PDA

View Full Version : computer help

Mr P Cannop
11-Feb-06, 21:41
how do i set up a 2nd computer to the main computer ??

Deemac
11-Feb-06, 22:17
how do i set up a 2nd computer to the main computer ??

Aaghh, One of those highly detailed queries technical support departments thrive on!!

Appropriate response: 'Take existing computer - shove it a couple of feet to the left - place new machine to the right - switch both on'.

There, now you have 2 computers set up!

Mr P Cannop
11-Feb-06, 22:24
i think my mum wants it down stairs ?? the 2nd computer will be using a ruter

jjc
11-Feb-06, 22:25
Sorry Paul, but I think you're going to have to explain exactly what it is you are trying to do.

Mr P Cannop
11-Feb-06, 22:57
my mum wants to set up her computer in another room with the ruter we have

davem
11-Feb-06, 23:04
Hi Paul
If you connect the 2 computers with a twisted pair cable (rj45 connectors on each end) assuming both pc's have an ethernet card and then if you are running xp run the setup network wizard on both calling the network the same name. Then that should be it. Thats what I was told last weekend and after nearlya whole weekend of disabling windows' firewall and explaining to norton antivirus what computers I wanted to talk to I've got a network. I just wish I'd conned a mate who'se done it before to come round and sort it all out.
Good luck I'm sure with all your mates on the forum you'll do fine.

Phoebus_Apollo
11-Feb-06, 23:05
Try this... (http://compnetworking.about.com/od/homenetworking/a/routernetworks.htm)

jjc
11-Feb-06, 23:05
Is this a router that you already have your own PC connected to? Is it wireless or are you using ethernet cabling?

davem
11-Feb-06, 23:06
What I mean is it can be done but it's a pain in the neck and takes ages.
You have all the info I have on it.