PDA

View Full Version : broken charge port

newmonic
12-Feb-09, 21:41
Hi ive a dell inspioron 1300 laptop and where the charger plugs in the back of laptop the port is broken.
On stripping its all part of the circuit board does any one ken if you can buy the port and resolder back in the cicuit board ?
Or will i have to buy new circuit board nor laptop?

blueivy
12-Feb-09, 21:55
Hi ive a dell inspioron 1300 laptop and where the charger plugs in the back of laptop the port is broken.
On stripping its all part of the circuit board does any one ken if you can buy the port and resolder back in the cicuit board ?
Or will i have to buy new circuit board nor laptop?

Generally you will need a new motherboard however you may be able to simply buy the connector and solder it back on. It all depends on being able to get the parts - this will be your biggest problem I fear. A new motherboard will be easy enough to get but a small power socket is something else.

My suggestions would be to get it repaired by a professional.

newmonic
12-Feb-09, 22:18
Thanks for that blueivy.
Is my best bet to get a motherboard from dell or is it possible to get a cheaper one thats not oem?

blueivy
12-Feb-09, 22:24
Thanks for that blueivy.
Is my best bet to get a motherboard from dell or is it possible to get a cheaper one thats not oem?

Your best bet is to try and get a motherboard from a reliable source that is not Dell. While the Dell route may seem to be more reliable it is also more expensive. In all my years of buying parts for laptops, I've always went to a third party as it's cheaper and they generally give better service. That's been my experience anyway.

Google for it.

newmonic
28-Feb-09, 17:51
just an up date got price for motherboard for my laptop £320+vat from dell could not source a cheaper one else where so after umpteen phone calls
sourced the dc jack adaptor for less than a fiver got it soldered in this afternoon and laptop is back in action.
Well worth shopping around.:)

www.laptopandspares.co.uk (http://www.laptopandspares.co.uk) great service

blueivy
01-Mar-09, 21:11
just an up date got price for motherboard for my laptop £320+vat from dell could not source a cheaper one else where so after umpteen phone calls
sourced the dc jack adaptor for less than a fiver got it soldered in this afternoon and laptop is back in action.
Well worth shopping around.:)

www.laptopandspares.co.uk (http://www.laptopandspares.co.uk) great service

:-) Excellent news. Glad you got it working. Dell yet again never fails to impress me with how dreadful their spares prices are.

Next time I come across somebody with this problem I'll send them your way!