PDA

View Full Version : Why has a post been locked/closed?

Fran
17-Feb-09, 04:00
Why has the post been locked on the subject of Jade Goody, after all, it is in the public news and in all the newspapers?

Moira
17-Feb-09, 04:12
It is always the original poster's privilege to close a thread.

Should we change the rules?

DM07
17-Feb-09, 04:21
thinking of Jade and her family, you never know whats round corner.

teenybash
17-Feb-09, 12:39
Jade is to have her fairytale wedding on Sunday wearing her gown gifted from Harrods. Good luck to her.............I hope she has a perfect day.

ShelleyCowie
17-Feb-09, 12:48
Jade is to have her fairytale wedding on Sunday wearing her gown gifted from Harrods. Good luck to her.............I hope she has a perfect day.

Same here! All the best to her! :)

abc123
17-Feb-09, 12:54
Jade is to have her fairytale wedding on Sunday wearing her gown gifted from Harrods.

Funny that - I never saw my next door neighbour get anything free from Harrods when she was terminally ill with cancer.

The next we'll no doubt get in this sorry saga is another "People's Princess" funeral.

ShelleyCowie
17-Feb-09, 12:57
Funny that - I never saw my next door neighbour get anything free from Harrods when she was terminally ill with cancer.

The next we'll no doubt get in this sorry saga is another "People's Princess" funeral.

Thats just too far! :eek:

abc123
17-Feb-09, 12:59

You're quite right - another one of those media generated grief sessions would be just taking it all too far.

ShelleyCowie
17-Feb-09, 13:02
You're quite right - another one of those media generated grief sessions would be just taking it all too far.

Take it you have no consideration then. :roll:

I know alot of people who has had cancer in my family and has not made it. Very few has! So i know the position that Jade is in with her family. If she wants her voice heard then she can! She has the power to do it!

abc123
17-Feb-09, 13:07
She has the power to do it!

Exactly, it's all about the power to manipulate the media. My neighbour, your family, they are all the 'unpeople' as John Pilger once called them. It's the same thing as on the same day we have a news story of a Koala Bear rescued from an Australian bush fire, several hundred Asian refugees die after the raft they were fleeing in capsized. We don't hear about them though as they are also the 'unpeople'.

If we all directed our interest and efforts in the right area then we would have the right balance.

Remember, people who stand for nothing, fall for everything.

ShelleyCowie
17-Feb-09, 13:29
Exactly, it's all about the power to manipulate the media. My neighbour, your family, they are all the 'unpeople' as John Pilger once called them. It's the same thing as on the same day we have a news story of a Koala Bear rescued from an Australian bush fire, several hundred Asian refugees die after the raft they were fleeing in capsized. We don't hear about them though as they are also the 'unpeople'.

If we all directed our interest and efforts in the right area then we would have the right balance.

Remember, people who stand for nothing, fall for everything.

This has nothing to do with the bush fire though. This is to do with a woman that was battling cancer and it seems her battle is almost over.

Yes she has power, because she is a celebrity!

Jade has chosen that she wants people to hear her story. Thats her personal choice. Do you think every cancer patient would want their story heard?

abc123
17-Feb-09, 13:31
TDo you think every cancer patient would want their story heard?

No, they have more dignity than that.

ShelleyCowie
17-Feb-09, 13:38
No, they have more dignity than that.

So every person that has their story heard has no "dignity"! Dont think so! Have you never read a story in a magazine about cancer patients?

What about if it was any other illness that could potentially bring someone to their death, if they wanted that heard then do they have dignity? :roll:

abc123
17-Feb-09, 13:41
You just don't get it.

The public want, what the public get.

Banality and gullibility is a greater threat to our society that any illness, disease, economic crisis or terrorist.

ShelleyCowie
17-Feb-09, 13:43
You just don't get it.

The public want, what the public get.

Banality and gullibility is a greater threat to our society that any illness, disease, economic crisis or terrorist.

What dont i get..please do enlighten me!

abc123
17-Feb-09, 13:54
I refer the Honourable Lady/Gentleman to my previous replies.

ShelleyCowie
17-Feb-09, 13:55
I refer the Honourable Lady/Gentleman to my previous replies.

Sorry i am still lost! :confused

abc123
17-Feb-09, 13:58
Sorry i am still lost! :confused

Q.E.D.

Fin.

ShelleyCowie
17-Feb-09, 14:04
Q.E.D.

Fin.

Ok i must be really slow because that makes no sense to me! Are you refering to this thread at all?!

Fluff
17-Feb-09, 14:18
Q.E.D. is an abbreviation of the Latin phrase (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Latin_phrases_%28full%29) quod erat demonstrandum, which literally means "that which was to be demonstrated". The phrase is written in its abbreviated form at the end of a mathematical proof (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_proof) or philosophical (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy) argument (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_argument), to signify that the last statement deduced was the one to be demonstrated, so the proof is complete. *from wikipedia

fin = finished

ShelleyCowie
17-Feb-09, 14:21
Q.E.D. is an abbreviation of the Latin phrase (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Latin_phrases_%28full%29) quod erat demonstrandum, which literally means "that which was to be demonstrated". The phrase is written in its abbreviated form at the end of a mathematical proof (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_proof) or philosophical (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy) argument (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_argument), to signify that the last statement deduced was the one to be demonstrated, so the proof is complete. *from wikipedia

fin = finished

Thanks for the explanation! I thought i was being thick but to be honest now i realise i would never have known that! :roll:

To be honest i still really dont get what he/she was getting at!

binbob
17-Feb-09, 14:21

i totally agree ,shelley..methinks there is another ONE in our midst.has already sabotaged another post of mine.....:roll:

Fluff
17-Feb-09, 14:25
I think what he means is, Jade is famous. She is now dying, which is a very sad thing, but what about all the other people who are dying of cancer etc..? You don't see Jane Doe who has cancer getting a free wedding dress from Harrods. Because she is famous, the public want to see a fairy tale, a miracle or for her a have a wedding where she is well etc.. But what about all those who do not make it that far?
I think what he is getting is at, lets not forget about everyone else who has something like cancer.

ShelleyCowie
17-Feb-09, 14:25
i totally agree ,shelley..methinks there is another ONE in our midst.has already sabotaged another post of mine.....:roll:

Some people, obviously this person does not get what we are getting at Binbob! ;)

To sabotage another post of yours...maybe boredom?!

binbob
17-Feb-09, 14:39
Ii lost my father to lung cancer and have known/lost other folk i have known too.they were not famous,but well loved/missed by their families.they will never be forgotten...and i think jade ..so young...deserves everything possible.
she will not be forgotten either,especially by her wee lads and her close family.
there are lots of people in this situation..we all know that......so ABC123.....please do not be so terribly heartless.;)

butterfly
17-Feb-09, 14:58
there are lots of people in this situation..we all know that......so ABC123.....please do not be so terribly heartless.;)

i second that binbob.people have sympathy for jade because she is in the public eye.there is no need for heartless comments.:(i

Penelope Pitstop
17-Feb-09, 15:56
Ii lost my father to lung cancer and have known/lost other folk i have known too.they were not famous,but well loved/missed by their families.they will never be forgotten...and i think jade ..so young...deserves everything possible.
she will not be forgotten either,especially by her wee lads and her close family.

Well said Binbob:) I hope she can make the most of the precious little time she has left.

Personally I can only applaud her for taking cervical cancer to the front page of newspapers and news headlines.

Hopefully by making folk like you and me more aware of this type of cancer she can help cut the number of unnecessary deaths by having a simple smear test. It has been reported that the "take up" on the tests has greatly increased since Jade's plight has been highlighted - this can only be a good thing.

As is often thought this is not just an older woman's concern. It can even strike in teenagers.

A a girl at my work a number of years ago, had a smear test come back with "abnormal" cells that she had to get treatment for....she was only 18 at the time:~(

ShelleyCowie
17-Feb-09, 16:28
Reading about Jade has actually made me more aware! I got a letter from the docs saying i had to go get a smear test. I have been putting it off for a while now but now i am making an appointment dispite how much i really dont want to go!

sandyr
17-Feb-09, 16:29
Pls don't jump on me but...

With what I am reading and some people are trying to say in some posts, is that this is perhaps one big publicity stunt...Yes the woman is sick as my parents ,and other family members over the years died of this awful disease, but she has a Publicist,(anyone you knew had a paid publicist?) and apparently earns lots of money for her story. And Harrods gives her a dress/ great publicity..
The media have 'ratings' and this is one of these times. ( I know of such things as I worked in an associated field). These issues are discussed on other sites and there is a media theory and this is not my making....'If it bleeds it leads'... and the lead story sells the advertising.
Paid advertising is really low just now as we are all in a recession, so these 'reality shows' are very popular. OK so the money goes to her kids.....and there is the publicity towards diseases, but I think people get so personally involved in this type of think that we start to live it.
I see someone echoed my words in that no one else got a dress from Harrods!
ABC123 does have valid points. And yes this woman has cancer and is quite ill and she has children, but she is well known and it sells papers and television and the more people tune in and paper circulation goes up, the more that can be charged for an advert or 30 second spot on TV.
And yes it is very sad! ABC123 has it right...Balance!

Penelope Pitstop
17-Feb-09, 16:42
Pls don't jump on me but...

With what I am reading and some people are trying to say in some posts, is that this is perhaps one big publicity stunt...Yes the woman is sick as my parents ,and other family members over the years died of this awful disease, but she has a Publicist,(anyone you knew had a paid publicist?) and apparently earns lots of money for her story. And Harrods gives her a dress/ great publicity..
The media have 'ratings' and this is one of these times. ( I know of such things as I worked in an associated field). These issues are discussed on other sites and there is a media theory and this is not my making....'If it bleeds it leads'... and the lead story sells the advertising.
Paid advertising is really low just now as we are all in a recession, so these 'reality shows' are very popular. OK so the money goes to her kids.....and there is the publicity towards diseases, but I think people get so personally involved in this type of think that we start to live it.
I see someone echoed my words in that no one else got a dress from Harrods!
ABC123 does have valid points. And yes this woman has cancer and is quite ill and she has children, but she is well known and it sells papers and television and the more people tune in and paper circulation goes up, the more that can be charged for an advert or 30 second spot on TV.
And yes it is very sad! ABC123 has it right...Balance!

I can see where you are coming from, but to be fair she did have the publicist long before she had the cancer - she didn't get a publicist after she got cancer.:confused She also had started the reality TV stuff long before the cancer.

She's not "quite ill" she has terminal cancer and only weeks to live.

Mister Squiggle
17-Feb-09, 16:46
Frankly, the whole situation is pitiful and macabre. Turn the blinking cameras off and let her die in peace. Or better still, stop buying the papers/mags and watching the whole gruesome sideshow trundle towards its awful end.
And as for "providing for her boys"? What a load of misguided and manipulative tosh - I'd argue some quiet, dignified and private months with their mother would be of more value to them in the long run that any money her vampire-publicist can wangle out of the press.
Not many of us can leave piles of money for our children, nor would we possibly make this a priority. Give me 6 months to live? I can tell you now, I'd be spending every available second with my little darlings whispering all the thing I won't get a chance to say later, rather that having a pack of vultures with cameras follow me around, wringing out the last few quid.
It's revolting.

MadPict
17-Feb-09, 16:57
Having had cancer affect both my parents, an in-law and some close friends, I am sad to hear of her diagnosis but I wonder about the whole 'dying in the pub£ic spot£ight' aspect.
Seeing her 'engagement' photos splashed over nearly every paper today I fear that people will rapidly suffer 'Goody Fatigue' and start to criticise her motives.

On the other hand, compare it to the story of Jane Tomlinson who raised £1.75 million for charity, and certainly died with a bit more dignity in my opinion.
http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/cancerresearch/Cancer-sufferer-who-raised-175m.3323884.jp

binbob
17-Feb-09, 17:09
Having had cancer affect both my parents, an in-law and some close friends, I am sad to hear of her diagnosis but I wonder about the whole 'dying in the pub£ic spot£ight' aspect.
Seeing her 'engagement' photos splashed over nearly every paper today I fear that people will rapidly suffer 'Goody Fatigue' and start to criticise her motives.

On the other hand, compare it to the story of Jane Tomlinson who raised £1.75 million for charity, and certainly died with a bit more dignity in my opinion.
http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/cancerresearch/Cancer-sufferer-who-raised-175m.3323884.jp

no one could do anything other than applaud jane tomlinson and her family.she was wonderful,and to all intents and purposes did live/die in the public eye.her situation was different[diff. cancer/lived longer..but not long enough,sadly.]

jade is a reality tv star...that is what some [lots] folk like to see/follow.
it is really each to their own...i think jade s legacy to women will be ,not money,but perhaps LIFE.
so many women,of all age/class are now going to get checked...and that can only do good.
i will not be saying any more on jade..bless her.

teenybash
17-Feb-09, 17:41
After reading all the posts I can see the validity in all of them and it is apparent Jane Goody has touched our emotions, one way or another.
This young woman is fighting her battles the only way she knows how and is it right she should be belittled for this?
She is fighting for her life, no matter how long or short it will be and she is fighting for her boys, to give them the education and upbringing she never had...is she wrong for doing that?
She fights to highlight the importance, especially for young women to have their smear tests done, leaving their emarrassment at the door when they enter the clinic....is that wrong?
By allowing her illness and impending death to be publicised she is potentially showing the world what it is like to die from a cancer that might well have been halted and allowing others who have not had the trauma of seeing a loved one die from this awful disease......in her own way she is educating us all.
Her grim childhood and upbringing has probably played a part in her decision to go public and feel at last, though dying, has found the love and support she never knew......is that wrong?
And when Jane Goody has gone to a place of peace, no doubt a film will be made of her life and we will all watch it and think.

purplelady
17-Feb-09, 18:20

ho come that is so unfair poor girl yes she has been given the wedding dress but for goodness sake the poor girl is drying, I am not a fan by any means but I feel for her and her family, your neihbour never got a dress donated true but may well have done had it been made a public interest story leave the poor girl alone let her have her fairytail wedding and have few weeks of happiness before she dies, she does not have long please just leave her alone .

abc123
17-Feb-09, 18:26
And when Jane Goody has gone to a place of peace, no doubt a film will be made of her life and we will all watch it and think.

In the name of the wee man ! Is there no end to how gullible some people can be.

ShelleyCowie
17-Feb-09, 18:34
In the name of the wee man ! Is there no end to how gullible some people can be.

.......................[evil]

purplelady
17-Feb-09, 18:47
.......................[evil]
try not to let small minded poeple like that get to you hun we know what that poor girl is doing what she is doing we are both mums and i dare say if we were in her situation and could we would do the same for our kids as mums we have to do things we may not do in normal circumstances don't you agree xxxxxxx

teenybash
17-Feb-09, 18:50

Where are you coming from......?
Why try to paddle up stream as you travel through life? All you end up with is exhaustion going no where fast.[disgust]

ShelleyCowie
17-Feb-09, 18:53
try not to let small minded poeple like that get to you hun we know what that poor girl is doing what she is doing we are both mums and i dare say if we were in her situation and could we would do the same for our kids as mums we have to do things we may not do in normal circumstances don't you agree xxxxxxx

Yeah i know it just makes me mad that people can have so little consideration!

abc123
17-Feb-09, 18:54
Where are you coming from......?
Why try to paddle up stream as you travel through life? All you end up with is exhaustion going no where fast.[disgust]

Drifting down stream you float with the effluent. Paddling upstream you eventually reach clean water.

Thumper
17-Feb-09, 18:56
I can understand why she is doing it,she wants to make sure that there is plenty of money left behind for her childrens future,however I can also understand why some would not agree with her selling her "death story" and getting free things because she is famous.If someone who had no "celebrity status" sold a story to the press for whatever reason they wouldnt get quite so much attention,but there would be plenty of people who would complain they had sold their story also,so I think its a case of live and let live(although that may not be the best way to put it in jades situation) and if people want to read this sort of thing thats fine,if not,just like on here pass the story by,we as a society have far too much to say about others misfortune and have become very quick to judge others,perhaps we should all walk a mile in their shoes before passing comment on how right or wrong they are x

purplelady
17-Feb-09, 19:00
I can understand why she is doing it,she wants to make sure that there is plenty of money left behind for her childrens future,however I can also understand why some would not agree with her selling her "death story" and getting free things because she is famous.If someone who had no "celebrity status" sold a story to the press for whatever reason they wouldnt get quite so much attention,but there would be plenty of people who would complain they had sold their story also,so I think its a case of live and let live(although that may not be the best way to put it in jades situation) and if people want to read this sort of thing thats fine,if not,just like on here pass the story by,we as a society have far too much to say about others misfortune and have become very quick to judge others,perhaps we should all walk a mile in their shoes before passing comment on how right or wrong they are xI understand where you are coming from but you read everyday stories in mags every week and do we complain no they get paid for them maybe not on the scale Jade is getting paid but they do non the less, i remeber a few yrs ago following a story of a woman in a mag that was having a baby and she had cancer I think and she was being paid for it noone jumped up and down about that x

Thumper
17-Feb-09, 19:08
I understand where you are coming from but you read everyday stories in mags every week and do we complain no they get paid for them maybe not on the scale Jade is getting paid but they do non the less, i remeber a few yrs ago following a story of a woman in a mag that was having a baby and she had cancer I think and she was being paid for it noone jumped up and down about that x

I am sorry i didnt make myself clear(I seem to have developed a bad habit for that recently) I am all for Jade selling her story,if it means that her kids will have some inheritance well I say go for it.Fact is she cant do right in some eyes and I guess a lot of us would do exactly the same in her shoes if we could.My point was that even if she wasnt famous and sold her story to make a small amount to leave her children(although would many read a story about somebody who wasnt famous?)there would be people who would disagree with that choice,as has been said on here far too ofter recently...damned if they do,damned if they dont x

purplelady
17-Feb-09, 19:14
I am sorry i didnt make myself clear(I seem to have developed a bad habit for that recently) I am all for Jade selling her story,if it means that her kids will have some inheritance well I say go for it.Fact is she cant do right in some eyes and I guess a lot of us would do exactly the same in her shoes if we could.My point was that even if she wasnt famous and sold her story to make a small amount to leave her children(although would many read a story about somebody who wasnt famous?)there would be people who would disagree with that choice,as has been said on here far too ofter recently...damned if they do,damned if they dont x
sooz am with you now like have said am not a big jade fan but she is doing what she thinks is rite for her two little boys in the only way she knows poor kid she is the same age as my daughther and I dread to think what i would do if it was her as MOTHER i FEEL FOR HER AND HER POOR BOYS X

sandyr
17-Feb-09, 19:15
Nice of you to join us/ Wondered where you were/ luv your foot tappin image..and livin' in a burrow!!!!
So much fun isn't it!!

Thumper
17-Feb-09, 19:23
Nice of you to join us/ Wondered where you were/ luv your foot tappin image..and livin' in a burrow!!!!
So much fun isn't it!!

Aww thank you sandyr,nice to know I have been missed :Dx

sweetpea
17-Feb-09, 21:17
There's supposed to be 482 Facebook pages dedicated to her dying and a group called 'Imminenet Death of Jade Goody' sickos:eek:

purplelady
17-Feb-09, 21:22
she is actually writing her own blog on a site called twitters I think it is called so sad but she is so so brave xxxxxs

sids
17-Feb-09, 22:38
she is actually writing her own blog on a site called twitters I think it is called so sad but she is so so brave xxxxxs

I keep hearing about this twitter! Have you got a link?

Liz
17-Feb-09, 23:16

These are fakes and in very poor taste.

Liz
17-Feb-09, 23:21
Drifting down stream you float with the effluent. Paddling upstream you eventually reach clean water.

Well there is a lot of effluence emanating from the org thanks to certain orgers!

teenybash
17-Feb-09, 23:57

You really are a bit of a comedian...........I had a real laugh when I read your reply, picturing you paddling furiously up stream in the hope you would eventually come to clean water................but oh what a mess you were in..and there you were covered in gunk and all that clean water you had worked so hard to reach, soon was contaminated by your own sweet self.[lol]