PDA

View Full Version : Funereal music

DrSzin
12-Feb-06, 02:49
What music would you like to be played at your funeral?

My current plan is as follows:

It'll start off with the Triumphal March from Verdi's Aida.
Then we'd have (in no particular order):
Imagine (John Lennon);
Comfortably Numb (Pink Floyd);
Angels (Robbie Williams);
Nessun Dorma (from Puccini's Turandot and sung by Pavarotti of course).

We'd probably finish off with Led Zep's Stairway to Heaven, but I'm open to alternative suggestions.

If I get badder between now and then, I'll replace some of the middle ones by Chris Rea's Road to Hell, the Stones' Sympathy for the Devil, and excerpts from Dante's Inferno. And if I go the other way I'll have one or more of U2's Angel of Harlem, Pride (in the name of love), and I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, and we'll climax with with Gloria Gaynor's I will Survive.

Anyone who caught the last half-hour of last night's Winter Olympics opening ceremony will notice that I'm not alone in my musical tastes, but I thought Peter Gabriel murdered Imagine. Grrrr...

paris
12-Feb-06, 03:08
I would like Led Zeps Stairway to heaven aswell. Then i would also like songbird by Eva cassidy. Then free bird but cant remember who its by. And not forgetting unchained melody by the righteous brothers. DrSzin, you and i are very alike in our music. Good choices.

JAWS
12-Feb-06, 03:19
I don't care what's in between but I want mine to start with "Jerusalem", you know, "England's Green and Pleasant Land", and end with "Flower of Scotland".
Only problem is that I won't be there to see the reactions. [evil]

DrSzin
12-Feb-06, 03:19
Freebird is Lynyrd Skynyrd. Good choice, Paris.

JAWS, thanks for reminding me. I forgot Jerusalem! I knew I'd forgotten something. English patriotic song or not, it'll do nicely.

Flower of Scotland would be ok, but Ally's Tartan Army is a non-starter.

paris
12-Feb-06, 03:21
That's the one, It was played at my best mates funeral 3 yrs ago.

Whitewater
12-Feb-06, 04:13
What music would you like to be played at your funeral?

My current plan is as follows:

It'll start off with the Triumphal March from Verdi's Aida.
Then we'd have (in no particular order):
Imagine (John Lennon);
Comfortably Numb (Pink Floyd);
Angels (Robbie Williams);
Nessun Dorma (from Puccini's Turandot and sung by Pavarotti of course).

We'd probably finish off with Led Zep's Stairway to Heaven, but I'm open to alternative suggestions.

If I get badder between now and then, I'll replace some of the middle ones by Chris Rea's Road to Hell, the Stones' Sympathy for the Devil, and excerpts from Dante's Inferno. And if I go the other way I'll have one or more of U2's Angel of Harlem, Pride (in the name of love), and I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, and we'll climax with with Gloria Gaynor's I will Survive.

Anyone who caught the last half-hour of last night's Winter Olympics opening ceremony will notice that I'm not alone in my musical tastes, but I thought Peter Gabriel murdered Imagine. Grrrr...

Dr Szin, you are going to have one very long service, I don't know if I could sustain the suspence that long, I would probsbly have to run out to relieve myself, or perhaps I would stay to see if your hero Richard Dawkins arrived to convince us you were not really the Messiah and send you on your way to wherever with Chris Rea's "Road to hell", but I don't think Dawkins would do that as it would mean that both he and you believed. Ha,Ha!!

Great selection of music though I like all the songs/tunes you have mentioned, I might even steal one or two for myself when the time comes.

spiggie
12-Feb-06, 04:13
In the arms of the angels by Sarah Mcloughlan ( if thats how u spell her name) :)

wickerinca
12-Feb-06, 04:51
I was quite willing to murder Peter Gabriel!!:evil

Now let's see?

As I am planning the whole Viking thing with the huge party on the beach I could need a lot of songs!

Freebird would be a must play. Pavarotti can sing anything he wants to. Cher..If I could turn back time. Sea of Heartbreak by the Searchers. Wild Mountain Thyme by the congregation followed by Wild Rover and Granny's Heiland Hame...also sung by the congregation.

After that you could just play whatever you wanted to...I'd be well toasted by then (Sorry...just had to do it:o )

brandy
12-Feb-06, 12:26
amazing grace
he leadeth me
dont know about any others

golach
12-Feb-06, 12:31
I could no care less what music is played at my funeral, I will not hear it I'll be dead [lol]

paris
12-Feb-06, 13:01
Oh but you will hear it Golach, belive me !

Rheghead
12-Feb-06, 13:29
No cremation should be without that song that goes...

"I am the Lord of Hell fire and I bring you fire!!
And I'll take you to burrrrnnnn!":p

coastown
12-Feb-06, 13:55
:cool: MY CHOICE OF SONGS WOULD BE ITS MY LIFE BY BON JOVIE (BRILLIANT) . LOVE ME BACK TO LIFE (BON JOVIE). I"LL SLEEP WHEN I"M DEAD.(BON JOVIE). [para]

DrSzin
12-Feb-06, 14:46
Dr Szin, you are going to have one very long service, I don't know if I could sustain the suspence that long, I would probsbly have to run out to relieve myself, or perhaps I would stay to see if your hero Richard Dawkins arrived to convince us you were not really the Messiah and send you on your way to wherever with Chris Rea's "Road to hell", but I don't think Dawkins would do that as it would mean that both he and you believed. Ha,Ha!!

Great selection of music though I like all the songs/tunes you have mentioned, I might even steal one or two for myself when the time comes.Glad you liked the music -- feel free to help yourself lol.

As for Richard Dawkins, I wouldn't say he was my hero lol! He is too much of a fundamentalist atheist for my liking. As I said on the thread of a few weeks ago, it's absurd to blame all the world's ills on organised religion. Indeed, he's often patronising and gratuitously rude to all sorts of religious people, which I don't like at all. But he says what he thinks, and that's what I find interesting. But we've been there before, so I'll shutup.

I definitely want Jerusalem because it's so uplifting, but I'll use my dead poet's licence and change the word "England" to "Scotland" for this one-off. Ok? I'm not so sure about the dark satanic mills, but you can't have everything.

Hmm, could I squeeze in Wild Mountain Thyme too?

I've just remembered my alternative to Stairway to Heaven for the end. How could I forget You'll Never Walk Alone (http://www.dougie.uk.com/walkalone.html)? :o Oh, and I'll invite King Kenny, Alan Hansen and God to my funeral.

Rheghead, Arthur's Brown's Fire used to scare me -- honestly!

star
12-Feb-06, 15:01
just back from a friend's funeral they played Pink Floyd's - Wish you were here, great song

DrSzin
12-Feb-06, 15:45
I'm truly sorry to hear about your friend, star. Good music can often help on such sad and trying occasions.

star
12-Feb-06, 16:00
thanks for your pm Drs, it happens to us all unfortunatley.
On a lighter note (well maybe not) another friend of mine want's The Jam's Going Underground at his funeral

golach
12-Feb-06, 16:33
Oh but you will hear it Golach, belive me !
Paris please don't start your spiritualist mumbo jumbo on me. I will be a lump of dead meat, and as far as I can tell that means I will have no senses of anykind.
But thank you for your kind words

Loafer
12-Feb-06, 16:49
The Hymn "Nearer, My God, To Thee" Without a doubt.
Angels (The Robster)
Then whatever they want!!

The Loafer

krieve
12-Feb-06, 16:56
I would like Queen-i want to break free,lol
i would also like Bon Jovi-it's my life
Damien Rice-cannon ball
Cyndi Lauper-time after time
And i love the song fields of athenry

LENSMAN
12-Feb-06, 17:00
Queen- Who wants to live forever,

phoenix
12-Feb-06, 17:08
Somewhere over the Rainbow..........Eva Cassidy
Heaven for Everyone.......Queen
Fix you.....Coldplay
Going Home.........Runrig
Hey Jude.........Beatles
Where peaceful waters flow.........Chris de Burgh
The Party aint over yet..........Staus Quos
Anything from Riverdance or Lord of the Dance........Lots of Colour and a big party:o)Ill be there.....wouldnt miss it for the world.:)

Nice thread DrSzin tried to rep you, says I cant till Ive passed it around.......rep that is:confused

Rheghead
12-Feb-06, 17:17
My funereal preferences would be...

Cleaning windas-George Formby
The Birdy Song
Star Trekkin-The Firm
Bob the builder we can fix it

and to finish off

Shad upper yer face:p

teddybear1873
12-Feb-06, 17:26
ac/dc- hells bells
sex pistols- god save the queen or anarchy in the uk lol

obiron
12-Feb-06, 17:44
i would like help - the beatles
still havent found - U2
angels - robbie
mull of kintyre - wings

would also like a fully charged mobile just in case i wake up. cos you never ken what will happen.

paris
12-Feb-06, 18:03
Paris please don't start your spiritualist mumbo jumbo on me. I will be a lump of dead meat, and as far as I can tell that means I will have no senses of anykind.

You may well be just a lump of dead meat, but your spirit will be long gone and yes you will be at your own funeral, but not just in your box !

Not preaching either !

scorrie
12-Feb-06, 20:59
Livin in a box (Livin in a box)

Going Underground (The Jam)

A Hearse with no name (America)

Funeral Pyre (The Jam again)

Can you stop the Coronary (Jona Lewie)

Cedric Farthsbottom III
12-Feb-06, 21:14
My funeral song will definetly be All About Eve's version of the traditional folk song "She moves through the fair".A song that after all these still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end.

Its that good a song that the hairs will stand on end even when I'm in ma box.:grin:

erli
12-Feb-06, 21:46
Mine would be 'Abide With Me' and 'Will Your Anchor Hold' and at the end of the service I would like Greendays, Good Ridance (The Time of Your Life).

Julia
13-Feb-06, 01:05
I will definitely have 'At my funeral' by The Crash Test Dummies

I'm still young, but I know my days are numbered
1234567 and so on
But a time will come when these numbers have all ended
And all I've ever seen will be forgotten

Won't you come
To my funeral when my days are done
Life's not long
And so I hope when I am finally dead and gone
That you'll gather round when I am lowered into the ground

When my coffin is sealed and I'm safely 6 feet under
Perhaps my friends will see fit then to judge me
Oh when they pause to consider all my blunders
I hope they won't be too quick to begrudge me

If I should die before I wake up
I pray that the Lord my soul will take but
My body, my body - that's your job

I can't be sure where I'm headed after death
To heaven, hell, or beyond to that Great Vast
But if I can I would like to meet my Maker
There's one or two things I'd sure like to ask

Rheghead
13-Feb-06, 01:06
Livin in a box (Livin in a box)

Going Underground (The Jam)

A Hearse with no name (America)

Funeral Pyre (The Jam again)

Can you stop the Coronary (Jona Lewie)

nice one!:Razz

Fran
13-Feb-06, 02:31
I'm having angels..by robbie williams, those were the days of my life.....Queen, and all creatures big and small......cant remember the name of this hymn.

canuck
13-Feb-06, 02:49
I'm having angels..by robbie williams, those were the days of my life.....Queen, and all creatures big and small......cant remember the name of this hymn.

I think that this is what you are looking for:

All things bright and beautiful all creatures great and small,
All things wise and wonderful, in love God made them all.

Each little flower that opens, each little bird that sings,
God made their glowing colours, God made their tiny wings. (3 more verses)

The tune is Royal Oak, the author is Cecil Frances Alexander.

Sporran
13-Feb-06, 03:29
One song I think I'd have at my funeral would be 'My Way', lol! Not sung by Ol' Blue Eyes, but by Shirley Bassey, who really belts it out! :lol:

And now the end is near
So I face the final curtain
My friend, I’ll say it clear
I’ll state my case of which I’m certain

I’ve lived a life that’s full
I’ve traveled each and every highway
And more, much more than this
I did it my way

Regrets, I’ve had a few
But then again, too few to mention
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exception

I planned each charted course
Each careful step along the byway
Oh, and more, much more than this
I did it my way

Yes, there were times, I’m sure you know
When I bit off more than I could chew
But through it all when there was doubt
I ate it up and spit it out
I faced it all and I stood tall
And did it my way

I’ve loved, I’ve laughed and cried
I’ve had my fails, my share of losing
And now as tears subside
I find it all so amusing
To think I did all that
And may I say, not in a shy way
Oh, no, no not me
I did it my way

For what is a girl, what has she got
If not herself, then she has not
To say the words she truly feels
And not the words she would reveal
The record shows I took the blows
And did it my way
The record shows I took the blows
And did it my way

wickerinca
13-Feb-06, 04:15
:cool: MY CHOICE OF SONGS WOULD BE ITS MY LIFE BY BON JOVIE (BRILLIANT) . LOVE ME BACK TO LIFE (BON JOVIE). I"LL SLEEP WHEN I"M DEAD.(BON JOVIE). [para]

Like Bon Jovi eh?

wickerinca
13-Feb-06, 04:21

Och but Golach....do you no want to help those that you leave behind? It is difficult choosing music for a funeral so it is easier if you tell them beforehand

I want everybody to have a good time at my funeral...I love life and I hope that I pass that on to my children!!

wickerinca
13-Feb-06, 04:24
My funereal preferences would be...

Cleaning windas-George Formby
The Birdy Song
Star Trekkin-The Firm
Bob the builder we can fix it

and to finish off

Shad upper yer face:p

You obviously don't want people to stay for tea and a dram then[lol]

squidge
13-Feb-06, 10:08
i would like Free bird or Stairway to heaven

I would also like Halleluyah by Jeff Buckley

And i would like Dance by Leanne Womack

IM hoping for a cardboard coffin and tree planted at my head so id like it all played on a portable CD player and hope its not raining

CorneliusC
13-Feb-06, 11:41
I didn't see Peter Gabriel at the Olympics do, but he will feature heavily at any service for me! If you know/read the lyrics it will help understand that 'Solsbury Hill' is a definite, and possibly 'Growing Up' too (or REM's 'It's the end of the world as we know it').

At the end of the service for my father we had one of his favourites, 'In a Persian Market' by Ketelby - totally unfunereal, but very appropriate for him, and I think that's the main thing (we only just rejected The Riff Song (? name) from The Desert Song!

angela5
13-Feb-06, 14:30
I'd much rather pass on the mournful stuff, i'd much prefer to go to scientific research[para]

wickerinca
13-Feb-06, 15:38
I'd much rather pass on the mournful stuff, i'd much prefer to go to scientific research[para]

Fascinating stuff that. Did anybody see those programs shown in January 2005 where they actually dissected real dead bodies on TV and showed you how everything worked. Was absolutely glued!!

erli
13-Feb-06, 15:49
Fascinating stuff that. Did anybody see those programs shown in January 2005 where they actually dissected real dead bodies on TV and showed you how everything worked. Was absolutely glued!!

I think I would pass out if I watched that, I can't even look when they try to take blood from me, and if my kids fall and cut themselves, I'm just hopeless.

angela5
13-Feb-06, 16:16

I watched them all fascinating, i too would be up for donating myself for research beats the cost of a funeral.

Sporran
13-Feb-06, 18:57
Although I mentioned 'My Way' sung by Shirley Bassey in a previous post, I'd actually be more likely to have some of my favourite classical pieces played at my funeral. These would include:

Barber's 'Adagio for Strings'

Pachelbel's 'Canon'

Bach's 'Air on a G String'

Massenet's 'Meditation from "Thais" '

Satie's 'Gymnopedie No 3'

Another beautiful piece I'd like to have is 'Cavatina' by Stanley Myers, played by classical guitarist John Williams.

scorrie
13-Feb-06, 20:52

That's put me straight.

I always thought it was Baw Hair on a G String!!

Saveman
14-Feb-06, 16:03

Yes it was brilliant. Hopefully they'll make few more series of this educational program. I was a bit embarrassed for the poor people that have to stand around naked in front of the audience but I'm sure they are well paid!

Tymey
14-Feb-06, 16:13
Although I mentioned 'My Way' sung by Shirley Bassey in a previous post, I'd actually be more likely to have some of my favourite classical pieces played at my funeral. These would include:

Barber's 'Adagio for Strings'

Pachelbel's 'Canon'

Massenet's 'Meditation from "Thais" '

Satie's 'Gymnopedie No 3'

Another beautiful piece I'd like to have is 'Cavatina' by Stanley Myers, played by classical guitarist John Williams.

Another lovely piece is Faure's 'In Paradisium.'

cuddlepop
14-Feb-06, 18:58
Supertramps.LONG WAY HOME,...
somehow it just feels right.Paris is right Golach you will be there so youd as well pick a peace you like,:Razz

golach
14-Feb-06, 20:44
Supertramps.LONG WAY HOME,...
somehow it just feels right.Paris is right Golach you will be there so youd as well pick a peace you like,:Razz

Yawn!!!!!!! I'll not be there Cuddlepop. A dead skeleton will be there, only because convention demands it, if it were allowed I would tell Mrs G to stick me in a black bin bag, and leave me for the council to dispose of. Then she could have saved herself a lot of money, and so called public grief and mourning.
So please dont bore me by saying my spirit will be there, as from pervious threads you can see my opinion on the Spiritual mumbo jumbo, that paris and her pals spout, it may be for them but not for me.

cuddlepop
14-Feb-06, 21:04
Golach,it does exist .My dad died when Iwas 15 which was a while ago but I know as does my mother he.s still here.:Razz

canuck
15-Feb-06, 06:19
I had an interesting experience of funeral music yesterday. Burlington has a Mens Welsh Choir and they sang at a Service I conducted. About 40 were present. The unique thing about this group is that the members are mostly ex-pat Scots with accents ranging from Fife to Glasgow. It makes for an interesting sound, not as rich as a full Welsh choir, but quite remarkable none the less. I would have loved to have heard Jerusalem. Unfortunately the selections they did sing weren't quite in that league.

MGB1979
15-Feb-06, 09:46
The Imperial March - John Williams
The End - The Doors
Going Underground - The Jam

Errogie
16-Mar-06, 19:29
Surely the climate and wide open spaces of Caithness cry out for a piper on the way to, and at the grave side.

Start with the lovely air "The mist covered mountains" followed by the "Flowers of the Forest" and concluded with the "Hen's March to the Midden".

Always liked the street jazz band in the New Orleans funeral which opened one of the Bond movies.

candyfloss
16-Mar-06, 21:21
It's My Life- Bon Jovi
Flying Without Wings-westlife
Heaven-bryan Adams

willowbankbear
16-Mar-06, 22:04
Always look on the bright side of life-Monty Python
Dont you forget about me-Simple minds
She Bangs the Drums-Stone Roses
My Way- Frank sinatra

goldenguernsey
17-Mar-06, 01:14
Would have to be Runrig, Hearts of Olden Glory.

The Pepsi Challenge
17-Mar-06, 02:42
Return To Sender - Elvis.

Fran
18-Mar-06, 00:50
I completely agree with you cuddlepop
Golach,it does exist .My dad died when Iwas 15 which was a while ago but I know as does my mother he.s still here.:Razz

goldenguernsey
18-Mar-06, 02:55
While ever you are here and alive he'll never be gone. Part of him lives on in you, you know it does. That's what it's all about.

goldenguernsey
18-Mar-06, 02:56
There must be a place, under the sun, where hearts of olden glory grow young.

grantyg
18-Mar-06, 12:18
The only way is "up" - Yazz

willowbankbear
18-Mar-06, 14:24
The only way is "up" - Yazz

Classic:Razz :Razz ROFL

ice box
18-Mar-06, 14:48
Mines would have to be raise your hands by bonjovi .