PDA

View Full Version : Darwinism

The Pepsi Challenge
13-Feb-09, 08:54
I know, I know. Talking about politics and/ or religion is bound to create a stooshie. However... I couldn't help notice in the wake of all the recent Darwinism stuff kicking around at the moment that there's lots of new - and not so new - talk about the dawn of time/ the big dude in the sky (or not as the case may be). Anyway, I saw this today, taken from theregister website:

"The Vatican gave the Creationist lobby a left right sign of the cross today, announcing it would stage a conference on Darwinism next month and declaring that it was one of the Fathers of the Church that thought up the idea in the first place.

At one point the conference at the Pontifical Gregorian University wasn't going to give Creationism or Intelligent Design a hearing at all. But apparently the organisers have relented, and will consider Intelligent Design as a "cultural phenomenon" rather than as a valid scientific theory, giving US-based IDers the chance to be smirked at by a room full of Monseigneurs, Cardinals and Bishops."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/02/11/vatican_on_darwin/

Views y'all?

p.s. I sincerely hope Metalattakk doesn't chastise me for a whole week about it, but hey-ho.

JAWS
13-Feb-09, 09:22
What puzzles me is that the concept of the Big Bang. It is claimed that there was nothing, nothing, nothing and then out of that nothing, BANG, everything and all in a billionth of a second.
The same people then tell me that a belief in a God who created everything out of nothing and took six whole days to do it shouldn't be believed.

I suppose they say that because they think God is a laggard who shouldn't have spent such a massive length of time over such a simple job.

Kevin Milkins
13-Feb-09, 09:44
The more I think about it the more my head hurts:eek: so I try not to think about it too much.

The Darwin shopping centre in Shrewsbury is a nice place to shop though.:roll:

joxville
13-Feb-09, 09:50
So the Big Bang refers to the beginning of earth/time? I always thought it had something to do with Vanessa Feltz!

brokencross
13-Feb-09, 10:25
I do find it a bit of an enigma that in a school you can go from a science lesson vaunting Darwinism along the corrider to a Religious Education lesson where Creationism could be the topic.

(Maybe it could be sorted out once and for all Harry Hill's TV Burp style.....FIGHT)

What is infinity......the biggest number you can think of + 1..??
What is beyond the fence at the edge of the universe?
What should I have for tea?

Cattach
13-Feb-09, 10:59
I do find it a bit of an enigma that in a school you can go from a science lesson vaunting Darwinism along the corrider to a Religious Education lesson where Creationism could be the topic.

(Maybe it could be sorted out once and for all Harry Hill's TV Burp style.....FIGHT)

What is infinity......the biggest number you can think of + 1..??
What is beyond the fence at the edge of the universe?
What should I have for tea?

No enigna, no problem. Just the proof we live in a society where you can listen to different points of view, weigh them up and make up your own mind - or be puzzled if you so wish.
I am perplexed by 'how the World/Universe began and happy to listen to all sorts of theories. In a major culture not to mention here dispute the contents of the holy book and your hands are off.
How lucky we are to live in a real democracy though I will be the first to admit it is be no means perfect.

rich
13-Feb-09, 17:03
This should never have been posted. As a result the lunatics are up and running and baying at the moon. The boredom gauge is soaring. Percy Toboggan meets Alfed Hitchcock and the homosexuals was bad enough but this has the potential to be even more intellectualy stifling....

scorrie
13-Feb-09, 18:22
This should never have been posted. As a result the lunatics are up and running and baying at the moon. The boredom gauge is soaring. Percy Toboggan meets Alfed Hitchcock and the homosexuals was bad enough but this has the potential to be even more intellectualy stifling....

I don't know about anyone else, but I am fed up hearing you warbling on about what should or should not be posted on this forum. If you don't enjoy the forum, crawl back to wherever you came from. I won't miss your tedious running down of the forum and your insults aimed at some of the users.

scorrie
13-Feb-09, 19:00
What puzzles me is that the concept of the Big Bang. It is claimed that there was nothing, nothing, nothing and then out of that nothing, BANG, everything and all in a billionth of a second.
The same people then tell me that a belief in a God who created everything out of nothing and took six whole days to do it shouldn't be believed.

I suppose they say that because they think God is a laggard who shouldn't have spent such a massive length of time over such a simple job.

Personally speaking, I would have thought there would have been more evidence of God's work, had there been a creator. I don't accept the mysterious reasons why God cannot make himself known to us and I do not wish to "meet" a God who uses the threat of eternal damnation to recruit followers. Even we humble humans can sometimes forgive, and it is totally abhorrent to me to even consider embracing a scenario where an all-powerful, immortal entity has to resort to punishing souls, which he has presumably created, for ever more. When you get right down to it, much of the Bible is human "logic" and emotions. I cannot see an immortal being having such qualities, surely they would be "perfect" and free from human frailties and emotions. An "Angry" God seems illogical to me, it reeks of human input to create fear, and to control through that fear.

You can spend a lot of time arguing back and forth but we will never know one way or the other. It is my personal philosophy to simply accept we are here, assume that there is no higher power because a) There is insufficient evidence b) At the end of the day we would probably be able to get along better, as a world, if there were not divisions caused by religions. You can live a decent life without having to believe in God.

"I believe in Coyotes and Time as an abstract"

Geo
13-Feb-09, 19:27
Personally speaking, I would have thought there would have been more evidence of God's work, had there been a creator. I don't accept the mysterious reasons why God cannot make himself known to us and I do not wish to "meet" a God who uses the threat of eternal damnation to recruit followers. Even we humble humans can sometimes forgive, and it is totally abhorrent to me to even consider embracing a scenario where an all-powerful, immortal entity has to resort to punishing souls, which he has presumably created, for ever more. When you get right down to it, much of the Bible is human "logic" and emotions. I cannot see an immortal being having such qualities, surely they would be "perfect" and free from human frailties and emotions. An "Angry" God seems illogical to me, it reeks of human input to create fear, and to control through that fear.

Then you will be pleased to know God forgives more freely than any of us and does not condemn anyone to a place of eternal torment. Hell as a firey afterlife where people are tortured forever is a doctrine that was introduced to "Christianty" and is not a teaching from the Bible.

Cattach
13-Feb-09, 19:47

I do not know what you are about. Seemed very reasonable thread to me bearing in mind the Darwinian anniversary and the mass of radio, TV and newspaper coverage and stories. The TV programme by David Attenborough intrigued me and got me thinking which what the threads should also be about. Wish it had got you thinking more clearly.

hotrod4
13-Feb-09, 20:55
As usual I forgot its Rich.org!!!:evil
If Rich dont like it then we cant talk about it, i must remember that for future reference.
Just because you dont like the subject matter doesnt mean anyone else cant post about it. If you dont like it there is a big red button on the bottom of your PC tower called "OFF" Bout time you learned when to OFF.

hotrod4
13-Feb-09, 20:58
I believe there must have been something before the "big bang" but what? Its the old Chicken or Egg question.
I personally have a Belief but its not as strong as some.there are times when i wish my faith was stronger but I cant quite get my head around it all to be honest.
I do believe that we must have evolved from something at some stage but wont pretend to be knowledgable about it!!!
I will leave that to those that know!!:roll:

scorrie
13-Feb-09, 21:20
Then you will be pleased to know God forgives more freely than any of us and does not condemn anyone to a place of eternal torment. Hell as a firey afterlife where people are tortured forever is a doctrine that was introduced to "Christianty" and is not a teaching from the Bible.

Then God has allowed his "purpose" to become perverted, not something I would associate with a "Supreme Being"

People tend to interpret the Bible as they wish it to read, it is the work of mere mortals. I would advise anyone who wishes to see the nonsense that is spouted forth on the book's behalf, to tune into any of numerous satellite channels where you can see self-centred egotists make a mockery of qualities such as sincerity, modesty, tolerance and humility.

I think it was Voltaire who said "If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him". I believe that we did invent "him" some time ago, when he may have been the Sun, or whatever, to the people at the time. I am sure we did not need to invent him though. We have within ourselves the ability to live a good life.

percy toboggan
13-Feb-09, 21:39
Anyone who seriously believes in creationism is in my opinion wrong.Perhaps it's all about optimism or the need for a faith.

I heard David Attenborough speaking on the subject the other day and his view was put with less subtlety than mine.

I'll stick with the scientists although I'd like to believe in a supreme being - I feel she'd be making a better job of it down here than all these politicos, bankers and religious nutcases.

(it wouldn't be a bloke - would it?)

percy toboggan
13-Feb-09, 21:43

Here he goes again....do you have a photo of me at which you throw darts ?

If you have a 'boredom gauge' then you're shallow minded:running on empty.
Don't 'stifle' on my account.......oh...go on then

scorrie
13-Feb-09, 21:51
Alfed Hitchcock and the homosexuals

Who is Al, and why was he feeding Hitchcock and the homosexuals?

The statement is confusing and ambiguous. Was Al being bigoted by NOT feeding the Heterosexuals? Were there other film directors present, who were left to go hungry by our Pal Al?

hotrod4
13-Feb-09, 23:19
This Thread should be renamed "Rich-ism's-The rise and fall";)

Angel
13-Feb-09, 23:57
Who wrote the bible... lets see, they were all men, they were all from the middle east (the most stable area on the planet), they often changed their minds (in the sequel, the new testament), and someone had to edit it, translate it, and even deny perfectly valid entries etc...
Fear = power...
Keep the masses subdued...

Angel

crayola
14-Feb-09, 01:29
This should never have been posted. As a result the lunatics are up and running and baying at the moon. The boredom gauge is soaring. Percy Toboggan meets Alfed Hitchcock and the homosexuals was bad enough but this has the potential to be even more intellectualy stifling....Lol rich, I don't think a single soul picked up your meaning.

You have to pick it up and run with it if you want to carry them with you. You can trip them up at the first hurdle but they'll not even reach the second one if you do that and there's no chance of them ever reaching the 100 or 110 metre mark.

scorrie
14-Feb-09, 01:37
Lol rich, I don't think a single soul picked up your meaning.

You could be right, but I think several married couples did ;)

"This should never have been posted. As a result the lunatics are up and running and baying at the moon. The boredom gauge is soaring. Percy Toboggan meets Alfed Hitchcock and the homosexuals was bad enough but this has the potential to be even more intellectualy stifling...."

If we are to assume that, "This should never have been posted", is rich referring to the remainder of his post, then the whole thing makes perfect sense ;)

Saveman
14-Feb-09, 01:40
I am NOT getting involved in this thread!

er.....

DOH! :p

crayola
14-Feb-09, 01:43
I am NOT getting involved in this thread!

er.....

DOH! :pWise move Saveman. You've demonstrated on several occasions that you don't understand evolution. Why show yourself up yet again? ;)

crayola
14-Feb-09, 01:44
Lol rich, I don't think a single soul picked up your meaning.

You have to pick it up and run with it if you want to carry them with you. You can trip them up at the first hurdle but they'll not even reach the second one if you do that and there's no chance of them ever reaching the 100 or 110 metre mark.Oh God, I was so right!

Saveman
14-Feb-09, 01:44
Wise move Saveman. You've demonstrated on several occasions that you don't understand evolution. Why show yourself up yet again? ;)

Very true.....I guess people just don't explain it in a way that makes any sense.......;)

crayola
14-Feb-09, 02:13
Didn't I explain what you were doing wrong last time? Have you done your homework and read up on what I told you to read up on?

I bet you haven't, you're a very naughty boy!

trix
14-Feb-09, 02:32
Who wrote the bible... lets see, they were all men, they were all from the middle east (the most stable area on the planet), they often changed their minds (in the sequel, the new testament), and someone had to edit it, translate it, and even deny perfectly valid entries etc...
Angel

i think they may hev smokin 'e auld 'marijuana' an maybe on some powerful 'LSD' :lol:

Metalattakk
14-Feb-09, 02:48
I bet you haven't, you're a very naughty boy!

"No he's not, he's the Messiah!"

(Oh wait, that's no' right is it...?)

crayola
14-Feb-09, 02:58
I loved that film. I think Darwin might have liked it too.

brokencross
14-Feb-09, 09:49
Who wrote the bible... lets see, they were all men,

Old testament, Esther and Ruth will not be too chuffed being forgotten[lol]

gleeber
14-Feb-09, 10:12
Its good that more and more religious people are wising up to the creationists. Its a pity that more and more Darwinians couldnt embrace a bit of religion to complement their knowledge.

crayola
14-Feb-09, 15:15
Its good that more and more religious people are wising up to the creationists. Its a pity that more and more Darwinians couldnt embrace a bit of religion to complement their knowledge.Which bit of religion do you suggest Darwinists should embrace? Do they have to Adam 'n' Eve it?

Valerie Campbell
14-Feb-09, 15:20
Fear = power...
Keep the masses subdued...

Angel

I agree. The Bible is a kind of political doctrine to control the masses and it's something I've always thought.

Angel
14-Feb-09, 23:17
I stand corrected Brokencross... but I am sure you know what I mean...

Angel...

crayola
15-Feb-09, 14:48
I agree. The Bible is a kind of political doctrine to control the masses and it's something I've always thought.I wouldn't say that about most of the books in the New Testament. Isn't it the way some people have interpreted them that causes the problems?