PDA

View Full Version : Italy v England

DW
11-Feb-06, 19:23
Hands up all those who are cheesed off with the sycophantic, chauvinistic rantings of these pathetic Englsh Broadcasting Corporation commentators?

[mad] [mad] [mad] [mad]

bigjjuk
11-Feb-06, 19:26
as they are english who do you think they should be talking about???? Now would the scottish commentators cheer on the opposition??????

philupmaboug
11-Feb-06, 19:43
Think you are right Bigjj, I support Scotland.........and whoever is playing England. Roll on the Callcutta Cup.

DW
11-Feb-06, 19:49
as they are english who do you think they should be talking about???? Now would the scottish commentators cheer on the opposition??????

The point is, commentators are meant to commentate, not rave on and on and on. They are paid to increase our enjoyment of the game, not to rave on about 'their' team.

It's about as dim as giving the english cricket team Honours for playing in a game that can only be played in by 2 teams? DDDuuhhhh.

Rheghead
11-Feb-06, 19:55
I remember Archie MacPherson raving about Scotland in the World cup finals, should that be a topic of derision as well?

~~Tides~~
11-Feb-06, 20:00
Crackin pair of games today tho. Good to see the usual wooden spooners playing a bit better this year. Anyone going to the Calcutta Cup?

jjc
11-Feb-06, 20:48
Hands up all those who are cheesed off with the sycophantic, chauvinistic rantings of these pathetic Englsh Broadcasting Corporation commentators? As opposed to the commentators of the match last Sunday who didn’t seem to be at all excited about Scotland’s performance? :eyes

Come off it, SweatyBetty… if you think that today’s commentary was any different to the commentary for the Scotland/France match then you and I were clearly either watching different matches or listening with different expectations – and as there was only one Italy/England match today I can only assume the latter.

Why is it that every time there is an international sporting fixture involving England some bitter individual seems to arrive on here to complain about it or wish the team a bad game? Frankly, it’s pathetic.

jjc
11-Feb-06, 20:50
Crackin pair of games today tho. Weren't they just. If only Ireland could have started their resurgence ten minutes earlier I think they might have had the match.

DrSzin
11-Feb-06, 21:00
I remember Archie MacPherson raving about Scotland in the World cup finals, should that be a topic of derision as well?Yes, I saw him doing just that last night.

Did anyone else watch last night's programme about the Scotland team in the 1974 World Cup? Gawd, that brought back memories of the summer of '74. I'd forgotten just how good they were, outplaying both Yugoslavia and Brazil at times. They were unbeaten in their 3 games and went out on goal difference by a single goal. It was perhaps the start of both the Tartan Army and the Glorious Scottish Defeat. Ach, those were the days...

DW
11-Feb-06, 21:08
SNIP

Why is it that every time there is an international sporting fixture involving England some bitter individual seems to arrive on here to complain about it or wish the team a bad game? Frankly, it’s pathetic.

OOOOOO000000000000000000000000000000000000000
http://www.ochils.com/images/others/images/chewinthefat.jpg

Saveman
11-Feb-06, 21:14
As opposed to the commentators of the match last Sunday who didn’t seem to be at all excited about Scotland’s performance? :eyes

Come off it, SweatyBetty… if you think that today’s commentary was any different to the commentary for the Scotland/France match then you and I were clearly either watching different matches or listening with different expectations – and as there was only one Italy/England match today I can only assume the latter.

To answer your question: Sometimes "the natives" post messages revealing their true feelings for the "auld enemy," that have been brought to the surface by bias where there should be objectivity. I'm not saying its right....just inevitable IMHO.

JAWS
11-Feb-06, 21:28
Yes, I saw him doing just that last night.

Did anyone else watch last night's programme about the Scotland team in the 1974 World Cup? Gawd, that brought back memories of the summer of '74. I'd forgotten just how good they were, outplaying both Yugoslavia and Brazil at times. They were unbeaten in their 3 games and went out on goal difference by a single goal. It was perhaps the start of both the Tartan Army and the Glorious Scottish Defeat. Ach, those were the days...
If I remember correctly it was Ali's Tartan Army and it did start that year. I don't know how it was done but it turned Scotland Supporters from a mob of Violent Drunken Scum which Countries dreaded into the fairly welcome generally well behaved Tartan Army of today.

The Scottish Team of that era must have been one of the best Scottish Teams ever. When they see the miserable specimens Scotland has to choose from nowadays they must be tempted to reach for their old strips and show them what National Pride is about.

thickrodney
11-Feb-06, 21:30
Hands up all those who are cheesed off with the sycophantic, chauvinistic rantings of these pathetic Englsh Broadcasting Corporation commentators?
[mad] [mad] [mad]

yes i agree, at times it does cheese you off.
However watching the ashes in the summer on channel 4 it was refreshing to listen to the commentators as they did just that, commentate.
the views put forth were unbiased and worth listening to. it kinda made the match a pleasure to watch and i must say i wanted england to win.
however i was cheesed off when they did win and the whole of the media went mad about england. the irony being one of the best player is from south africa.
bring on the world cup and once again BBCengland will get into a frenzy about who they will meet in the final only to get beat by the argies again:)

DrSzin
11-Feb-06, 21:45
If I remember correctly it was Ali's Tartan Army and it did start that year. I don't know how it was done but it turned Scotland Supporters from a mob of Violent Drunken Scum which Countries dreaded into the fairly welcome generally well behaved Tartan Army of today.

The Scottish Team of that era must have been one of the best Scottish Teams ever. When they see the miserable specimens Scotland has to choose from nowadays they must be tempted to reach for their old strips and show them what National Pride is about.No, no, no, Ally's Tartan Army was '78. That side wasn't bad either, as they showed in the last game against the Dutch. Remember THAT goal by Archie Gemmill? It was Peru and Iran that did for Ally and his army. And THAT song. :o

The most embarrassing thing is that I can still remember most of the words. This was obligatory when living in deepest Englandshire 'cause they didnae qualify. Cringes visibly...

As someone else pointed out, the team of '67 wisnae bad either.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
11-Feb-06, 22:15
I used to think that oor Archie macPherson was quite an intelligent bloke.Have you seen him lately on Scotsport on a Monday night those beige socks he wears.You are drawn to them,it doesn't matter what he's talking about,you can't hear him.
You try your best to concentrate on his lip movements,but no,once again your eyes are taken to the socks.The socks with hypnotic qualities:grin:

jjc
11-Feb-06, 22:28
Sometimes "the natives" post messages revealing their true feelings for the "auld enemy,"
I know... as one of the 'auld enemy' I had to put up with their children picking up on their prejudices and bringing them to school. :mad:

Cedric Farthsbottom III
11-Feb-06, 23:32
The Village People really are alive and well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Sweatybetty which video is your picture from?

DW
12-Feb-06, 00:53
http://www.ochils.com/images/others/images/chewinthefat.jpg