PDA

View Full Version : Donald Grant rector Thurso High

duncana
11-Feb-09, 21:11
Does anyone know when/where Donald Grant died and where I can find an obituary online?
Duncana

alfie
11-Feb-09, 21:25
Does anyone know when/where Donald Grant died and where I can find an obituary online?
Duncana

Donald died at home (Clarence Street Thurso) in the early 80's-no idea if there was an obituary! but he was a gentleman.

rich
11-Feb-09, 21:48
He wrote a little book called Old Thurso. In fact I have one! It is out of print now but there are lots of copies in second hand book stores. So just type in Donald Grant Old Thurso and see what you can come up with.
I believe he was born, or spent his childhood in Kirtomy in North West Sutherland. I have a memore of going trout fishing with him and my father in this area. I also remember his encyclopedic (at least to me!) knowledge of the plant world.
If I really crank up my aging brain I seem to remember he was a math teacher in Edinburgh for many years but yearned heart and soul to be back in the North of Scotland so his securing the headmastership in Thurso was the answer to his dreams.

Loafer
11-Feb-09, 22:21
Donald died at home (Clarence Street Thurso) in the early 80's-no idea if there was an obituary! but he was a gentleman.

Interesting, I believe I now live in his old house!

The Loafer

Errogie
13-Feb-09, 18:28
Donald Grant also composed Caithness Dialect poetry under the pen name "Castlegreen" and did a very painful line in twisting boys ears when handing out report cards to classes. He was also a keen fisher and I can remember him catching a 5 pound trout from Loch Calder.

I think I would have enjoyed his company if I had known him as an adult.

Alex. Sutherland