PDA

View Full Version : Who do you think you are?

Rheghead
11-Feb-06, 20:13
Having watched the TV series and I have had a death in the family recently, I have decided to build my family tree. Not much to report up to now except a VC awardee, an MBE and a Major in the Blues and Royals.

Has anyone got any interesting ancestors from their family?:grin:

golach
11-Feb-06, 20:32
Having watched the TV series and I have had a death in the family recently, I have decided to build my family tree. Not much to report up to now except a VC awardee, an MBE and a Major in the Blues and Royals.

Has anyone got any interesting ancestors from their family?:grin:

Rheg this web site is the site for me finding out my family tree, a chance meeting in the Chat room about a year ago, and I met my cousin Fiona ( her sign in name) and she has now become my Geneaology guru and has provided me with the details of mine and her familys going back to 1750. And just a few days ago, Fiona met Acameron2 in the chat room also, they exchanged details and I now have found out that Acameron2 is Fiona and my 4th cousin, the scary bit is that Acameron2 and I met in here about 4 years ago, became friends and met each other, along with DrSzin and Squidge in a few hostelrys in Edinburgh.
I have since discovered another relation not a blood one, but still related every so slightly, and he contibutes on the message boards on a regular basis. So you never know you might find a long lost relly as I did.
And yes I like the tv show also, maybe I'm just nosy about folk :lol:

Bobinovich
11-Feb-06, 21:13
Somewhere back on my paternal side is Jeremiah Clarke, composer of a well know tune called the Trumpet Voluntary (http://www.mindspring.com/~nemoyten/music/Clarke.mp3), which is frequently used in wedding processions.

I think he's the only 'famous' one in our particular arboretum!

jjc
11-Feb-06, 22:47
Somewhere back on my paternal side is Jeremiah Clarke, composer of a well know tune called the Trumpet Voluntary (http://www.mindspring.com/%7Enemoyten/music/Clarke.mp3)
Fantastic. I love that piece of music... I played it at the music festival one year and it's now one of my 'warm up' pieces whenever I pick the old trumpet up for a blow.

If it turns out that I am wrong about the afterlife and you happen to bump in to Jeremiah when you get there, tell him I said 'Good job'. :grin:

BRIE
11-Feb-06, 23:53
my paternal grandfather (dont know how many greats back) was the last known court jester.

dirdyweeker
12-Feb-06, 00:30
I am from the same family as Duncan 1 (who died in 1039) Our family tree goes back quite a bit!!

girnigoe
12-Feb-06, 01:01
I would LOVE to research my family tree! I wouldnt know where to start though (well obviously with myself!!)

I have signed up to Genes Reunited - although so far I havent found it very helpful.

Rheghead
12-Feb-06, 01:14
I would LOVE to research my family tree! I wouldnt know where to start though (well obviously with myself!!)

I have signed up to Genes Reunited - although so far I havent found it very helpful.

I found it disappointing as well though their tree building facility is superior, however (imho) try www.ancestry.co.uk instead (at least for england and wales) they have access to more censuses.

willowbankbear
12-Feb-06, 01:16
My Family`s tree goes way back to 1796 in Dunbeath, 1 of thyem played for Queens Park fc another was on the books for The Rangers & most bof the rest were teachers or Fishermen, of which I was the last(thankfully) I didnt realise how big a family i had though.
Interesting stuff , Definately

airdlass
12-Feb-06, 02:05
I loved the show -pity we couldn't get access to records etc as easy as they did though!!
My mother's family are Bain's from Sarclet and Henderson's from Latheron and Halkirk.

paris
12-Feb-06, 03:00
I was adopted so went onto genes reunited to do a bit of family tracing. I had grown up as an only child but through that site found i was one of 12 !
On my birth family the name Christians came up and a great-------- dont remember how many back grandfather was the last known smuggler in kent. Then on my adopted side my grandfather was one of the Arga karnes ( cant spell it ) jockeys . Very good site for finding relatives/ info.
I have found all 10 brothers and sisters but have 1 brother missing and cant get a trace anywhere,

JAWS
12-Feb-06, 03:33
Fantastic. I love that piece of music... I played it at the music festival one year and it's now one of my 'warm up' pieces whenever I pick the old trumpet up for a blow.

If it turns out that I am wrong about the afterlife and you happen to bump in to Jeremiah when you get there, tell him I said 'Good job'. :grin:
Now, now jjc, I'm the only one allowed to blow his own trumpet around here!
I agree about the music though!