PDA

View Full Version : It will come in

Kevin Milkins
11-Feb-09, 01:27
Am I on my own for hanging on to stuff that ought to be got rid of but you put it in the shed, attic or cupbored and say "best hang on to that as it will come in ".

I am sure I am the worlds worse for this (or so Mrs M tells me), but I have a warm glow of satisfaction this week.

I used to be a DIY sales rep that called on independant retailers ironmongers etc with a little sample box of goodies that we had on offer and after about 2 weeks of in and out of the box my samples got knocked about and not saleable so ended up in my shed.

one of the many items we sold was De-Icer and it used to come up on promotion often so I have a good supply of it because I have never needed it ,but hung on to it just in case.

Because of this cold snap I am on my third tin (although rusty it still works.) . Has anyone held on to somthing (just in case and it has turned out to be a life saver)?

Julia
11-Feb-09, 01:35
They say that if you haven't used something for six months then you probably don't need it, I tend to be quite ruthless at times but I do have a small junk drawer where I have been known to stash items I think may come in handy later. For being female I do have quite a collection of tools and other bits and bobs that you'd expect a bloke to hoard.

brokencross
11-Feb-09, 08:23
I too have fallen into the "that may come in handy" mode.
My car free, but very full garage is testament to that.
I think it may be genetic, my dad was exactly the same. He had bits of wood, carpet, stray screws and nails, wallpaper and paint from projects long gone and lots of stuff would probably qualify for the Antiques Roadshow

kriklah
11-Feb-09, 08:33
i am currently going through the whole house, cupboards/garage/attics, ruthlessly getting rid of all the "ooh that will come in useful one day" stuff! i am at the stage now of thinking " well if it hasnt come in useful in the 5 years its been in there, it can go!!!" the recycling centre and charity shops are getting the lot!! of course there are a few things im keeping, even though i know ill never use them again(bag of my favorite baby clothes being the worst culprit, but hey, i could be a granny oneday even if my eldest is only 12 just now) so by the time im done spring (or should i say winter) cleaning, ill already have the new hoard of usefully useless stuff well under way!!

brokencross
11-Feb-09, 09:08
Goodness, I totally forgot about the attic and baby stuff; we have enough baby books to stock a library and cuddly toys to run our own toy zoo.

Also our corner kitchen cupboard under the sink which is really bad for access; I am sure no-one has ventured a look in there since we moved in 14 years ago. it must be full of "useful" kitchen gadgets. Due to the time scale, do you think I will need an archeology licence to explore and catalogue.

hotrod4
11-Feb-09, 09:37
I still have my breville sandwich maker which must rank as the most unused item ever! It comes out of the cupboard maybe once a year. Use the george foreman for toasties now but feel guilty and take the breville out!!! How sad am I!!!:lol:

Gizmo
11-Feb-09, 10:24
I am a fully paid up member of the 'Hoarders Society' and if i don't cancel my membership soon i'm going to end up like Steptoe & Son when i'm older, i did have a 'blitz' on the loft a couple of years ago when i moved house, i chucked out loads of stuff...and wadda ya know, two of the things i threw out turned out to be needed again, so they had to be replaced....Grrrrrr:D

Kenn
11-Feb-09, 10:43
Can equate to that gizmo, OH decided to turf out all the dross from the garage amongst which were alot of plumbing fittings.
Needless to say when the tap started leaking he did n't have the right size washer!

Kevin Milkins
11-Feb-09, 11:01
Many years ago I bought a 1960 Morris 1000 and in them days a heater was an optional extra.

After the first winter of shivering in it I splashed out on a brand new heater.:Razz

Not long after the gearbox went duff and it failed the MOT as it was rotten underneath so I bought another Moggy and salvged what was good off the old just in case.

Over the years I had a succestion of moggys and some of the bits I had saved did come in ,but the heater hung on a peice of string in the garage for 15 years untill I had a big clear out and sent it up the tip.

Not long after I had a new nieghbour move in and he was renovating a 1959 Moggy and he needed just a couple of bits to finnish it off.

You can guess the rest and I was so angry that I didn't even tell him that the very bit he had been searching for went up the tip about a month preivious.

Gizmo
11-Feb-09, 11:26
Many years ago I bought a 1960 Morris 1000 and in them days a heater was an optional extra.

After the first winter of shivering in it I splashed out on a brand new heater.:Razz

Not long after the gearbox went duff and it failed the MOT as it was rotten underneath so I bought another Moggy and salvged what was good off the old just in case.

Over the years I had a succestion of moggys and some of the bits I had saved did come in ,but the heater hung on a peice of string in the garage for 15 years untill I had a big clear out and sent it up the tip.

Not long after I had a new nieghbour move in and he was renovating a 1959 Moggy and he needed just a couple of bits to finnish it off.

You can guess the rest and I was so angry that I didn't even tell him that the very bit he had been searching for went up the tip about a month preivious.

I think the technical term is..."Sod's Law"...:lol:

wifie
11-Feb-09, 11:50
They say that if you haven't used something for six months then you probably don't need it, I tend to be quite ruthless at times but I do have a small junk drawer where I have been known to stash items I think may come in handy later. For being female I do have quite a collection of tools and other bits and bobs that you'd expect a bloke to hoard.

Me too Julia - most of the tools in this house belong to me! :D I have been told this week tho that I should not hang on to old screws :( only if they haven't been used should I keep them! I am very ruthless but not quite minimalist after several house moves - so much easier! Possessions only stress you out!

Anne x
11-Feb-09, 12:06
My Oh must hold the record for Garden Hose connections and probably is keeping the Company in business everytime we shop at Garden Centres (A lot ) etc he purchases another bit and they are all over the garage he of course denies it all and says they will come in handy !!!

anneoctober
11-Feb-09, 12:22
Am I on my own for hanging on to stuff that ought to be got rid of but you put it in the shed, attic or cupbored and say "best hang on to that as it will come in ".

I am sure I am the worlds worse for this (or so Mrs M tells me), but I have a warm glow of satisfaction this week.

I used to be a DIY sales rep that called on independant retailers ironmongers etc with a little sample box of goodies that we had on offer and after about 2 weeks of in and out of the box my samples got knocked about and not saleable so ended up in my shed.

one of the many items we sold was De-Icer and it used to come up on promotion often so I have a good supply of it because I have never needed it ,but hung on to it just in case.

Because of this cold snap I am on my third tin (although rusty it still works.) . Has anyone held on to somthing (just in case and it has turned out to be a life saver)?
I thought that this was essentially a "MAN" thing, until my OH pointed out my pile of mags, with recipies etc which I may make at some point in the future.............. I'll cut them out and recycle the mags.............when I get a minute.....maybe.........[lol]

domino
11-Feb-09, 20:55
What about that tin with the wee drop paint in it?

joxville
11-Feb-09, 21:00
What about that tin with the wee drop paint in it?

We got a new paint storage cupboard at work on Monday and boss asked me to empty the old one and put it in the skip. Once done, he told me to put all the tins back into new cupboard, even though some were from when building was originally erected in 1982!

oag
11-Feb-09, 21:11
hi just like you one year mum gave me the tools and the husband got a dressing gown .

Whitewater
12-Feb-09, 00:54
I tend to be a hoarder although I do try to have a clean out once a year or so, but generally all I do is relocate the stuff. My wife keeps insisting I get rid of half the junk, but I notice that she often asks if we might have such and such an item as one of her friends has broken something or it may be useful at work. My son in law, who is a plumber, often comes up for a look if he is on a job that needs odd parts or imperial fittings. I reluctantly chucked out a stair carpet last year, just realised our house, which we have now lived in for 25yrs does not have a stairs, and it was no use to my daughter as she has three flights. The demand for false teeth has fallen in the last few years so I guess I'll have to let them go as well.

Dadie
12-Feb-09, 01:21
I ignore the existance of the shed.. its full off it will be handy one day stuff, but as its his domain Im in denial, but, I have drawers of stuff that will be handy someday stuff in the house too (but I know it will be! whats wrong with sellotape and battery hoarding?) different things are important to different people, but, I dont want his stuff to creep into the house!
besides if you do throw any of it out you will need it!

my collection of odd socks perplexes himself though!