PDA

View Full Version : We have a medal! We have a gold!

canuck
11-Feb-06, 19:57
We have gold, Canada's first medal of the Olympics.

Downhill skiing, even if over little hills, has started us out.

This doesn't quite make up for that day in Wick in 2004 when by a whisper we lost to the UK in rowing on my birthday. But it sure feels great.

Rheghead
11-Feb-06, 20:04
Did the winner have Scottish ancestors?:roll: Or go on holiday in Scotland once?

JAWS
11-Feb-06, 20:05
Canuck, don't do things like that. I thought you meant Scotland when I saw your heading.
Sudden unexpected shocks like that can be dangerous!

canuck
11-Feb-06, 20:09
Rheghead,
Her name is Jennifer Heil. I don't know if it might be Gaelic. You can claim her if you think that it is.

Rheghead
11-Feb-06, 20:16
Heil? Sounds German to me:)

wickerinca
11-Feb-06, 22:46
That Canadian lassie Katrina le May Doan (or something like that....I am sure canuck knows who I mean!!)...her Mother came from Thurso I believe:grin:

Cedric Farthsbottom III
11-Feb-06, 23:25
We have gold, Canada's first medal of the Olympics.

Downhill skiing, even if over little hills, has started us out.

This doesn't quite make up for that day in Wick in 2004 when by a whisper we lost to the UK in rowing on my birthday. But it sure feels great.
Canuck,ye got me the same as Jaws,I thought someone fae Scotland had won a medal.Mind ye auld Rhona Martin is there.

canuck
12-Feb-06, 00:40
Sorry about that guys. I didn't mean to startle anyone. I figured that "canuck" would be a big enough tip off. I'll be more careful next time.

canuck
17-Feb-06, 20:22
Update:

Another gold in the men's skeleton. It involves going down a frozen water shute head first on a little board very fast!

We are now in second place in the overall medal standing.

tommy1979
17-Feb-06, 20:27
It involves going down a frozen water shute head first on a little board very fast!

You gotta admire they Skeleton and Luge competitors....no fear what so ever

JAWS
17-Feb-06, 20:33
You gotta admire they Skeleton and Luge competitors....no fear what so ever
Nah, it's easy! You start by removing your brain......! :roll:

canuck
17-Feb-06, 20:35
.....exactly what I have always thought.

scorrie
17-Feb-06, 21:13
Update:

Another gold in the men's skeleton. It involves going down a frozen water shute head first on a little board very fast!

We are now in second place in the overall medal standing.

There was a hilarious incident in the Women's Snowboard Cross. The USA girl was miles ahead and decided to perform a totally unnecessary high jump, complete with a grab on the board, to show off nearing the finish line. Such a move is usually reserved for the Half-Pipe event and it went spectacularly wrong when she fell flat on her hips and gifted Gold to the Swiss lassie.

Why does it always seem to be USA competitors who have to showboat before it is all over?

Ah well, she has got four years to ponder her "in your face" attitude.

Rheghead
17-Feb-06, 21:17
Have the Brits got a silver medal?

canuck
17-Feb-06, 21:22

Sorry, I cannot help you with that. We get only Canadian results and American losses, like the USA woman's hockey team.

scorrie
17-Feb-06, 21:28

Oh yes, the lassie was on Richard and Judy this evening I think. Sadly the two British guys in contention in the Mens event suffered from what I call the "Fluttering of the Clapper Valve" on their second runs.

wickerinca
17-Feb-06, 21:49
Aye.........the British lassie did so well!! Canada got the Bronze and Switzerland the Gold. The Swiss lassie looked all of 14!!....though I expect she was a few years older than that.
I was nearly having heart failure :D just watching that Skeleton and Luge.............wonder what their blood pressure sits at............know where mine would be and I don't have a problem with it normally!! Love to try that though........anyone need a good brain......hardly used.......going cheap!!?

scorrie
17-Feb-06, 22:57
The Swiss lassie looked all of 14!!....though I expect she was a few years older than that.

Are you sure you were looking at the right lassie. Maya Pedersen is 33. Maybe she should be the one getting a drugs test ;o)

Cedric Farthsbottom III
17-Feb-06, 23:02
I think all the competetitors in the skeleton must be on drugs,cos you would never get me going down a slipperyslide on a tea tray.tea trays are strictly for cups o' tea and perchance a wee Hob-Nob biscuit.

canuck
17-Feb-06, 23:28
I think all the competetitors in the skeleton must be on drugs,cos you would never get me going down a slipperyslide on a tea tray.tea trays are strictly for cups o' tea and perchance a wee Hob-Nob biscuit.

I totally agree!!

However we do have some free spirits in this country and come by the name "crazy canucks" quite honestly.

wickerinca
17-Feb-06, 23:59
Are you sure you were looking at the right lassie. Maya Pedersen is 33. Maybe she should be the one getting a drugs test ;o)

Aye it was Maya.........I googled her and was amazed at her age!!......I'll have some of what she takes!!

wickerinca
18-Feb-06, 00:01
Oh!! canuck I forgot to say.........Congrats on the gold and silver in the Men's Skeleton. You would think that at 39 he would have more sense!!.............but great going!! He never gave up did he?:grin:

canuck
20-Feb-06, 22:42
We have another! Canada's Women's Ice Hockey Team has won gold.

And Scotland can also celebrate. Our first stringers include a Campbell and a MacLeod.

Jubilation here tonight.

George Brims
21-Feb-06, 03:21
For those of you who *don't* think you are too chicken to try it, if you ever get to Calgary, you can have a shot of the luge at the Olympic Park (even in summer). They don't set you off from the very top so you only get up to about 35mph instead of 80, but with your bum 3 inches off the ice, it certainly seems very fast. It is one of the coolest things I've ever tried.

wickerinca
21-Feb-06, 03:40
Well I wanted to go to Calgary anyway so that is another reason to go to add to my list!! When I watch it on tv I lean with them round every turn.....same with Formula One racing!......and you should see me at an Ice Hockey game!:grin:

canuck
22-Feb-06, 14:39
The latest has been in Women's Cross Country Skiing. I had no idea we had a chance at a cross country individual medal. Our ice maidens are certainly the strength of the Canadian contingent. "Crawford" could be a Scottish claim as well.

Whitewater
22-Feb-06, 14:54
Canada seems to be doing well, congratulations to you all. I will be glued to the TV tonight though to see if our Scots boys can get through in the curling, they have all played exceptionally well so far, I think we may have a chance of beating Finland. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed, maybe toes as well.

canuck
22-Feb-06, 18:48
I'll be right beside you on the cyber couch.

canuck
27-Feb-06, 01:17
Thank you everyone for letting me wave the Canadian flag here. In the end we came in 3rd with 24 medals.

Totalling all of the medalists from the Scottish diaspora probably put Scotland well up in the standings.

I'll see you all in Vancouver in 2010.

golach
27-Feb-06, 01:21
Thank you everyone for letting me wave the Canadian flag here. In the end we came in 3rd with 24 medals.

Totalling all of the medalists from the Scottish diaspora probably put Scotland well up in the standings.

I'll see you all in Vancouver in 2010.
LMAO, did you win.....the Quiz?

Moira
27-Feb-06, 01:24
Well done Canada! I thought you seemed a bit distracted at the Quiz tonight, Canuck. You'll be able to fully concentrate next week now that the Olympics are over ;)

canuck
27-Feb-06, 01:40
I'll be in there as long as they let me play streethockey in my shoes.

Moira
27-Feb-06, 01:47
Oh my goodness, Canuck - I'm sure they will. Who was credited with the point for roller-skates then? If you demand a recount of the scores you might be hosting the Quiz next week - lol [smirk]

canuck
27-Feb-06, 01:50
No, connie ruled it was rollerblades and her word as quizmistress is law.

DrSzin
27-Feb-06, 02:29
Connie was a toughie tonight. She wouldn't give me a point for Conniephobia as the name for dust-phobia. Lookie here:

Koniophobia- Fear of dust. (Amathophobia) (http://www.phobialist.com/#K-)

It was the second phobia question, so I thought it was a joke. :D

It's a pity I had to leave early. :(

canuck
27-Feb-06, 02:37
Next week you will surely be the winner. The main subject is latin.