PDA

View Full Version : The video in Caithness Horizons

abc123
16-Feb-09, 19:55
Visited Caithness Horizons for the first time today.

The video in the theatre is quite good, but completely spoiled by a voiceover that has a central Scotland accent.

What was wrong with having a Caithness accent to voiceover - we've got plenty excellent public speakers.

If you visit the St Magnus Centre in Kirkwall, they have an excellent video of the history of the islands and the cathedral which is voiced over by an Orcadian (one of the cathedral congregation I think) and not only is it professional and clear to understand, but shows that the people of the area actually have pride in their own culture rather than farm it out and make it appear like just another corporate video.

A9RUNNER
16-Feb-09, 20:07
You have a good point, I had a look around the place the other day and was quite impressed with displays, However I didn't have time to watch the film so vowed to go back another day to see it. I still plan to do this when I get a moment but I agree it would be great to have a Caithness accent narrating the film.

piratelassie
17-Feb-09, 01:44
would people understand the Caithness accent...Iv'e always lived here and sometimes I cant understand it. :confused

joxville
17-Feb-09, 01:56

The video in the theatre is quite good, but completely spoiled by a voiceover that has a central Scotland accent.

What was wrong with having a Caithness accent to voiceover - we've got plenty excellent public speakers.

If you visit the St Magnus Centre in Kirkwall, they have an excellent video of the history of the islands and the cathedral which is voiced over by an Orcadian (one of the cathedral congregation I think) and not only is it professional and clear to understand, but shows that the people of the area actually have pride in their own culture rather than farm it out and make it appear like just another corporate video.

If it's original accents you're after then shouldn't a Norse/Scandinavian voice the St. Magnus video? ;)

abc123
17-Feb-09, 02:01
If it's original accents you're after then shouldn't a Norse/Scandinavian voice the St. Magnus video? ;)

Who said anything about 'original' - if we want 'original' then we need Neolithic or probably Mesolithic.

'Contemporary' and 'regionally relevant' is what's needed.

abc123
17-Feb-09, 02:03
would people understand the Caithness accent.

Oh jeepers ! There's the root of the problem.....'we are not worthy, please Central Scotland safe us from ourselves.'

Stand up, and speak up, for your heritage or it will be erased by some other.

Cattach
17-Feb-09, 12:18

The video in the Theatre is not just quite good but superb. I am not a great fan of the Caithness Horizons concept or its use for Thurso or Caithness folk but it building and workmanship is exccellent. As for the voice over I found it very easy to follow and very easy on the ear. For me that is what is imporant.

Quite honestly there is a lot of 'you know what' spoken about the local accent and dialect. OK to preserve but you can take it too far - Like Iain Sutherlands Caithness/Wick speech which is so accentualed that it hardly bears any relationship to anything spoken in the county in the last 100 years or more .

abc123
17-Feb-09, 21:47
The video in the Theatre is not just quite good but superb.

It is indeed - beautifully filmed.

The centre itself is professionally done, but does it really have anything more in that what was kicking around before - stuffed birds, Dick's collection, and the Skinnet and Ulbster stones ?

rich
17-Feb-09, 22:55
We could combine mime with subtitles where necessary.
I would suggest that if any speech or commentary be given it should be given in French.
That way, as part of the Francophony, we snaffle a trip to Paris or to Bordeaux where we exchange a sack of neeps for a few dozen crates of decent claret.

sandyr
17-Feb-09, 23:10
Interesting about language.
Don't know if anyone ever saw Finding Neverland, the story of Peter Pan and it's Scottish Novelist Founder J.M. Barrie.. When it was critiqued in the media there were complaints about the fake Scottish Accent......I found it rather nice, soft, and realistic. Then I realized that people in my neck of the woods relate the Glasgow accent to a true Scottish one. Just another thought.................

wifie
17-Feb-09, 23:26

Gosh ABC if you were the wee mannie in the bunnet then we were there at the same time!

I thought the video was very good and I don't mind Sally Magnusson's voice (I think it was she). TBH I felt she was kinda appropriate given our Norse connections! A Caithness accent would have been nice tho and as to understanding it well I think folk are thinking dialect - now that might be a bit difficult for the visitors!

abc123
17-Feb-09, 23:32
Gosh ABC if you were the wee mannie in the bunnet then we were there at the same time!

Ah, you've seen through one of my many disguises. (wizna me)

I thought the video was very good and I don't mind Sally Magnusson's voice (I think it was she).

I didn't realise it was her voice - anyway, she was born in Glasgow, not Iceland.

golach
17-Feb-09, 23:39

abc123
if the commentary was done by this Kaitness mannie, not many would understand a word, not that I am decrying this man I love his accent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-2ARXaLz1M

abc123
17-Feb-09, 23:49
abc123
if the commentary was done by this Kaitness mannie, not many would understand a word, not that I am decrying this man I love his accent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-2ARXaLz1M

Excellent. Seriously, this IS the sort of thing that should be in Caithness Horizons - it's living, it's real, it's not been through the corporate packaging mill.

I see the big difference between Caithness Horizons and the Wick Heritage Centre is that the former packages up a safe product that you could get anywhere, whereas the latter is much more engaging and is about Caithness people wanting to record the real Caithness.

To its credit, I think the Castle of Mey has done well by having local former staff of the Queen Mother doing the tours - to heck with accents, these people have the stories because they were there.

We need more passion.

golach
17-Feb-09, 23:52
Excellent. Seriously, this IS the sort of thing that should be in Caithness Horizons - it's living, it's real, it's not been through the corporate packaging mill. .

But surely the Caithness Horizons is meant to cater to Kaitness born and visitors alike, so a softer Scottish accent caters to many and will be more understandable to all and not just the few.