PDA

View Full Version : hot food

pirateeye
14-Feb-09, 21:13
whats wrong with putting hot or warm or even slightly warm food in the fridge. theres left over pizza from dinner...one says go in fridge other says dont.
curiosity:)

changilass
14-Feb-09, 21:16
Putting warm food in will raise the average temperature, possibly to a dangerous level for whats in there already, just leave it to cool down then put it away .......... better still just eat it :lol:

OH says eat it too lol

ShelleyCowie
14-Feb-09, 21:17
I would love to answer that question for you....but in my house there is no such thing as left overs. :rolleyes: Not even when i cook a chicken or roast beef, every last bit is accounted for!

But i will take a guess and say it is not advisable. Im sure i learned something back in my school days to wait til hot food cools down completely before refridgerating!

pirateeye
14-Feb-09, 21:26
thanks very much

what about opening and shutting the door? like if you have door open for 30 seconds wont that warm the air in the fridge? although it likely doesn't matter....as much?
im clueless:)

Gizmo
14-Feb-09, 21:41
Gotta agree with Changilass....just eat it :D

joxville
14-Feb-09, 21:48
You never put very warm food in the fridge because it raises the temperature and causes condensation. Also, food bacteria thrives between temperatures of 5 degrees and 60 degrees. It's best to refrigerate leftover food within two hours and eat within three days.

scrumpysteve
16-Feb-09, 02:34
Should imagine that any leftover food would have cooled enough by the time you'd decided it WAS leftover so you can put it in the fridge, As Jox says, it shouldn't be very warm but allowed to cool.

I was told when I worked in a hotel a few years back that food should be cool before covering with foil or cling film and then refrigerating, otherwise it will allow moisture containing bacteria to condense and it's this moisture that can cause the food poisoning.

brandy
16-Feb-09, 09:21
left over pizza?!?! whats wrong with you *grins* did you make like 20 of em! nahhh dont have that prob here as pizza is devoured and oftimes y ou may near loose a finger trying to snatch a piece! but my answer is the same as above.. microscopic beasties! that will have a loo dash on in no time!