PDA

View Full Version : Night train to Inverness

Fluff
15-Feb-09, 21:30
Does anyone know how the service from Thurso to Inverness? As in, does it normally run to time?

I need to take the train back to Inverness not next week but the following week to catch a sleeper which leaves Inverness at 8:40pm. If we get the train at 4 we will arrive with 30 or so mins to spare, but if we take the earlier one we will have 3 hours to kill!

Any advice much appreciated.

unicorn
15-Feb-09, 21:38
i would take the earlier one as you never know when there may be a delay.

ShelleyCowie
15-Feb-09, 21:40
I would say take the earlier one! The last few times i have taken the train there was a large delay due to the train breaking down! im jinxed....but you are lucky i wont be on the train anytime soon ;)

Fluff
15-Feb-09, 21:41
This is what I am worried about, if we miss the sleeper we are foobarred. But it is really annoying me because I don't think there is anything to do really for 3 hours in Inverness at night.
I HATE scotrail!

~~Tides~~
15-Feb-09, 22:30
Have a nice meal somewhere.

webmannie
15-Feb-09, 23:19
go to the pub, get merry and then make use of the sleepers bar to get sloshed, sleep like a log all the way down!

Works for me, LOL:grin::grin:

joxville
15-Feb-09, 23:24
I've not done the Sleeper service since 1992, but did enjoy it. I didn't mind the wait in Inverness because it's one of my favourite city's. How much does it cost these days to travel to Euston or Kings Cross?

webmannie
16-Feb-09, 00:16
Price depends on various things, single can be anywhere between £124-210

joxville
16-Feb-09, 00:20
I used to book as late as two weeks notice and it cost £92 return, that was from Basingstoke>London>Inverness>Thurso.

Fran
16-Feb-09, 03:08
You can get the sleeper for £19 for your fare and berth, this is a really good bargain.

theone
16-Feb-09, 03:20
Price depends on various things, single can be anywhere between £124-210

Seriously, what is the incentive to use "green" public transport?

It'd be cheaper to drive at that price, and that way you wouldn't be stuck to train timetables.

You could also fly for cheaper.

I like the idea of the sleeper but can't see the advantages.

Fluff
16-Feb-09, 10:51
We got the bargin berth. You can only book one way but it worked out at about £60 return, which is what we normally pay for flights, so not bad really.

Bazeye
17-Feb-09, 01:39
go to the pub, get merry and then make use of the sleepers bar to get sloshed, sleep like a log all the way down!

Works for me, LOL:grin::grin:

Great minds think alike.:lol:

JAWS
17-Feb-09, 02:48
Between £124 and £210? Can you imagine the cost if two adults with two or three children were going? And then they wonder why people don't use the trains.

Vistravi
17-Feb-09, 15:51
The trains aren't reliable and often are delayed or are running late. Seriously it takes 4 hrs to get from thurso to Inverness and vice versa When if you drive max 3 hrs. [disgust] Trains aren't worth the hassle if you can drive. They're ok i suppose if you don't drive and need to get somewhere.
Honestly you'd think inverness was a couple of hundred miles away instead of jus over a hundred. This really annoys me bout some people. I think the worst thing ever is being stuck with somebody who thinks it's such a long way and who whines all the way there. I'd rather be with a bairn that is car sick than that!

Rant over!!

Fluff
17-Feb-09, 16:34
Well we decided to go for the earlier train. Bought all the tickets this afternoon, inc getting to London. £98 all together.
Works out about the same if we were to fly. It is times like these I wish I could drive.