PDA

View Full Version : Highland Council considers Freezing Council Tax

Kodiak
12-Feb-09, 15:50
Highland councillors are to consider freezing council tax levels for the second year running.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/7883911.stm

K

mama2
12-Feb-09, 16:46
While I hate paying Council Tax, along with most folk, I can't help wondering what public services will be cut or affected to afford the Council Tax freeze??

poppett
12-Feb-09, 17:07
Buying grit for the roads seems to be a favourite option at the moment.

Kodiak
12-Feb-09, 17:10
Buying grit for the roads seems to be a favourite option at the moment.

Not so as the council have just ordered more salt for the roads :-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/7884330.stm

blackcat
12-Feb-09, 18:09
While I hate paying Council Tax, along with most folk, I can't help wondering what public services will be cut or affected to afford the Council Tax freeze??

A number of vital services will be cut - no doubt a 'top heavy' management structure will stay in place!

Job Evaluation is also going to impact on staff moral. Frontline sevices are very much under threat! :~(

fingalmacool
12-Feb-09, 18:18
A number of vital services will be cut - no doubt a 'top heavy' management structure will stay in place!

Job Evaluation is also going to impact on staff moral. Frontline sevices are very much under threat! :~(

Methinks its job Devaluation, there are not a lot of happy Bunnies in the Cooncil at this time:confused

porshiepoo
12-Feb-09, 18:50
What exactly we do we get for our money anyways?
We have to pay for our bins if we build a house, we can't grit delivered to the top of our road where it meets the A99 making it difficult to get out, we'll have our bins collected less and less once the whole recycling thing kicks in, we have more damage caused to our cars by the mad Feb/March digging up of roads in an attempt for the council to lose excess funds that may affect the amount they get this year....................... the list is endless.

Freezing it is the least they can do, drop it I say!

Venture
12-Feb-09, 18:54

It's been announced that 110 posts will go between Social Work and Education, Culture and Sport, affecting everyone from children to the elderly.

bobandag16
12-Feb-09, 18:56
Highland councillors are to consider freezing council tax levels for the second year running.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/7883911.stm

K

ordered does not mean getting share of the biggest region

telfordstar
12-Feb-09, 20:10
Methinks its job Devaluation, there are not a lot of happy Bunnies in the Cooncil at this time:confused

There are some who are a bit happy as well.

blackcat
12-Feb-09, 20:12

It is a double whammy for faithful and hard working council employees.

Cattach
12-Feb-09, 20:42

I can assure you there are many extra staff in Highland Council where reductions would save money. Lots unnecessary posts around in local government. Empires have grown. Eduvcation and Social Services in particuylar. Not those doing really essential jobs but all sorts of people supposedly supporting the other employee and the public.

blackcat
13-Feb-09, 10:34
I can assure you there are many extra staff in Highland Council where reductions would save money. Lots unnecessary posts around in local government. Empires have grown. Eduvcation and Social Services in particuylar. Not those doing really essential jobs but all sorts of people supposedly supporting the other employee and the public.

Totally agree. Unfortunately it is those individuals who seem to call the shots and cut the jobs of those delivering frontline services. They always seem to be able to protect themselves though!

Codwallop
13-Feb-09, 12:07
The freeze in council tax will no doubt be paid for by the paycut to admin staff that the council annonced last week. Now we havethe situation where office assistant are paid more than the clerical assistant that are in charge of them

blackcat
13-Feb-09, 13:01
There is a rumour that highland will be split into 2 areas instead of the present 3!

celtic lass
13-Feb-09, 22:23
i dont like the council tax either but frezzing it doesnt work last year it was the school cleaners that were cut those FOOLS that cuts the jobs should try doing the jobs that they are cutting oh but i forgot they are ABOVE THAT or so they think and as for the job evaul well that really is a waste of time theyve given in one hand and taken back in the other as i said already FOOLS[disgust]

theone
13-Feb-09, 22:50
There is a rumour that highland will be split into 2 areas instead of the present 3!

Inverness and everywhere else?

TBH
13-Feb-09, 22:56
Not so as the council have just ordered more salt for the roads :-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/7884330.stm
lol, after the snow has nearly gone.

Elenna
14-Feb-09, 02:04
Inverness and everywhere else?

I have to say, I had the very same thought!

poppett
14-Feb-09, 11:58
Next thing is the council will want "Town Councils" and "County Councils" back again.

robbain
14-Feb-09, 17:42
Have you notice in the Service point there is a sign up regarding that there will be a 2% admin charge for using a credit card starting from April.

Mik.M.
14-Feb-09, 22:16
Surely the easiest way to save the most money is sack the 10 highest paid council employees instead of making the ones who actually do the work take pay cuts.