PDA

View Full Version : gritters

smith892316
11-Feb-09, 13:20
well the council were gritting my street today (pennyland drive) and he was driving about 5mph so i went out after he passed and there was not 1 peice of grit on the road then he passed again about half hour later and again no grit on the road and the machine on the back of the gritter was spinning round surley he would know if there was no salt/grit in the back
of his lorry [disgust][disgust][disgust]

any thoughts thanx

blackcat
11-Feb-09, 13:34
Saving money!

sam
11-Feb-09, 13:35
why not flag him down and ask him lol, just a thought :)

Rheghead
11-Feb-09, 13:37
I would like to personally thank and congratulate the local gritters who did a brilliant job yesterday. They responded excellently to a real sudden downpour of snow and kept vital roads open.

ShelleyCowie
11-Feb-09, 13:37
Same in my street....Calder drive.

crashbandicoot1979
11-Feb-09, 13:43
I would like to personally thank and congratulate the local gritters who did a brilliant job yesterday. They responded excellently to a real sudden downpour of snow and kept vital roads open.

I second that, plus a big thanks to the gritters in Sutherland too. I had to go up the strath of kildonan yesterday and they had done a wonderful job of clearing the road.

crashbandicoot1979
11-Feb-09, 13:45
why not flag him down and ask him lol, just a thought :)

Or you could phone the council's TEC services on 01955 607761, maybe they could give you an explanation.

sam
11-Feb-09, 13:50
dont know about gritters but maybe its possible there was a blockage the driver wasnt aware of, so by stopping him you would make him aware, thats my thoughts anway.

Kodiak
11-Feb-09, 13:50
Well at least you had a Gritter, maybey with no Grit, but still you had one. We have yet to see one and our road is in a real state and there is no way at present I can drive down it.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for this afternoon that we will get a gritter around then. It must be our turn sometime soon.

Moonboots
11-Feb-09, 13:56
I havnt seen a gritter either..
I know that they do the more important routes first so maybe that would explain the timescale.
Mind you a week ago the gritter was through my street and there were hardly abit of snow then [lol]

Phoebus_Apollo
11-Feb-09, 14:00
well the council were gritting my street today (pennyland drive) and he was driving about 5mph so i went out after he passed and there was not 1 peice of grit on the road then he passed again about half hour later and again no grit on the road and the machine on the back of the gritter was spinning round surley he would know if there was no salt/grit in the back
of his lorry [disgust][disgust][disgust]

any thoughts thanx

I think this is a case of their "damned if the do - damned if they don`t"

crashbandicoot1979
11-Feb-09, 14:11
dont know about gritters but maybe its possible there was a blockage the driver wasnt aware of, so by stopping him you would make him aware, thats my thoughts anway.

Good point Sam.

The roads in the estate I live have not been gritted today. I don't mind though, as I managed to eventually get the car out the snow and make it to the main road OK and thankfully it was clear. Theres just no feasible way they can grit every road so as long as they're gritting the main/busiest routes, thats more important. I can cope with dodgy minor roads as long as the main road is clear.

hotrod4
11-Feb-09, 14:11
Last Sunday I passed not one but TWO gritters gritting the same bit of road!!!!! 1/2 mile apart.Why one couldnt do the other side of the road is beyond me,but they put 2 following each other,its bonkers I tell ye.