PDA

View Full Version : Salmonella warning for reptile keepers and fish keepers.

router
11-Feb-09, 13:42
Was asked the other day as to which would be the best kind of aqautic species to get between, Terrapins and Turtles. After doing some research i have found that Turtles are known to carry the salmonella bug.

I also found that when buying a fishtank and setting it up the salmonella bacteria can be present. We buy our kids small fish tanks, or terapins and turtles without actually realising they can be a problem.
We have a snake and our hands have to be disinfected, before and after holding him as not to spread the disease.
before buying any aqautic pets or reptiles, please make sure you understand the guidelines of health and safety. Even putting your hand in a fishtank can put you at risk of salmonella.

For the question asker:
Terrapins are better than turtles and pose less of a risk.;)although they are known to smell abit.

ShelleyCowie
11-Feb-09, 20:53
Thanks for all this router! :) Still trying to twist the OH's arm into getting a snake! Was showing him corn snakes earlier but he was too creeped out but maybe he will come around!

Looking at a yellow belly turtle maybe? Have heard alot about them and have been looking on the internet all day for information! Also looking at vivariums and things! Obviously babys dont need a huge viv to start with but will build up to one! Also joined www.reptileforums.co.uk (http://www.reptileforums.co.uk) for lots of info! :Razz

Thanks for your help and advice!

router
11-Feb-09, 21:19
more on the salmonella
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/item.php?news=908

focus
11-Feb-09, 22:13
this is where we got our gecko from ...
http://birnies-petshop.co.uk/default.aspx
it's our 'local' reptile shop, they're excellent, really helpful
means a day out and a tank of fuel, but they can beat a lot of the internet prices
they had terrapins in stock last time we were there shelley

Shabbychic
12-Feb-09, 01:23
We had terrapins when my boys were young and I really wouldn't recommend them as pets. They start off the size of a 50p and grow to the size of a dinner plate, and it is difficult getting a tank to fit them.

They are not friendly or cuddly but can in fact be very vicious. They have a beak rather than a mouth and watching them ripping up meat will give you an idea what could happen to little fingers if they get in the way.

The tank must be cleaned out regularly as the food they leave uneaten smells quickly. Their shell must be cleaned regularly (I used a soft toothbrush) to prevent the build up of algae.

Some terrapins carry Salmonella and some don't, but it's impossible to tell which ones carry the bug, so great care should always be taken when touching anything in the tank.

Tank care can be a nightmare. We regularly had to replace the thermostat as it appeared to be a great source of entertainment as a sparring partner. We also had a problem keeping one of them in the tank. It would climb up the sunning rock and push the lid off the tank. Next it would struggle up and out the tank, land on the table then hurl itself onto the floor. Then it was hunt the terrapin. On one occassion the dog found it and received a bloody nose for his trouble.

Their favourite food was cheese and worms. [disgust]

What also should be remembered is that terrapins can live up to 20 years.

So all in all, unless someone is really dedicated to long term care, I would not recommend terrapins as pets.

Dadie
12-Feb-09, 01:51
i have always fancied a tortoise as a pet but have never really looked into it !

ShelleyCowie
12-Feb-09, 12:02
I have always wanted one too! Horsfield Turtles seem to be a favourite on some places im looking!

I have recently joined a reptile forum to get some more info but they all seem to be ded set on picking on me instead of helping! :eek:

Jovi
12-Feb-09, 12:40
I had 2red eared sliders for over 25yrs and they were the size of dinner plates. You do have to be aware of hygiene, but it does help if they are fed in a seperate tank which prevents food decaying in their main tank. :)

focus
12-Feb-09, 16:18
Jovi and Shabby are quite right, commitment is the word here as a lot of reptiles can live 20+ years.

the reptile forum is usually a very friendly, helpful place, but they maybe sniffed out a lack of commitment and picked on you in order to put you off...

you could babysit our Hobbes for a week in easter as a taster if ya like ;)

router
12-Feb-09, 19:05
Jovi and Shabby are quite right, commitment is the word here as a lot of reptiles can live 20+ years.

the reptile forum is usually a very friendly, helpful place, but they maybe sniffed out a lack of commitment and picked on you in order to put you off...

you could babysit our Hobbes for a week in easter as a taster if ya like ;)

if you really need a sitter for your lizard would kindly do that for you, as we have a 10 yr old whos been pestering for a lizard for about a year.
would give her a little experience aswell