PDA

View Full Version : New City Centre for Inverness?

DW
12-Feb-06, 19:46
Interesting little advert in the Herald this week.

"Inverness City Centre streetscape and transportation project"
Highland council are looking for contractors with " experience/expertise in high quality streetscape construction involving natural stone pavement technologies, road engineering, street lighting, masonry construction, traffic and pedestrian access management and associated community/business liaison. Approximate value £5.5million."

I bet that there will be no corners cut on this contract; and anyway how long ago was the last refurbishment? 3 Years? 4 Years?

ice box
12-Feb-06, 20:13
More money wasted on something that dos'nt need done .

Alice in Blunderland
12-Feb-06, 20:17
And Wick the poor relations cant even get a decent road into town with all the potholes and patches I could be excused for thinking I was doing a little off road driving.I find myself weaving in and out each time I enter or leave the town its a disgrace but hey they tell us its progress.......we could do with our town centre getting a nice wee facelift and I am sure it wouldnt cost nearly as much as Inverness and our need is greater.

willowbankbear
12-Feb-06, 20:28
Excrement city . What a waste of your money org folks eh ?

ice box
12-Feb-06, 20:30
[quote alice]I find myself weaving in and out each time I enter or leave the town . So thats u when i have to swurve to get out the way lol

Alice in Blunderland
12-Feb-06, 20:59
Yip thats me and I drive a people carrier so theres kids in the back complaining and cars flashing at me but hey Im a woman driver...:lol:

angela5
12-Feb-06, 21:15
You would think that part of the south road will get a serious face lift before the opening of homebase.

willowbankbear
12-Feb-06, 21:27
Dont count on it dear , this is Wick we are talking about !!!

rainbow
12-Feb-06, 21:52
I get infuriated when I hear what Inverness gets, and we the council tax payers who live over 100 miles away fund it, along with the other suckers in the highlands.
Surely instead of this spend on landscaping etc they could use the money to extend the dual carriageway further North past Tore roundabout.

krieve
13-Feb-06, 00:05
i was walking across the road a couple of weeks ago and there is a big hole you don't notice it until you fall over and nearly disapear lol

ice box
13-Feb-06, 00:11
i was walking across the road a couple of weeks ago and there is a big hole you don't notice it until you fall over and nearly disapear lol
Is its like a big yummy montser that just eat us hole lol

JAWS
13-Feb-06, 00:38
It's called "Economy of Scale". The bigger the Scale the larger the Economy the centre has to divert for it's own aggrandizement.
“Look what a wonderful place we have. It’s the fastest growing City in Europe!”

These are the Neo-Aristocracy leeching off the peasants to build ever larger Palaces to their own Glory.

“Throw the peasants in the wilderness a few bits of stale bread or they’ll become even more revolting than ever! If we can force them to come here it will be cheaper to control them.”

We pay, and those at the centre get fatter, meanwhile Caithness gets starved of funds and fades further away.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
13-Feb-06, 00:50
Its the same all over Britain though.You have areas that have a lot of individual towns with one major city.The major city seems to get everything and the towns get nothing.The hassle happens because the major city is said to be the main reason that tourists or visitors enter that area.But is it?
Every town in an area has a history,with different folks living in them,their always going to have a reason for visitors to visit.

You pay your taxes thinking that it will always go to your specific area and that it will always be money well spent.This is the two sided coin though,because the guy down in the city will be saying the exact same thing.

JAWS
13-Feb-06, 01:42
The major city simply thinks that everybody around cannot exist without it and therefore it thinks everybody should pay towards it. That's why Council Boundaries were altered so Cities had surrounding areas drawn into their sphere of influence.
The attitude is that people in the countryside must be rich and can afford to cough up or they would be living in the city like all the poor.
The truth of the matter is that cities have lots of voters and you have to keep them happy even if it's at the expense of others.
How long has the Highland Council been in existence? In the last ten to twelve years I have noticed a dramatic deterioration in the infrastructure of Caithness which had previously been obviously well maintained.
There must be a reason why things have suddenly gone down hill.

AR
13-Feb-06, 15:05
Inverness city center getting a face lift is a real waste of money because if the p&j a few weeks ago is to be belived all the shops turnover has been constantly dropping since the opening of the retail park, so doing anything in wick center would be just as big a waste.hmmm.

jimag
13-Feb-06, 15:46
You poor Weekers. No chance o ye gettan a share o e money from your neighbours in Poultney ?

Errogie
16-Feb-06, 19:26
Basically, the planners have screwed up Inverness with the out of town retail parks which of course are inundated by people from Caithness, Lochaber and Skye most weekends.
The place is like a donut with nothing left at the centre.
Beware, this scenario could be coming to a town near you but will you stop shopping for the Tesco bargains? No way, the big stores have you and me by the throat with their bargains, car parks and convenience!

codex
16-Feb-06, 19:48
Talking bout inverness, as i was in the city yesterday.
There was this strange smell lingering about the precinct it was quite putrid
Can anyone confirm this.. as it might of been my nostrils :confused

DW
16-Feb-06, 20:05
Talking bout inverness, as i was in the city yesterday.
There was this strange smell lingering about the precinct it was quite putrid
Can anyone confirm this.. as it might of been my nostrils :confused

Aye, it must be the stench of our council tax being flushed down the Inverness sewer...........[evil]