PDA

View Full Version : school closures

larcc
11-Feb-09, 08:27
Thurso High School is closed to all pupils on the highland council website...

also Miller Acadamy is too

ett23
11-Feb-09, 08:41
Can't see Miller on the list yet? Where did you find out about it?

ett23
11-Feb-09, 08:43
I just phoned the helpline and Miller Academy Primary is closed to all pupils - but open to staff if able to travel!

footie chick
11-Feb-09, 08:44
School closures have just been on MFR, alot of schools don't seem to appear on the council list very quickly if at all you're better off listening to the radio to get the information.

Allsorts
11-Feb-09, 08:45
It was on MFR this morning along with Halkirk

ett23
11-Feb-09, 08:46
Yeah, there's only 2 schools down on the list here so far: http://www.schoolclosures.highlandschools.org.uk/index.asp?areaid=1

Reay primary and THS. But miller is definitely closed too. :roll:

molly
11-Feb-09, 08:48
Hi , I just phoned the emergency number and was advised that Pennyland primary is closed today due to bad weather. Stay in bed.

alanatkie
11-Feb-09, 09:15
Castletown is also closed.
Thats a shock - we never hear this early :eek:

unicorn
11-Feb-09, 09:23
MFR closure list is more up to date http://www.mfr.co.uk/article.asp?id=180535

edayhouse
11-Feb-09, 10:45
Does anyone know if it is closing??

Scarybiscuits03
11-Feb-09, 10:54
Mount Pleasant is open today including the nursery

router
11-Feb-09, 10:59
MFR closure list is more up to date http://www.mfr.co.uk/article.asp?id=180535

No it aint. Theres nothing on the list that says south school wick is closed, and so the children set off this morn as usual only to find out it was shut.
Phone the schools if u are unsure as these lists can be wrong.

Bill Fernie
11-Feb-09, 11:13
I am in Inverness today but just received a notification about school closures as follows -
Closed today
SCHOOL Date Time Closed Reason Notified Relevant People - Detail
BOWER PRIMARY 11.2.09 Bad Weather
CANISBAY PRIMARY 11.2.09 Bad Weather
CASTLETOWN PRIMARY 11.2.09 Bad Weather
CROSSROADS PRIMARY 11.2.09 Bad Weather
DUNBEATH PRIMARY 11.2.09 Bad Weather
HALKIRK PRIMARY 11.2.09 Bad Weather
HILLHEAD PRIMARY 11.2.09 Bad Weather
KEISS PRIMARY 11.2.09 Bad Weather
LYBSTER PRIMARY 11.2.09 Bad Weather
MILLER ACADEMY PRIMARY 11.2.09 Bad Weather (open to staff)
MOUNT PLEASANT PRIMARY No details
NORTH WICK PRIMARY 11.2.09 Bad Weather
PENNYLAND PRIMARY 11.2.09 Bad Weather
PULTENEYTOWN ACADEMY PRIMARY
REAY PRIMARY 11.2.09 Bad Weather
SOUTH WICK PRIMARY 11.2.09 Bad Weather
THRUMSTER PRIMARY 11.2.09 Bad Weather
THURSO HIGH SCHOOL 11.2.09 Bad Weather
WATTEN PRIMARY 11.2.09 Bad Weather
WICK HIGH SCHOOL 11.2.09 Schools open to town & country pupils & buses running on main roads only
MOUNT PLEASANT SPECIAL EDUC. UNIT, CASTLETOWN No details
CAITHNESS EARLY YEARS AUTISM CENTRE, WICK 11.2.09 Bad Weather
THURSO HIGH SCHOOL SPECIAL ED UNIT 11.2.09 Bad Weather

Sorry layout is messy but it came from a table.

School closures for bad weather etc are listed on web site at
http://www.schoolclosures.highlandschools.org.uk/index.asp?areaid=1

Venture
11-Feb-09, 11:23
No it aint. Theres nothing on the list that says south school wick is closed, and so the children set off this morn as usual only to find out it was shut.
Phone the schools if u are unsure as these lists can be wrong.

If anyone is unsure about whether their school is open or not they should phone the Adverse Weather Helpline, NOT the school. Each parent should have a code to enter on the helpline for their particular school. This helpline was set up to stop people phoning the school and jamming their lines with numerous calls.

Cattach
11-Feb-09, 11:26
Can't see Miller on the list yet? Where did you find out about it?

Was on the school's system at 7.30am which is best way to find out . Also one of first on Moray Firth Radio along with Halkirk at abot 7.40am.

Easy to phone school emergency number and not bother the school when busy getting things organised. We keep the number pinned on the kitchen notice board and check from about 7.15 onwards.

Venture
11-Feb-09, 11:29
I am in Inverness today but just received a notification about school closures as follows -
Closed today
SCHOOL Date Time Closed Reason Notified Relevant People - Detail
BOWER PRIMARY 11.2.09 Bad Weather
CANISBAY PRIMARY 11.2.09 Bad Weather
CASTLETOWN PRIMARY 11.2.09 Bad Weather
CROSSROADS PRIMARY 11.2.09 Bad Weather
DUNBEATH PRIMARY 11.2.09 Bad Weather
HALKIRK PRIMARY 11.2.09 Bad Weather
HILLHEAD PRIMARY 11.2.09 Bad Weather
KEISS PRIMARY 11.2.09 Bad Weather
LYBSTER PRIMARY 11.2.09 Bad Weather
MILLER ACADEMY PRIMARY 11.2.09 Bad Weather (open to staff)
MOUNT PLEASANT PRIMARY No details
NORTH WICK PRIMARY 11.2.09 Bad Weather
PENNYLAND PRIMARY 11.2.09 Bad Weather
PULTENEYTOWN ACADEMY PRIMARY
REAY PRIMARY 11.2.09 Bad Weather
SOUTH WICK PRIMARY 11.2.09 Bad Weather
THRUMSTER PRIMARY 11.2.09 Bad Weather
THURSO HIGH SCHOOL 11.2.09 Bad Weather
WATTEN PRIMARY 11.2.09 Bad Weather
WICK HIGH SCHOOL 11.2.09 Schools open to town & country pupils & buses running on main roads only
MOUNT PLEASANT SPECIAL EDUC. UNIT, CASTLETOWN No details
CAITHNESS EARLY YEARS AUTISM CENTRE, WICK 11.2.09 Bad Weather
THURSO HIGH SCHOOL SPECIAL ED UNIT 11.2.09 Bad Weather

Sorry layout is messy but it came from a table.

School closures for bad weather etc are listed on web site at
http://www.schoolclosures.highlandschools.org.uk/index.asp?areaid=1

I notice you have Pulteneytown Academy in that list Bill. Although there is no details beside it, people might think it is now closed. It's not on the HC closure website. It is open as normal and the concert scheduled for this afternoon is going ahead.

Bill Fernie
11-Feb-09, 11:32
Yes you are correct. The list is sent out but if no details agsint it then it is presumed to be open.

Venture
11-Feb-09, 11:35
Was on the school's system at 7.30am which is best way to find out . Also one of first on Moray Firth Radio along with Halkirk at abot 7.40am.

Easy to phone school emergency number and not bother the school when busy getting things organised. We keep the number pinned on the kitchen notice board and check from about 7.15 onwards.

You're right Cattach it is easy and the most reliable as the message is done from the school by the head teacher on that particular day. MFR do a great job with the information they give but they do sometimes get it wrong and its easy to miss a broadcast at such a busy time of morning for parents.

ett23
11-Feb-09, 11:49

I phoned the school helpline as soon as I got up - 7am but no new message, kept trying until I finally got the updated message detailing school closure - you may notice my following post a few minutes later explaining that!

BRIE
11-Feb-09, 12:17
Think the rector at wick high school tries to keep the school open no matter what the weather.
Kids got halfway to school last week but roads were really bad so bus driver rang rector to say how bad it was, rector said keep going! bus driver rang again further up the road to say roads were now lethal as bus was sliding around road, rector told him the kids still had to be brought into school!! :eek:

anneoctober
11-Feb-09, 12:18
Our Louise went to Pennyland school, halfway there met P1's coming back saying school was closed. She ran back home to mum in tears bawling "I want to go to school!" Think of my daughter today who will be trying to pacify my grandaughter.........:eek:[lol]

Thumper
11-Feb-09, 12:20
Am I being thick or what?On the front page there is a link to the Highland council page that lists schools thta are closed,but half of the schools arent on it?My sons school is closed but not listed :confused why isnt it more up to date?Spent half the morning checking it and then found out it was closed by reading the forums [lol] x

alanatkie
11-Feb-09, 12:34
Am I being thick or what?On the front page there is a link to the Highland council page that lists schools thta are closed,but half of the schools arent on it?My sons school is closed but not listed :confused why isnt it more up to date?Spent half the morning checking it and then found out it was closed by reading the forums [lol] x

I only knew it was closed as i put on mfr - no point in calling helpline number as we are usually last to get ours updated & never usually as early as we did - have seen us not being told till we arrive at school with kids :D

Thumper
11-Feb-09, 12:39
Ah I did have MFR on but must have missed it!As you know our school is very slow at letting us know by which time the kids are all up and dressed and ready to go!x

marlyn
11-Feb-09, 12:47

Also if you phone the school - chances are there will not be anyone to answer it! The office staff don't start until 8.30.

Would agree that the emergency helpline is the way to go.

marlyn
11-Feb-09, 12:48
I just phoned the helpline and Miller Academy Primary is closed to all pupils - but open to staff if able to travel!

Lucky staff!!

rfr10
11-Feb-09, 16:24

As far as I know, the school log into the website and they submit any relevant information to say if the school is closed. Maybe some schools just don't bother..