PDA

View Full Version : They are picking on me!

ShelleyCowie
12-Feb-09, 11:50
Recently i joined another forum...a reptile forum actually.

I have decided to get a pet turtle but wanted as much information as possible on the breed that i want. So i started a thread on the forum and they have all jumped down my throat advising i have no idea how to look after one.

Well the word DUH springs to mind because thats why i was asking! I have been constantly reading on the internet about every breed and the care, diet, enviroment requirments that each breed will need. I am not even considering getting one until i am fully confident that i can care for it properly and have the right knowledge!

But they are all being a bit nasty sending me private messages! :~(

Why cant they all be as nice as the org!!!

golach
12-Feb-09, 11:59
Sadly Shelly, you are beginning to learn the facts of Life, but you still young enough to learn more.
All the reading and perusing of the Internet will not make anyone an expert in any subject. Looking after any pet especially reptiles is not an easy task, so the "Experts" on the Reptile forum will probably be giving you good advice, dont take it to heart.

ShelleyCowie
12-Feb-09, 12:06
Sadly Shelly, you are beginning to learn the facts of Life, but you still young enough to learn more.
All the reading and perusing of the Internet will not make anyone an expert in any subject. Looking after any pet especially reptiles is not an easy task, so the "Experts" on the Reptile forum will probably be giving you good advice, dont take it to heart.

Yeah i understand they are experts but the thread i started has completely changed! They are mailing me calling me a "yank" and im trying to explain i am scottish!! But they dont believe me! They are calling me "yank scum"

Also saying "you yanks are not welcome to this forum so just close the window and delete your profile"

:(

Penelope Pitstop
12-Feb-09, 12:06
Simple....just don't log on to the site again!!

golach
12-Feb-09, 12:11
Yeah i understand they are experts but the thread i started has completely changed! They are mailing me calling me a "yank" and im trying to explain i am scottish!! But they dont believe me! They are calling me "yank scum"

Also saying "you yanks are not welcome to this forum so just close the window and delete your profile"

Your learning quick Shelly not everyone in the world loves each other,even on the Org, try to search for a UK reptile web site, there may be one out there

shazzap
12-Feb-09, 12:20
Hi Shelley
What a load of !!!!!!!!!!!!! thats for whatever derogatory word springs to mind.
You will learn there are a lot of nasty people out there in the big wide world. If the forum you joined are so insular i suggest you treat them with the contempt they deserve and delete your info.

Shabbychic
12-Feb-09, 12:20
I noticed on the pet section you say you fancy a Horsfield Turtle. Here in the UK they are called Horsefield Tortoises, so that is probably why they think you are American.

It is still very rude of them to diss you even if you were American. I would find another forum if I were you.

ShelleyCowie
12-Feb-09, 12:24
I noticed on the pet section you say you fancy a Horsfield Turtle. Here in the UK they are called Horsefield Tortoises, so that is probably why they think you are American.

It is still very rude of them to diss you even if you were American. I would find another forum if I were you.

Yeah i just realised they call them tortoises! I just cant get out of my ways as to calling them all turtles!! Lol! I know they are completely different but just cant help it! :lol:

router
12-Feb-09, 12:26
Dont loose any sleep over it.you get muppets on every forum who think they no better than everyone else.

Maybe you could try this one, the OH uses it for her snakes and they are all fantastic.

http://scottishreptileforums.co.uk/.

They are good for advice and they help as much as they can.

Good luck.

ShelleyCowie
12-Feb-09, 12:31
Dont loose any sleep over it.you get muppets on every forum who think they no better than everyone else.

Maybe you could try this one, the OH uses it for her snakes and they are all fantastic.

http://scottishreptileforums.co.uk/.

They are good for advice and they help as much as they can.

Good luck.

Thanks Router!

I will try this one!

Also replied to your PM! ;)

Bazeye
12-Feb-09, 17:42
What was the forum? Im bored and fancy an argument. :lol:

joxville
12-Feb-09, 18:02

Look on the bright side, they could have accused you of being English. [lol]

ShelleyCowie
12-Feb-09, 18:25
It is http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/

i think im gonna stick to the org! Its between Jox and Gizmo to pick on me! No anybody else's! Lol! [lol]

brandy
12-Feb-09, 18:31
whats the name of the post?

ShelleyCowie
12-Feb-09, 18:37
Its http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/shelled-turtles-tortoise/254156-advice-please.html

They are only a little bitty nasty on there. It was mainly Pm's i got! :(

George Brims
12-Feb-09, 18:41
Sounds to me like the people on that forum *are* reptiles, rather than reptile owners. Apologies to any reptiles who may be offended by the comparison.

brandy
12-Feb-09, 18:42
why dont you contact the mderator with copies of the pms?

ShelleyCowie
12-Feb-09, 18:56
why dont you contact the mderator with copies of the pms?

Is there much point! Think i will just use the place to look for info instead o askin for it!

alanabain
12-Feb-09, 19:15
Is there much point! Think i will just use the place to look for info instead o askin for it!

Forums are for asking and discussing things tho.

Dont be put off by them shelley.... u can handle it :lol:

hotrod4
12-Feb-09, 19:38
I wouldnt worry about it Shelley, I am a proud Reptile keeper and we're not all Ogres (or Orgers!). Reptiles can be hard but everybody has to start somewhere,Luckily I got mine from a guy who gave me all the Gen that i needed and also from reading "Care sheets" on loads of different forums without actually posting.
Cold blooded are definitely friendlier than the Warm blooded variety!!!![lol]

biker5
12-Feb-09, 19:48
Hey shelley, i have a baby hermanns tort and my bro has a horsfield.
any info u need just pm me i will help as much as i can.
Some of them reptile forums are ridiculous as they think every1 is incapable unless u have been doing it for years.
i think its a piece of P really to look after a tort once u read up about them although u always learn more and more as u go.
just gotta be carefull with their diet.

ShelleyCowie
12-Feb-09, 19:49
I wouldnt worry about it Shelley, I am a proud Reptile keeper and we're not all Ogres (or Orgers!). Reptiles can be hard but everybody has to start somewhere,Luckily I got mine from a guy who gave me all the Gen that i needed and also from reading "Care sheets" on loads of different forums without actually posting.
Cold blooded are definitely friendlier than the Warm blooded variety!!!![lol]

Yeah i have been reading lots of care sheets! Want as much info as possible!

I think they are picking because i am obviosuly a beginner. But as you said we all need to start somewhere!!

And as i said before i would never consider taking on a reptile unless i was completely confident i could care for it properly! Hence why i will likely be waiting a while!!

ShelleyCowie
12-Feb-09, 19:55
Hey shelley, i have a baby hermanns tort and my bro has a horsfield.
any info u need just pm me i will help as much as i can.
Some of them reptile forums are ridiculous as they think every1 is incapable unless u have been doing it for years.
i think its a piece of P really to look after a tort once u read up about them although u always learn more and more as u go.
just gotta be carefull with their diet.

Sent u a PM! ;)

Moonboots
12-Feb-09, 20:06
I am not even considering getting one until i am fully confident that i can care for it properly and have the right knowledge!

Dont you think you need to look after yourself first shelley [lol]

alanabain
12-Feb-09, 20:07
Dont you think you need to look after yourself first shelley [lol]

Na shes alright moonboots!

She mastered that a week ago. Athrun has been caring for her until then!

LOL :lol:

Moonboots
12-Feb-09, 20:10
Na shes alright moonboots!

She mastered that a week ago. Athrun has been caring for her until then!

LOL :lol:

Are you sure cause she doesnt look like it [lol]

Vistravi
12-Feb-09, 20:28
Why do people think that they can sent others nasty pms and get away with it?[evil]

The nerve of some people, honestly they wouldn't like it if someone did it t them:mad:

I've had a problem with that on the org but i reported the peson to the mods and they sorted the person out.

I think you should reort those members pms t the moderators of the site shelley. They should not get away with treating anyone like that. Its petty and childish behaviour to hide behind a pm. Shows that they don't have much else to do but nitpick at other people.

ShelleyCowie
13-Feb-09, 00:37
Dont worry Moonboots i can take care o myself! ;) Which surely means i can care for a wee tortoise too!

I just did not know there was so many nasty people out there! Im too used to the org i think! LOL!

riggerboy
13-Feb-09, 00:43
Recently i joined another forum...a reptile forum actually.

I have decided to get a pet turtle but wanted as much information as possible on the breed that i want. So i started a thread on the forum and they have all jumped down my throat advising i have no idea how to look after one.

Well the word DUH springs to mind because thats why i was asking! I have been constantly reading on the internet about every breed and the care, diet, enviroment requirments that each breed will need. I am not even considering getting one until i am fully confident that i can care for it properly and have the right knowledge!

But they are all being a bit nasty sending me private messages! :~(

Why cant they all be as nice as the org!!!

you just have to much to say about everthing, get a life for god sake,

ShelleyCowie
13-Feb-09, 00:45
you just have to much to say about everthing, get a life for god sake,

I would rather not get "jip" (Being nice for the org sake) from somebody here! So if you will...please refrain from telling me to get a life! I HAVE ONE!

If there is one thing i hate...its being told to get a life! If i have something to say then gosh darn it....i will say it!

Just dont read my threads/posts! [evil]

joxville
13-Feb-09, 00:50
It is http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/

i think im gonna stick to the org! Its between Jox and Gizmo to pick on me! No anybody else's! Lol! [lol]

If you're the Good and I'm the Bad who is............Och, forget it. [lol]

ShelleyCowie
13-Feb-09, 00:53

Katie Melua! ;)

Gizmo
13-Feb-09, 00:54

Thin ice Jox...very thin ice :lol:

changilass
13-Feb-09, 00:56
oooohhh Shelly, that is dicing with death that is :lol:

Jox will never speak to you again

joxville
13-Feb-09, 00:57
Katie Melua! ;)
I'm shocked you would even think that, never mind publish it. Do you realise how much that hurts? I seen your pic on snow thread and thought you looked an attractive young woman, butter wouldn't melt etc. I'll have to re-evaluate my opinion now. :(

ShelleyCowie
13-Feb-09, 00:57
oooohhh Shelly, that is dicing with death that is :lol:

Jox will never speak to you again

Of course he will! ;) Im much luved! haha!!!

He picks on me....i pick on him!

ShelleyCowie
13-Feb-09, 00:59
I'm shocked you would even think that, never mind publish it. Do you realise how much that hurts? I seen your pic on snow thread and thought you looked an attractive young woman, butter wouldn't melt etc. I'll have to re-evaluate my opinion now. :(

Awww Jox am sorry! I didna mean it! Honest!

I am a mini fan of Katie Melua myself! ;)

And butter would't melt....i'v tried it! [lol]

joxville
13-Feb-09, 01:05
Awww Jox am sorry! I didna mean it! Honest!

I am a mini fan of Katie Melua myself! ;)

And butter would't melt....i'v tried it! [lol]

1. Apology accepted.
2. Are you only 18 inches tall?
3. Yuk.

joxville
13-Feb-09, 01:06
Thin ice Jox...very thin ice :lol:
An' a canny skate either. Bitter experience that wis tae.

ShelleyCowie
13-Feb-09, 01:07
1. Apology accepted.
2. Are you only 18 inches tall?
3. Yuk.

1. Grand to hear! ;)
2. I wish, then i can class myself as a borrower! But u have seen a pic of me. Im over 18 inches tall
3. i love butter! We all love clover....its the way that its churned! ;)

joxville
13-Feb-09, 01:11
I'm off to bed. Aside from the fact I have a 6.30am start, I'm still getting over the shock of a few mins ago.

ShelleyCowie
13-Feb-09, 01:12
I'm off to bed. Aside from the fact I have a 6.30am start, I'm still getting over the shock of a few mins ago.

Aw shucks....Jox i still feel bad! :~( Again am sorry! What can we do til cheer you up?

Sorry to hear u are up so early! :(

joxville
13-Feb-09, 01:22
Aw shucks....Jox i still feel bad! :~( Again am sorry! What can we do til cheer you up?

Sorry to hear u are up so early! :(

1. Buy me a new Lamborghini.
2. Next week I'm 9 tae 6. Not my hours-the age you make me feel. [lol]

focus
13-Feb-09, 01:36
maybe the reason you received some negative comments in that thread (i am not excusing or condoning any rude pm's) is that some of your comments make you sound a bit wishy washy
to call a tortoise a turtle makes you sound like you don't have a clue, i'm sorry to be so blunt, but it sounds a bit like Paris Hilton giggling her way through choosing new shoes

reptileforum users regularly 'rescue' reps from people who have gone and bought a 'life long' pet on a whim then have had to get rid of them or have failed to look after them correctly.

log back into reptileforums and make your intentions clear, you have as much right to a reptile as anyone, you've researched it and have beaten oh into submission !!

or ....

create a new login, use the correct terms/jargon to assure people you have read the relevant care sheets then see how different the responses are...

Rie
13-Feb-09, 16:58
How did all thease people on the forum start ?? they were not born with the knowledge of how to look after reptiles,
You would think (like on lost forums) they would be happy to help and advise to ensure correct care of their "beloved" reptiles not put down any one seeking help and advice.
shelley i can understand how upsetting an experiance like that would have been , but honestly would you want to be part of such a group???
i hope you find the advice you need in a friendly place and dont let the others get to you too much, live in the knowledge that you were doing the right thing!!

mrs and mr brown
14-Feb-09, 18:28
its a sorry state if someone cant ask for advice on something with out getting all the nasty things people say{ write}. whats more shocking is that this is coming from adults, its heartbreaking to hear that somones child is getting bullied, but its grown people that should know better that are doing this, how can we teach our children to not be nasty about other children and that everyone aint good at somthing there better at something else ECT, children look to adults to see how they should behave and if that adult aint doing a good job ie, picking on someone then the poor child doesnt stand a chance.

***rant over****lol

ShelleyCowie
14-Feb-09, 19:33
It is a bit of a low thing to do! And Rie i thought too that they would want me to get it right. From most other threads i have read they can be defensive. Especially for the people that were asking about DWA animals.

They seem to think none of the new people are "ready" for a reptile. Where else am i supposed to start? Treat a boiled egg as a tortoise until they think i am completely ready for a reptile?! Just to make sure i dont drop it or anything! :roll: Some people.....

Unfortunately my reptile dreams are on hold and am looking for a kitten just now to keep my cat company. Then in the summer i will think about getting a reptile! :Razz I really do want a snake though! The OH is definetely not keen!

I blame Router!! [lol]