go to these areas, you could always go somewhere 'safe' - I don't believe there have been any reports in say, Iceland!

unicorn
13-Feb-06, 11:51
I am still going to Turkey regardless and was there during first outbreak you just have to be sensible and I personally have never had close contact to birds abroad.