PDA

View Full Version : Broadband Problems

Rheghead
12-Feb-09, 10:22
I'm having a bit of bother with my broadband. The internet red light keeps coming on on the router and no connection to internet and sometimes the green light stays on and the speed is very slow and sometimes I get connection errors coming up when the green light is on. Is it just a geographical problem in west Caithness or is there something wrong with my own connection or the weather?

What seems strange is that I have no bother connecting to the Org, in fact the Org is about the only site I can connect to. lol Have I been sent to cyber purgatory?? lol

Thanks in advance.

blueivy
12-Feb-09, 11:19
I'm having a bit of bother with my broadband. The internet red light keeps coming on on the router and no connection to internet and sometimes the green light stays on and the speed is very slow and sometimes I get connection errors coming up when the green light is on. Is it just a geographical problem in west Caithness or is there something wrong with my own connection or the weather?

What seems strange is that I have no bother connecting to the Org, in fact the Org is about the only site I can connect to. lol Have I been sent to cyber purgatory?? lol

Thanks in advance.

You will probably find it is the weather.

BT have declared a 'situation beyond our control' for broadband issues starting last week and that finished yesterday (from memory). This means that BT know there will be problems and won't be able to resolve them within their standard timeframe. I've not had an update as yet so I don't

If it's been going on longer than that I'd giove your ISP a call and see if they can resolve it as it's probably down to line problems. However my feeling is that BT will probably say it's a weather problem and not touch it yet.

Green_not_greed
12-Feb-09, 11:46

Thanks in advance.

My connection is fine and no problems (other end of the village....)

Two questions - (1) who is your ISP provider and (2) is it only your internet light or is your ADSL light also coming up red occassionally?

Green_not_greed
13-Feb-09, 09:47
Rheghead

To follow up - if your ADSL light is on all the time then your link to the outside (broadband connection) is OK. I presume your phone line has had no problems?

So given that if you are being disconnected from the internet it's either your ISP or your computer.

To check your computer hasn't picked up something it shouldn't, I'd recommend downloading and running the free Malwarebytes programme

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

It will identify any problems at your end.

If it doesn't pick up anything untoward, I'd call your ISP provider and ask if they have had or are having problems. I had terrible problems with AOL last year and only on calling them found out that they were changing over servers and lost a good part of the UK for a day or two.

Good luck

GNG

Rheghead
13-Feb-09, 10:10
Thanks, everything was working ok last night, but the problem has returned again.

blueivy
13-Feb-09, 16:32
Thanks, everything was working ok last night, but the problem has returned again.

If you are using an ethernet router the problem is likely to be your line or your ISP. If it's a USB modem (and not a router as you mentioned in the first post) connected via USB the problem is still likely to be your line or ISP, but it could also be your computer.

Call your ISP and log the problem and they will take it from there.

Rheghead
13-Feb-09, 18:49
Thanks, I definitely think its the line now as my iPod is having the very same probs with wifi though my puter is connected ethernet LAN. The error with the iPod gives 'Server stopped'. There were guys working outside on the underground cabling for the street lighting yesterday, I wonder if they've gone through a broadband cable? It won't be the first time something like that happened.:~(