PDA

View Full Version : Banks banks banks grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

squidge
16-Feb-09, 13:00
Having been fighting with our bank (HBOS) for the last few months because of their ridiculous and atrocious bank charges for going fifty pounds over our overdraft in September we finally decide to change our bank account and have started to move payments in and out of an account (RBS) we have had for a few months but really havent used much. Last week the first of some payments went into the account and on Friday at 9 am I checked the cash machine to check they were there and they were. Having met the Bruce for lunch we decided to take out some of this money and I went to the same cash machine at 12.30 and put my card in, typed in the pin number and the machine promptly retained my card!!!!

When we phoned the bank we were told that we had cancelled the card at 12.11pm - which we hadnt done. The lady was not able to offer us an explanation for this but ordered us a new card and told us to go to the branch with some ID and they would let us have some money. We did this at about 4pm when we were told that the £200 in the account had been withdrawn over the counter at the same time as the card had been cancelled!!!!

Needless to say we were FURIOUS!!!!! The bank couldnt tell us where it was withdrawn although they did check the inverness branches and it wasnt there. They did ok an overdraft so we could get our money but warned us that if it was us that had withdrawn the money we would have to pay it back. it wasnt!!!!

Today they have phoned to tell us that it was withdrawn in an Edinburgh branch and The Bruce had to make a report to their Fraud department. The thing is that we have never used this card on the internet, in a shop but only in a cash machine, I can only assume that it was amistake on behalf of the teller but how long is it going to take for us to get our money back? Do we suspend any further payments into the account until this is resolved? And how is it that one couple can have so much problems with banks!!!!!

We are going to go back to a mutual building society I rather think. They at least exist for the benfit of their members rather than the benefit of their flaming shareholders. banks grrrrr

ShelleyCowie
16-Feb-09, 13:16
That is absolutely rediculous! No wonder you are furious! I know i would be!

I remember i used my credit card at xmas time to buy a rather expensive present for the OH, the bank phoned me within 10 minutes saying someone has used my card for a substantial amount of money, i said yes that was me, and yet they would not believe me! :eek: I had to answer 10 questions to confirm i was actually me and it was me that used the card. Do i have to go through that every time i use my credit card! :roll:

But banks can be rediculous!! Hopefully you can get your money back soon!

Bad Manners
16-Feb-09, 13:26
It is a real pain I have suffered something similar a few years back when i went to withdraw some cash i knew was in my account the machine retained my card on a friday night and said i had to speak to my branch.
So on the monday i spoke to then to be told the card was kept as i had went way over my overdraft limit, I was furious as there should have been a good four figure sum in the bank not the o/draft tuned out someone had cloned my card dont know where or how. after weeks of wrangling with them and their fraud office the money was reinstated to my account but was a bad time trying to prove it was not me that had taken the money out.
I hope you get you problem sorted out soon best of luck

mccaugm
16-Feb-09, 13:35

I remember i used my credit card at xmas time to buy a rather expensive present for the OH, the bank phoned me within 10 minutes saying someone has used my card for a substantial amount of money, i said yes that was me, and yet they would not believe me! :eek: I had to answer 10 questions to confirm i was actually me and it was me that used the card. Do i have to go through that every time i use my credit card! :roll:

I actually think this is a good thing as if it had been done fraudulently you would then have griped at the bank. (sorry if that sounded rude, not intended to)

ShelleyCowie
16-Feb-09, 13:36
I actually think this is a good thing as if it had been done fraudulently you would then have griped at the bank. (sorry if that sounded rude, not intended to)

No it doesn't sound rude at all! I do understand but its just trying to prove it was me using it. They were endless.

do de do
16-Feb-09, 17:19

This happened to me in Inverness Tesco a while back. (I wasn't even spending that much.) I was quite embarrassed but pleased my bank were checking it was me. :)

Do x

Alice in Blunderland
16-Feb-09, 17:29
We have been the victims of card cloning and I feel that although a pain these checks are a necessary evil. :)

Squidge it took us a couple of weeks to get our money back. I would talk to the bank about any further payments as they could give you an overdraft meantime until the money comes back into your account as this is not your fault.

MadPict
16-Feb-09, 18:06
I have been with the Bank Of Scotland since I opened a savings account with them back in ~1970.
I've never had any problems with the bank, and used to call into the Wick branch whenever I was home to 'touch base'.
I was less than happy when the Halifax took the bank over and I am now looking to move my money somewhere else following the recent debacle with Lloyds TSB (which I voted against by virtue of my few shares I got as 'freebies').

The banks are in a right mess. If it wasn't for the fact so many places insist on direct debits etc I'd draw my money out and stuff my mattress with it. I'd get a better interest rate right now for sure!

acameron
16-Feb-09, 22:07

Becareful of banks calling you at home or people saying they are from "Data protection"- they may sound plausible on the phone, but they ask you questions like "Whats your mothers maiden name"-"Whats your date of birth"- etc...just enough to access your bank account online.
I would tell them on the phone that I would rather not give details over the phone but I would pop into the local branch to sort it out.

Careful what details you give over the phone

If I could do without a bank account I would...I prefer good old fashioned hard cash