PDA

View Full Version : problems after Dog Boosters.

router
12-Feb-09, 12:47
Yesterday we took the OH's pride to the vet for his yearly booster. He is now 1 yr old and never had a problem with his injections when he was a puppy. But after his booster he has done nothing but sleep. This morning he was not his usual self, he could barely stand, was falling all over the place and was very lethargic. We immediately phoned the vets and took him back down.
His temp is up and hes been put on some anti-inflamatories for the next three days.

Has anyone else had this problem, my Oh is distraut as its her baby, and he looks so out of colour.

teenybash
12-Feb-09, 13:49
Poor thing..........hope all is well soon. Maybe something doggy has picked up and not connected to booster. Think lots of cuddles might be the prescription for the next couple of days. Keep us updated on progress.

neepnipper
12-Feb-09, 14:03
I'd agree, probably just a coincidence, I've never had any probs with my dogs (all 9 of them!) and their boosters, though you'll probably get someone saying boosters are evil things and don't do it!

Hope Tank is soon back to himself.

router
12-Feb-09, 14:06
cheers. we did wonder if he had picked up a chill with the snow and all but it just seems to have come on after the booster. the vet mentioned maybe next year trying him with the boosters seperately, to see if that helps.

The oh is spoiling him rotten at the mo maybe i should get ill to get some attention aswell.:lol:

router
12-Feb-09, 14:09
I'd agree, probably just a coincidence, I've never had any probs with my dogs (all 9 of them!) and their boosters, though you'll probably get someone saying boosters are evil things and don't do it!

Hope Tank is soon back to himself.

He will get his boosters every year as i know it is needed for his protection, but it is hard to see him like this.You know how much tank means to our family one of the kids so to speak

crustyroll
13-Feb-09, 12:51
A dog can take a bad reaction to a booster even though they've been fine previously. What a lot of pet owners don't know is that you MUST NOT give a vaccination of anysort if the dog is not 100% healthy at the time.
Unfortunately that's not always easy to tell as they could be developing something when you take them along. As their immune system is already compromised and working harder to deal with whatever bug they have picked up the vaccination can be just a little too much for their bodies to deal with, hence a reaction. It could also be a bad vaccine, it does happen and there are not enough reported cases going back to the vaccine manufacturers. Dont always assume that a dog wont take a reaction to a vaccine and that it's probably a 'bug'.

Try not to put anymore harsh chemicals into his system at the moment and let his immune system recover and do the work it's meant to do. Lots of rest, warmth and attention will help him lots, like the rest of us..lol

crustyroll
13-Feb-09, 12:55
though you'll probably get someone saying boosters are evil things and don't do it!

:lol: Well I have to say I am one of those.... but everyone has the right to believe what they do and do as they see fit. What works for some dogs does not work for others and I'm open minded enough to understand this and am always willing to learn and be proved otherwise.

Liz
13-Feb-09, 13:51
:lol: Well I have to say I am one of those.... but everyone has the right to believe what they do and do as they see fit. What works for some dogs does not work for others and I'm open minded enough to understand this and am always willing to learn and be proved otherwise.

Me too Crustyroll!:lol: As you say though we all have the right to do as we see fit and I decided, after lots and lots of research, not to give my pets vaccination boosters but homeopathic nosodes.

Router I really hope your dog makes a quick recovery.

crustyroll
13-Feb-09, 17:22
I decided, after lots and lots of research, not to give my pets vaccination boosters but homeopathic nosodes.

Liz,

I am the same, in fact I'm just going to start a new round of Parvo & Distemper nosodes on all my dogs. I have Kennel Cough nosodes too but usually keep them for any outbreaks of KC.

When looking back on old vets bills I've realised that my dogs that have had conventional vaccinations, have had far more vet treatments than my dogs who have not had conventional vaccinations.

router
13-Feb-09, 17:35
Just to say that Tank is feeling better today.He is on tabs to keep his temp down.He is stronger on his legs and is eating.

We dont believe he had anything brewing before the vaccine as he had been his bounding self in the vets, only 2 hrs after did he start to go off colour.

Crustyroll you are right to have your opinion and i respect that, i have always had my dogs vaccinated each year with no problems, and tank will get his yearly booster next year but in seperate vaccines over a 2 week period to see if this helps. Unfortunately we have had a few outbreaks of parvovirus where we are and am not willing to put Tanks health and life in danger for the sake of non vaccination.

I do think other remedies are good for dogs but sometimes just like children a chemical is what it takes to help them stay healthy and build up a good immune system:)

porshiepoo
13-Feb-09, 19:11
Liz,

I am the same, in fact I'm just going to start a new round of Parvo & Distemper nosodes on all my dogs. I have Kennel Cough nosodes too but usually keep them for any outbreaks of KC.

When looking back on old vets bills I've realised that my dogs that have had conventional vaccinations, have had far more vet treatments than my dogs who have not had conventional vaccinations.

I'd love to know where you get those from as I really would like to change mine over from the conventional vaccinations.

Liz
13-Feb-09, 19:14
I'd love to know where you get those from as I really would like to change mine over from the conventional vaccinations.

Porshiepoo you can get them from Ainsworths but I now get mine from a homeopath as his only has to be given once a year whereas the others have to be given every month.
Not sure where Crustyroll gets hers?

If you want the details of the homeopath I use just pm me. Unfortunately he is away staying with family in Australia until March.

crustyroll
13-Feb-09, 20:22
I get my nosodes from Ainsworth and I do give them once a month, but you only give them for a period of 6 months, take a break of 6 months and then start again. It would be easier just to give them once a year so I may pester Liz for information..lol

Router... is the vet actually going to do a Parvo and Distemper separately? I was always led to believe that the vets will not do these separately? I've not heard of an outbreak of Parvo in Wick but I'd gladly be corrected?

I would say the fact that he was ill only hours after the jab makes me believe it was highly likely to be cause! I'm not questioning your beliefs but please be aware, vaccinations can cause severe reactions, death and cancers. Not all science is good science and long held beliefs should always be questioned. It's better to ask and maybe look silly rather than loosing your beloved pet to a 'routine' that as pet owners we are expected to follow without question at all.

router
13-Feb-09, 22:08
My oh has looked at all possibiliteis in this situation as Tank is her buddy.He helped her get over PND and she would never do anything to harm him or put him at risk

She now has another full year to decide what is best for tank, but the vet was quite happy to do them seperately 2 weeks apart.

there was a parvo outbreak last summer in wick in the pulteny side. a few dogs got it around us but luckily tank had his vaccines.

He is much better tonight.Oh has been lashing him with love and hes on his bed below her feet.

neepnipper
13-Feb-09, 22:25
I get my nosodes from Ainsworth and I do give them once a month, but you only give them for a period of 6 months, take a break of 6 months and then start again. It would be easier just to give them once a year so I may pester Liz for information..lol

Router... is the vet actually going to do a Parvo and Distemper separately? I was always led to believe that the vets will not do these separately? I've not heard of an outbreak of Parvo in Wick but I'd gladly be corrected?

I would say the fact that he was ill only hours after the jab makes me believe it was highly likely to be cause! I'm not questioning your beliefs but please be aware, vaccinations can cause severe reactions, death and cancers. Not all science is good science and long held beliefs should always be questioned. It's better to ask and maybe look silly rather than loosing your beloved pet to a 'routine' that as pet owners we are expected to follow without question at all.

Ok, I'll agree there may have been a reaction to the vacs, but I would much sooner have my dogs vaccinated and be sure they are not going to die a painful death from parvo etc, I am not stupid and do not always follow the herd as you are suggesting, I have looked in to vaccinations and any side affects they may have and have made my decision, I knew you would come and disagree as you always do when anyone posts about vaccinating their dogs, we will have to agree to disagree as usual on this one!

Oh, by the way, the vet does give separate vacs, my dog had them last time as they had run out of the combined one.

binbob
13-Feb-09, 23:39
Ok, I'll agree there may have been a reaction to the vacs, but I would much sooner have my dogs vaccinated and be sure they are not going to die a painful death from parvo etc, I am not stupid and do not always follow the herd as you are suggesting, I have looked in to vaccinations and any side affects they may have and have made my decision, I knew you would come and disagree as you always do when anyone posts about vaccinating their dogs, we will have to agree to disagree as usual on this one!

Oh, by the way, the vet does give separate vacs, my dog had them last time as they had run out of the combined one.

i had a 7 year old cocker,jack..very fit healthy dog...i showed him..great fun.then 14 days after his booster ,he went down with thrombocytopenia..he had absolutely NO platelets and bled to death............it was a very painful illness and he suffered.
i can never prove the booster was responsible..i will let u make up ur own minds.

since then..only my puppies were vacc...no problems.....but i have lost unvacc.cockers to cancer...so not due to boosters.
i think life is just a lotterry and we must do as we see fit for our dogs.
hope tank will be fine....also vets can do blood tests before any boosters ,to check immunity levels and vacc.accordingly.so there is another option.........:Razz

crustyroll
14-Feb-09, 12:27
I am not stupid and do not always follow the herd as you are suggesting, I have looked in to vaccinations and any side affects they may have and have made my decision, I knew you would come and disagree as you always do when anyone posts about vaccinating their dogs, we will have to agree to disagree as usual on this one!

I am not suggesting any individual is following the herd, more the general public as a whole over vaccinations. There are more and more people doing their own research into vaccination and the side affects but how many dont? That's really the point I'm trying to make, each individual has to do what's right for them as long as they have ALL the information to hand. I'm only trying to let people know that there are alternatives and we shouldn't be made to feel guilty for vaccinating or not vaccinating our dogs. We should always be willing to learn and open our minds to different ideas.

i think life is just a lotterry and we must do as we see fit for our dogs.
hope tank will be fine....also vets can do blood tests before any boosters ,to check immunity levels and vacc.accordingly.so there is another option.........:Razz

Yep, I do think life is like that... there are pitfalls to the titre tests as well but they are a useful addition to any future vaccination protocols.