PDA

View Full Version : TUNE UP - not coming to Thurso or Wick

The Pepsi Challenge
12-Feb-09, 13:48
Anyone here ever heard of the TUNE UP Tours? Anyone care? Well, for those of you who don't know, Alex Smoke of aptly-titled Hum+Haw Records has this to say about it:

“For us, TUNE UP is an opportunity to showcase our music to people who might otherwise not have a chance to hear it. It means that people are exposed to new forms of music that are normally denied to them, something which I believe is culturally important, and it also exposes us as a label to a new and receptive audience. This is really the basis of a strong future and we can't wait to get started.”

People who might otherwise not have a chance to hear it? TUNE UP was set up with the view of taking music - good, innovative, and acclaimed artists - to places that are normally deprived of such. To me, Thurso and Wick are deprived of this. Thurso is the biggest town outside of Inverness; Wick is not far behind. Take a look at the TUNE UP Tour list, then, and you'll see there are no shows planned for Thurso or Wick. There are two in Lyth Arts centre, but then, not everyone can afford to get to Lyth and back in the same night. And when you consider we're in a financial climate where our money, and where it goes, is being competed for, TUNE UP, in my eyes, is doing themselves no favours. But that's just my thoughts. Yours?

http://www.tuneup.org.uk/regions/highlands_and_islands

buddyrich
12-Feb-09, 14:17
Seems weird considering the other places they're visiting.

Although most of the pubs in thurso arent at all friendly to live music (newmarket/ynot being the notable exception) surely a venue wouldnt be hard to secure.

Is the refurbed town hall any use for live events or is it just a dounreay exhibition now? I live about thirty seconds away and havent been in for a look yet.

Chobbersjnr
12-Feb-09, 14:30
TUNE UP tours brought us Aberfeldy + Sandy Wright & then brought us the Roddy Hart band both of which were in their own right fantastic. Aberfeldy wasn't exactly my cup of crawfish but they were good & tight. Roddy Hart's band was exceptional.

TPC remember the gig we played in the Jazz Bar..........there was a band on before us with a female singer?? remember?? the drummer in that band plays with Roddy Hart.

tis a shame the tours aren't coming this far north as we had very good numbers for both gigs.

The Pepsi Challenge
12-Feb-09, 14:39
TUNE UP tours brought us Aberfeldy + Sandy Wright & then brought us the Roddy Hart band both of which were in their own right fantastic. Aberfeldy wasn't exactly my cup of crawfish but they were good & tight. Roddy Hart's band was exceptional.

TPC remember the gig we played in the Jazz Bar..........there was a band on before us with a female singer?? remember?? the drummer in that band plays with Roddy Hart.

tis a shame the tours aren't coming this far north as we had very good numbers for both gigs.

Were these Tune Up tours at your place? And if so, was it by private invitation, or was it open to the public?

I remember the band in the jazz bar; just can't remember the singer. Mind, female jazz singers a ten-a-penny. Which reminds me, do you know many female jazz musicians? I know Laura MacDonald, Auriol, and Sophie Bancroft. Let me know if you do. Am thinking of writing a piece on woman in jazz.

WeeRob
12-Feb-09, 14:41

Aye but Isaac those gigs were at the Lighthouse, which isn't in Wick or Thurso either!

You're right about Roddy Hart - good guy, good musician and I'm sure you gave a good welcome! Probably had his mind blown by all your equipment for one thing.

I'm actually glad its coming to Lyth Arts Centre. It's a credit to the county and has had its funding cut recently so the more use the better.

Chobbersjnr
13-Feb-09, 03:50
Aye but Isaac those gigs were at the Lighthouse, which isn't in Wick or Thurso either!

You're right about Roddy Hart - good guy, good musician and I'm sure you gave a good welcome! Probably had his mind blown by all your equipment for one thing.

I'm actually glad its coming to Lyth Arts Centre. It's a credit to the county and has had its funding cut recently so the more use the better.

indeed but the point is Tune up brought these 2 bands to us THIS FAR NORTH, & they are not this time wether it be to us, Wick or Thurso & pepsi they were indeed open to the public as it was publicised on the huge tune up banners that went up at every gig & on the web page 1st off.